EQ in the Loop

ewill52

MXR 10 band is at the house. I've got it on the board and wired up, just wrapped it up this morning before leaving for work so I didn't get to start tinkering. As I'm thinking about it on the way to work though, I'm questioning where it needs to sit in the chain...or if it even matters?

So....eq in the loop....before time based effects or should it be the last thing in the chain?

sloppy fingers":388tuec4 said:
I use mine first in the loop before any other effects

That's what I'm thinking is the "right" way....eq the incoming signal but not the time-based stuff.

1 is good, 2 is great :rock:
1 as the last pedal, right in the front of the amp (with a frown)
1 as the first pedal in the loop (with an evil smile)

mctallica1":10gmqsmc said:
I put my MXR 10 Bands first.

I have one in the loop of every amp I own.

Love that EQ!
Plus 100000 on this!!
It’s a must have for me. Last 10 years!
Total secret weapon. Surprised more guys don’t do this.

Mailman1971":36jho4l8 said:
mctallica1":36jho4l8 said:
I put my MXR 10 Bands first.

I have one in the loop of every amp I own.

Love that EQ!
Plus 100000 on this!!
It’s a must have for me. Last 10 years!
Total secret weapon. Surprised more guys don’t do this.

My Boogies agree, must have GEQ!!!!

Moved it to first in line before delay and reverb and started tinkering w\channel 3 of the 101b last night. Unbelievable amount of power to shape sound. I'm sold.

I just picked 2 of these up... will be using it in front of my Bottle rocket and in front of my ENGL artist... I'll mess around with loop or no loop

I used mine last in the chain for a volume boost for solos. Found if I put it before other pedals it would drive the pedals harder and I wouldn’t get and added volume

I just started using a GE7 in the loop after picking up a like new one for peanuts.
I love it, it definitely has benefited my tone. But besides that I use it as a volume reducer for when I play late at night after work. Works excellently. I drop the volume on the GE7 and then boost the lows a little bit and the mids and highs just a hair, because I find they can get lost with low volume.

Only cadveat with EQs are not to overuse them.
Don't be dead in the water tone wise if you're without one...and watch that you don't overuse it. Basically, don't try and make a chicken sandwich out of a hamburger.

Aren't there different mxr 10 bands? A black and a silver... assuming there are differences beyond the paint job?

The silver one is newer, supposed to be quieter. Some (not all) of the black ones are noisy.

To the comment about overusing it; I’d recommend just like when doing mixing, only do slight changes with the EQ. Small changes can make huge differences. I wouldn’t have drastic EQ curves on the pedal, except for the low end for a low cut type drop. The idea is to enhance your base sound (which should already be solid). My 2 cents anyway...

MrDowntown":34sqllnu said:
Aren't there different mxr 10 bands? A black and a silver... assuming there are differences beyond the paint job?

I currently own 4 of the Black ones and have probably owned 10 over the years....never tried the newer silver version.

I’ve read about some people having noise issues with the black ones, but I’ve NEVER had any noise from any of the ones I’ve owned.

I still prefer the old Boss GE-10 EQ. It just adds that magic to the sound. It’s super quiet as well. I rarely use EQ’s in the loop of my amps.

After a fuzz, before the amp to boost / overdrive, in the loop.

Over the decades I have owned several.... Currently using a MXR M108s.

Back