for Skolnick fans

There was a thread about Skolnick awile back, and a handful of forumites went on about how overrated he is, how uninspiring his playing is, meh this, meh, that, yada yada. I love Skolnick, always will. I think he's actually criminally UNDERrated. He's an amazing player.

napalmdeath":7j8wo26n said:
There was a thread about Skolnick awile back, and a handful of forumites went on about how overrated he is, how uninspiring his playing is, meh this, meh, that, yada yada. I love Skolnick, always will. I think he's actually criminally UNDERrated. He's an amazing player.
I vaguely remember that thread and I think my reply was "have you even heard Skolnick play?"

maddnotez":1yutn1sv said:
napalmdeath":1yutn1sv said:
I vaguely remember that thread and I think my reply was "have you even heard Skolnick play?"

Agree with both here.....he was almost Malmsteen level on The New Order(maybe that's why the guy in the video ommitted songs from that album;). He's awesome(Skolnick). Cool video, no doubt dude did a good job there. Thanks for posting.

Skolnick is simply one of the tastiest shredders out there. I think he developed a more unique style since he rejoined Testament compared to his first stint with the band.

thegame":2gpdnop7 said:
Skolnick is simply one of the tastiest shredders out there. I think he developed a more unique style since he rejoined Testament compared to his first stint with the band.

I would agree with that. Possibly the extra Jazz years under his belt.

fek":3488v1tj said:
thegame":3488v1tj said:

Agreed. But, the thing about him, is his uniqueness. Yeah, he's a shredder, but tasteful is right. Chris Amott is another. I like him more than Skolnick, actually. His tasteful use of his pickup positions, how they fit the leads, from shred to melodic, to bluesy in the same lead break is sick. He's another underrated, (and unknown), to many. Probably my favorite current guitar player.

What separates Skolnick from a lot of other guys IMO is his phrasing. Of course there are the sweeps and legatos and a lot of mixolydian, but it's the phrasing that is unique.
That is possibly also the reason why some guys don't appreciate him that much, they don't cope with that.

I saw him on the last date of the tour...he was warmed up after this tour and killed it like I've never seen him before. Was actually shocked how much he whipped ass. I have seen him so many many times and this last show with Slayer was like no other.

exo-metal":3lld568d said:
I saw him on the last date of the tour...he was warmed up after this tour and killed it like I've never seen him before. Was actually shocked how much he whipped ass. I have seen him so many many times and this last show with Slayer was like no other.

Caught the one in St. Louis. I had never seen Slayer or Testament which is crazy because I was huge on both of those bands. Was really awesome to see them.

Yeah, talk about killing it. Holt was brutal and way more aggressive. I thought he was at the top of his game too.

exo-metal":b6hv4ur5 said:
Yeah, talk about killing it. Holt was brutal and way more aggressive. I thought he was at the top of his game too.
If I were to ever get a sig it would be his. Or if I ever got a Custom Shop I would request that paint and binding. Most badass looking guitar ever.

Awesome, big fan of Alex i am. And i agree that recently, he has gotten better than ever, he is more unique and has a style more him than ever.

Love his playing.

This guy kills it too, damn, wish i could play lime that!!!!!!

napalmdeath":d01shpg5 said:
:thumbsup:

thegame":139aaxee said:

napalmdeath":twlwx4gh said:
fek":twlwx4gh said:
thegame":twlwx4gh said:

Agreed. But, the thing about him, is his uniqueness. Yeah, he's a shredder, but tasteful is right. Chris Amott is another. I like him more than Skolnick, actually. His tasteful use of his pickup positions, how they fit the leads, from shred to melodic, to bluesy in the same lead break is sick. He's another underrated, (and unknown), to many. Probably my favorite current guitar player.

Huge Skolnick and Testament fan here! Seen them live well over a dozen times. My issue with him live is that his tone , which is killer , is always buried in effects. I wish he would shut off the verb and delay. My personal opinion of course

Back