Hard rock/metal pickups for SG? *Updated*

guitarded_1

I just recently scored a 2002 SG standard. Great guitar. It came with BK pickups (not sure which model), which sound great, but I’m looking for something a bit hotter. I’m not a modern metal guy - more old school metal like Maiden/Sabbath/Priest. It’s my first SG, and it’s definitely a different animal than my LP. I would like a hotter pickup - maybe like 10-15k. Sonthing that has punchy mids, big tone, and is fairly “alive” sounding, but still has some character to it when you roll down the volume. The pickups in there now are just a touch too PAFish for what I’m shooting for. What’s out there these days that slays in the SG that is somewhat hot but not too over the top?

UPDATE BELOW

I’ve tried a million expensive pickups and the best mid gain pickup I’ve found is the Duncan 59/custom hybrid. It’s just awesome for everything.

When I asked Tim from BKP, he suggested to go extreme or low output. He told me that med-hot pickups get muddy and to either go with a Warpig or something vintage-ish like a Mule or a Riff Raff.

Seymour Duncan Custom, 14K ohms. nice mids push without being too much, tight lows with plenty of high end detail. Can do classic rock, hard rock to metal.

I agree with the Super Distortion but what amp are you using ? You can put hot pickups through a lower gain amp to great effect but if you run hot pickups into a 5153 etc etc etc it’s not going to be pleasant most likely.

I agree with Dirty Fingers. I have also good experience with Alnico Nailbomb in SG (Tribute, I think). Hot, quite fat and not so harsh. Imho SG is very tricky with pickups.

I am using the Tone Zone in the bridge and a PAF master in the neck. The TZ is great to increase the low end in the SG... the guitar is now a proper backup to my Les Paul.

harddriver":2nz3nfmb said:
Seymour Duncan Custom, 14K ohms. nice mids push without being too much, tight lows with plenty of high end detail. Can do classic rock, hard rock to metal.

My go-to, jack of all trades. Excellent for metal.

I never bonded with BKP, I don't know why. I tried a few models, but they're just not for me. I went back to SD for awhile and now use Motor City and PRS pick ups.

For Seymour Duncan the Custom is great. I know folks sometimes don't like the JB but it can also be a great metal pick up. It has the best lead tone of any pick up imo. You might also want to try the new Dave Mustaine sig from them. It is a JB but with a tighter more focused bottom end. I haven't tried one but I want to! I also really liked the Black Winter from Seymour Duncan. The name implies black of modern metal, and while it can do that, it can pretty much do anything else too.

The Motor City Afwayu is my go to now because it has the tightness and compression i want on the lower strings (but still not too tight or dry which I don't like) but has that singing high end sparkle like the JB. Great pick up!

Last, I really love the PRS Tremonti for anything hard rock or metal. It is a HUGE sounding pick up and sings really well for solos too. It's not given much attention when people ask for metal pick up recommendations, but it should be. It is a beast!

I hope this helps.
Jeff

Ive tried several things in my 2011 SG standard. Dirty Fingers, 500T, 498T, bare knuckle pickups Stockholm, and Mule, Motor City Pickups Afwayu. The best one that fit my SG was a Seymour Duncan Custom with the magnet replaced with a A8 magnet. Killer pickup that sounds huge and hot but still a little vintage.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads. We’ll see how they work out...

napalmdeath":1ow9c31i said:
harddriver":1ow9c31i said:

My go-to, jack of all trades. Excellent for metal.
:thumbsup:
Great with almost any guitar, very tight as mentioned. If you have a bright wood it is the perfect match IMO.

I've got 2 SGJ's. In the bridge of one of them, I have a Duncan Custom Custom- good all around pickup. I made a little instagram recording of Judas Priest's hellrider.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bg4ukZcnFTv ... yadventure
The pickup is good all around and can be dynamic when rolled back.

In my other SGJ is a Dean (DMT) Baker Act. It's currently my favourite bridge pickup (I have one in a Charvel as well). Its very hot, uncompressed. Sounds similar to a Dimarzio Fred, but doesn't have that "muffled/ blanket over you amp" sound quality that's associated with Dimarzio pickups. Yes, I know its Dean pickup (and there's no hype machine with dean), but the thing absolutely rips! The tone doesn't really change when the volume is rolled down. It gets quieter, but its kind of a one trick pony. For softer sounds, I combine mine with the neck pickup.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BmmAUDEBb3G ... yadventure

Bloodrock":3nxpqiro said:
I’ve tried a million expensive pickups and the best mid gain pickup I’ve found is the Duncan 59/custom hybrid. It’s just awesome for everything.
THIS...

and SH-14 Duncan Custom 5 (brings out some needed tight low-end that most SG's typically lack a bit (compared to a Les Paul), or a Super Distortion (also brings some extra girth.

I sometimes use a Les Paul Custom in a Maiden/Priest tribute, with a Super D/36th Anniv PAF neck combination. :rock:
(Most of the time though, Charvel So-Cal with a Norton/Air Norton set. kinda bright for Maiden, but + Engl Invader=evens out. )

harddriver":110ntzjt said:
When you all say the Custom,is that the SH-5B ? I had a SH-14 that was some kind of Custom and it was an excellent overall pickup,had it in a string thru ESP LTD EC 1000 and it rocked,so add SH-14B to your list.

Back