Splawn Nitro & Quickrod Axe FX III

Is this how a Splawn sounds? Or is this a delay demo? Wouldn't say I dont like it but a modeler with 68 amps and they all sound like the original amp its modeling is complete horse shit! That fucking chip ain't that big. Sorry! Or is it 250+ amps either way its snake oil. That does not mean this isnt a good product or it does not sound good. It's a rack effect with distortion and effects and yes it does sound good. 250+ amps in a 2U 19" rack is really obnoxious. I'd rather believe I can ride a bicycle to the moon.

Beandust":1bpiyu22 said:
Is this how a Splawn sounds? Or is this a delay demo? Wouldn't say I dont like it but a modeler with 68 amps and they all sound like the original amp its modeling is complete horse shit! That fucking chip ain't that big. Sorry! Or is it 250+ amps either way its snake oil. That does not mean this isnt a good product or it does not sound good. It's a rack effect with distortion and effects and yes it does sound good. 250+ amps in a 2U 19" rack is really obnoxious. I'd rather believe I can ride a bicycle to the moon.

Wow dude. Relax. :scared:

311splawndude":s17ctklj said:
Beandust":s17ctklj said:

Wow dude. Relax. :scared:
Why? This is rigtalk. Maybe search knitting or soft batch amp threads lmaool maybe u have something to add to my opinion instead of your wanna be therapist attempt? Funny

Beandust":29u8nzl3 said:

It sounds like an idealized and mixed and mastered version of a Splawn amp. I don't think they sound like that in the room but no amp does.

peterc52":19v209nh said:
Beandust":19v209nh said:

Hey that's a great example of a nice recorded comparison. And, the AXE records incredibly well and put a great tone out direct to the FOH. Saves a ton of space on the road, and makes recording a breeze compared to a mic in front of a cab etc. Great tool.

But in the room, A/B ing a Marshall preset with a real JMP 2204 it was no contest, not even close, on any level whatsoever. No feel, responsiveness was bleh and overall tone was not really close at all with the real thing. Way far off to my ears. And that was with a FRFR speaker and then through the loop return of my C+.
Anyone thinking they will replace their tube amps with this and be satisfied, good luck. I won't be selling my tube amps. More power to you if it works for you.

That's quite interesting. That's definitely doing a solid comparison! I should just get over it. I just cant understand the whole amp modeler debate. I dont understand the marketing personally. The damn thing sounds good. Why does it have to be sold as it sounds like something it isnt or is supposed to be or sounds exactly like ...etc.. etc. Just my opinion of course. They obviously have a huge data base of satisfied customers. If they didnt market it as 268 amp models would people not buy it? There are many reasons to have and like one ,the easy set up and and the small footprint is impressive. I wouldn't turn my nose up to it as well as I wouldn't wear a fake Rolex. Maybe one day it can be presented as it's own sound and not piggyback off every amp that's ever been played in one small Rack..and maybe it can have power amp as well seeing its rack mount gear and SS

I should note that I would never use a axe-fx live or in a band. I use mine only for practice because of the easy volume control. But can’t deny it sounds good.

peterc52":zp0c56zv said:
I should note that I would never use a axe-fx live or in a band. I use mine only for practice because of the easy volume control. But can’t deny it sounds good.
When I got my AX8 I loved it. So easy to use, and it sounded really good. Like any solid state pre or amp, you don't have to fight the unit ie it is very forgiving and easy to play. But it had to happen...let's compare it to my amps. And that was my mistake lol...no matter how I ran it with an FRFR speaker or tube power it just didn't compare to my tube amps.

Racerxrated":1rsfdszx said:
peterc52":1rsfdszx said:
When I got my AX8 I loved it. So easy to use, and it sounded really good. Like any solid state pre or amp, you don't have to fight the unit ie it is very forgiving and easy to play. But it had to happen...let's compare it to my amps. And that was my mistake lol...no matter how I ran it with an FRFR speaker or tube power it just didn't compare to my tube amps.
Would you say the ax8 was not as good or feel wise when comparing to tube amps? I had one for 3 weeks and tried every value on the power amp section and got pretty frustrated

Beandust":257uz9xc said:
Racerxrated":257uz9xc said:
peterc52":257uz9xc said:
Would you say the ax8 was not as good or feel wise when comparing to tube amps? I had one for 3 weeks and tried every value on the power amp section and got pretty frustrated
No, it's really not even close. Can't be compared to a tube amp for that reason mainly. Granted I didn't mess with tweaking this or that, or buying cab sims...I figured if it's that far off out of the box, no amount of tweaking was gonna make me happy. Tried FRFR and the FX return of a 100w C+.
I think it's a great product for certain uses, but if you love your favorite tube amps and want to replace them with the AXE, sooner or later you're gonna miss the real thing.
Adding one to your collection is a better idea.

Racerxrated":2c8yaygo said:
Beandust":2c8yaygo said:
Racerxrated":2c8yaygo said:
peterc52":2c8yaygo said:
No, it's really not even close. Can't be compared to a tube amp for that reason mainly. Granted I didn't mess with tweaking this or that, or buying cab sims...I figured if it's that far off out of the box, no amount of tweaking was gonna make me happy.
I think it's a great product for certain uses, but if you love your favorite tube amps and want to replace them with the AXE, sooner or later you're gonna miss the real thing.
Adding one to your collection is a better idea.
Thanks T!!! Couldn't :rock: agree more

Beandust":16ghvw5a said:
That's quite interesting. That's definitely doing a solid comparison! I should just get over it. I just cant understand the whole amp modeler debate. I dont understand the marketing personally. The damn thing sounds good. Why does it have to be sold as it sounds like something it isnt or is supposed to be or sounds exactly like ...etc.. etc. Just my opinion of course. They obviously have a huge data base of satisfied customers. If they didnt market it as 268 amp models would people not buy it? There are many reasons to have and like one ,the easy set up and and the small footprint is impressive. I wouldn't turn my nose up to it as well as I wouldn't wear a fake Rolex. Maybe one day it can be presented as it's own sound and not piggyback off every amp that's ever been played in one small Rack..and maybe it can have power amp as well seeing its rack mount gear and SS

Totally get what you're saying. Here's my .02.

It never has sounded like an amp in the room to me. I run it through a Friedman ASM 12 and I've tried some other powered PA options. it's nothing more than a glorified monitor to me. Here's where the AX8 shines (IMHO:)

- I will NEVER be able to get close to affording 1/3 of the amps in this thing. Having this is as close as I'll ever get and it affords me a TON of tonal options.
- I love the effects. I would literally be fine taking out my 101b and stripping a few presets down to just delays and reverbs and using it.
- It is stupid-easy to get really great recorded tones with it.
- Endless tweakability
- If you can come to grips with your sound on stage, the sound coming through the house is (again in my opinion) spectacular. In ear monitors negate the stage sound argument for me (in the instances where I'm running in-ears...not always an option)

It's definitely not replacing any of my amps, but a nice compliment to use with them. I'd like to try one of the matrix power amps and forgo an IR and go directly to a cab and see if it's better than the ASM.

It's definitely not replacing any of my amps, but a nice compliment to use with them. I'd like to try one of the matrix power amps and forgo an IR and go directly to a cab and see if it's better than the ASM.

Very cool! I cant imagine giging with monitors personally but obviously it's a well working set up. Ax8 to FRFR. I like wedges for pa related gear and guitar cabs for just that. All the great innovations of guitar tones / sounds and really good music was created with pure guitar/amp tone. Take 1978 for example. No computers and no DSP chips and some of the same most sought after guitar sounds/tones to this day! EVH!! Had a variac some say. Nothing was computerized or without tubes and definitely did not have the latest and greatest guitar DSP preamp.

I don't own a modeler and this is a bit off topic but the Fractal FX8 is pure heaven. For those who don't know its just the effects from the axefx.
Really helps my tube amps shine

Racerxrated":119v4z09 said:
But in the room, A/B ing a Marshall preset with a real JMP 2204 it was no contest, not even close, on any level whatsoever. No feel, responsiveness was bleh and overall tone was not really close at all with the real thing.
Totally agreed. I've been saying this for awhile and I don't know what it is but Marshall/Marshall style amps seem to be the hardest to recreate with modeling. I don't know if it is the frequency response or the way notes pop or what. Maybe it has to do with the fact that a lot of our favorite tunes were done on Marshalls back in the day and our ears are more critical maybe?

Back