Q&A with multi-platinum rock producer Michael Wagener.

When you dial in the eq settings to record vocals, is there a default starting-point that you listen to and tweak or some other less onerous process than I'm currently using?

Jimmie":1d0x5lnn said:
When you dial in the eq settings to record vocals, is there a default starting-point that you listen to and tweak or some other less onerous process than I'm currently using?
I don't use EQ during recording. I work until I find the right mic and preamp, so I don't need EQ. The only signal processing i do while tracking is heavy compression on a mono room mic with the RETRO 176 or Chandler TG-1 and fairly high compression on the vocal, via a Distressor with up to 20 dB gain reduction.

EQing is sooo 80s :thumbsup:

Resurrecting this thread to see if Mr. Wagener might come back for a revisit. A lot has changed/evolved since this thread was last active and I'd love to get his take on some new technology that has sprung up and become affordable for us working stiffs. :rock:

Wow.

This thread is gold. I had just gotten heavy into the gear hole around this time and had zero experience in recording on my own. Wish I had gotten into it earlier but damn, so much good info in here.

Makes me wonder how many other ridiculous threads like this are buried on R-T.

maddnotez":2l7i8dei said:
Wow.

This thread is gold. I had just gotten heavy into the gear hole around this time and had zero experience in recording on my own. Wish I had gotten into it earlier but damn, so much good info in here.

Way back in the day there was a thread about shitting your pants at work. It was painfully funny.....but I think it's long gone. :rock:

IHateRap":ed2tn0sq said:
maddnotez":ed2tn0sq said:
Wow.

Way back in the day there was a thread about shitting your pants at work. It was painfully funny.....but I think it's long gone. :rock:
I still do that every once in a while for old time's sake.

maddnotez":2pj8s1if said:
IHateRap":2pj8s1if said:
maddnotez":2pj8s1if said:
Wow.

I still do that every once in a while for old time's sake.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

raymitchell":bud1md8i said:
Resurrecting this thread to see if Mr. Wagener might come back for a revisit. A lot has changed/evolved since this thread was last active and I'd love to get his take on some new technology that has sprung up and become affordable for us working stiffs. :rock:
Must admit...I got a bit excited when I saw this near the top yesterday. Am also hopeful for a return. :rock:

Ran into this thread while looking for CC Deville info so I thought I'd bump it :LOL: :LOL:

So much killer info in here no matter what your interests are. :yes:

Back