Splawn Nitro & Quickrod Axe FX III

A lot of the presets on the AxeFx are not great IMO. They take a fair amount of adjusting to sound good. That said, I am not using an FRFR rig atm. I've globally turned off the power amp sim and cab sim and am using a Matrix power amp and a real diezel, V30 loaded cab. With this combination, I experience plenty of "in the room" feel and response.

Having owned a C+ and currently own a 2ch recto, I can tell you the tones from the AxeFx are spot on for Mesas IMO. I can't really speak to Marshall type tones, as the only real Marshall I've ever owned was a JVM and that was a long time ago.

As of right now, my only struggle with the AxeFx is the significant learning curve that is required. At least that has been my expereince. I am anxious to try a Monitor/FRFR setup to see if the preset tones improve.

This old man is trying to adapt to technology, it's just taking awhile.

as a former 4 time splawn owner, these aren’t really that close to my ear. the Quickrod one sounds closer, but the punch the real QR delivers doesn’t translate in Leon’s demo. love his Axe vids though, as he goes pretty in depth to help guys out.

Beandust":2nrhmesm said:
Racerxrated":2nrhmesm said:
peterc52":2nrhmesm said:
I should note that I would never use a axe-fx live or in a band. I use mine only for practice because of the easy volume control. But can’t deny it sounds good.
When I got my AX8 I loved it. So easy to use, and it sounded really good. Like any solid state pre or amp, you don't have to fight the unit ie it is very forgiving and easy to play. But it had to happen...let's compare it to my amps. And that was my mistake lol...no matter how I ran it with an FRFR speaker or tube power it just didn't compare to my tube amps.
Would you say the ax8 was not as good or feel wise when comparing to tube amps? I had one for 3 weeks and tried every value on the power amp section and got pretty frustrated

I've owned the AX8 twice and tried to match my "Amp-in-the-room" sound with my Mesa Mark IV. I was doing this a LOT and going back and fourth but I started getting active in bands again playing live and loud and the first thing I did was ditch the Fractal stuff. Other guitar players I play with are using either Mesa or Marshall heads on 4x12's so it would be stupid to play through the PA at practice while the other guy uses a 4x12. And forget FRFR with a monitor....it gets crushed by a loud tube head on a 4x12....ALL IMHO.

I will say the AX8 through the Mark IV's return sounds...good. But it always lost to the amp by itself. I was tired of tweaking and tried everything to really match it.....it doesn't match it. Recorded is another story though. BUT at this point why blow $2500 on a Fractal just to play at home when $100 plug ins now are rivaling the Fractal stuff.

Leon Todd? He's a great YouTuber, spends a lot of time doing videos to help people but do you notice anything? He posts Fractal clips or Mark series, Rectos, IIC+, IV, and other amps and he sounds exactly the same on ALL of his clips.

I agree but I also think that’s HIS tone
If you take any player with the same
Guitar same pickups and playing style
And run them through 2 or 3 higain amps
The sound will be more similar than not

I thought briefly about an AX* to run 4 cable/midi through my EVH combo, but I saw some stuff that there were noise issues using AX8 4 cable? Anyone use the HX effects? and is that worth the coin? I am totally fine with my Strymon El Cap, but wanted a Chorus anyway, just DON'T want anything to make my EVH sound too digital....kinda like TC stuff sounds.

I don't think that video really sounds like a Quick Rod. To much gain and saturation. Although the Fractal model is very accurate. I went back and forth from my amp through a Splawn 2x12 to the AX8 through a power amp into the same 2x12. I was able to dial in a preset on my AX8 that sounds pretty much identical to my amp.

crwnedblasphemy":3nguyq3j said:
as a former 4 time splawn owner, these aren’t really that close to my ear. the Quickrod one sounds closer, but the punch the real QR delivers doesn’t translate in Leon’s demo. love his Axe vids though, as he goes pretty in depth to help guys out.
Yeah the AX8 I had never compared to my Splawn tones. Even the recorded ones. The Nitro/QR tones aren’t close in my opinion. Neither is the Fryette in there. That said, it is a great sounding unit and I want an Axe III.

danyeo":i9pzfved said:
Beandust":i9pzfved said:
Racerxrated":i9pzfved said:
peterc52":i9pzfved said:
I should note that I would never use a axe-fx live or in a band. I use mine only for practice because of the easy volume control. But can’t deny it sounds good.
When I got my AX8 I loved it. So easy to use, and it sounded really good. Like any solid state pre or amp, you don't have to fight the unit ie it is very forgiving and easy to play. But it had to happen...let's compare it to my amps. And that was my mistake lol...no matter how I ran it with an FRFR speaker or tube power it just didn't compare to my tube amps.
Would you say the ax8 was not as good or feel wise when comparing to tube amps? I had one for 3 weeks and tried every value on the power amp section and got pretty frustrated

I've owned the AX8 twice and tried to match my "Amp-in-the-room" sound with my Mesa Mark IV. I was doing this a LOT and going back and fourth but I started getting active in bands again playing live and loud and the first thing I did was ditch the Fractal stuff. Other guitar players I play with are using either Mesa or Marshall heads on 4x12's so it would be stupid to play through the PA at practice while the other guy uses a 4x12. And forget FRFR with a monitor....it gets crushed by a loud tube head on a 4x12....ALL IMHO.

I will say the AX8 through the Mark IV's return sounds...good. But it always lost to the amp by itself. I was tired of tweaking and tried everything to really match it.....it doesn't match it. Recorded is another story though. BUT at this point why blow $2500 on a Fractal just to play at home when $100 plug ins now are rivaling the Fractal stuff.

Leon Todd? He's a great YouTuber, spends a lot of time doing videos to help people but do you notice anything? He posts Fractal clips or Mark series, Rectos, IIC+, IV, and other amps and he sounds exactly the same on ALL of his clips.
Exactly. For someone to sell all his/her tube amps to afford an AXE III, big mistake IMO. For someone to come up with the cash and ADD to their collection, WIN.

This is part of the reason I sold my Kemper. Great tones but after a while I found myself chasing through buying profiles. Nothing sounded quite how I hoped it would. Got a Two Notes Torpedo Studio and that sealed the Kemper’s fate. I vastly prefer my amps with it for recording. I do LOVE my Helix units though. The modeling is super satisfying and it is an incredibly useful tool that I get a ton of mileage out of. It’s killer for gigs where I have to run direct and didn’t cost a fortune. The AX8 sounded great but I did find like someone mentioned about Leon, I sound the same through everything. I don’t need almost 300 amp tones to sound like me.

But I tsill wanna try the AxeIII! Lol!

I went to my buddie's house recently. He bought my 06 QR since i didn't need it after i got the Axe FX. He's a tube guy through and through. I helped him set up his TC Electronics G System with his QR and Marshall 4x12. After we got that setup, i plugged my Axe FX into the same cab with a clean solid state power amp. I will say that even though the Axe FX does everything i need it to, it DOES NOT have the same sound and feel of a roaring tube amp into the same cab. The basic EQ is pretty spot on, but it does miss the 3D feel of a tube amp. Could have been user error too.

crwnedblasphemy":3fqj0n3b said:
^^^yeah, your Crue Tone from their first album was damn good. Made me bust out the vinyl and jam to Take me to the top.
Oh cool man! Thanks! Glad you dig it. I have a few more of these vids in the works.

I think with all these devices - Axe, Kemper, Helix - what most tube amp guys don't like is the fact that its not the sound of an amp in the room.

Take the Kemper for example. The sound of the mic through which you capture the profile is baked into the resultant profile.

That said, I definitely want a Kemper for live playing in cramped environment. I don't usually rock out in stadiums, so I can't really blast any of my amps most of the time.

Of course, if there is the option, I'd pick the real amp more often than not.

Tone Ranger":2rj78lzv said:
I went to my buddie's house recently. He bought my 06 QR since i didn't need it after i got the Axe FX. He's a tube guy through and through. I helped him set up his TC Electronics G System with his QR and Marshall 4x12. After we got that setup, i plugged my Axe FX into the same cab with a clean solid state power amp. I will say that even though the Axe FX does everything i need it to, it DOES NOT have the same sound and feel of a roaring tube amp into the same cab. The basic EQ is pretty spot on, but it does miss the 3D feel of a tube amp. Could have been user error too.
Agreed.

That's the thing too - it is all super subjective. Everyone's needs/situation is different. As much as I like the look, feel, smell and sound of tube amps I still want an Axe FX....

...and a Kemper
...and a Helix
...and a ____________

Back