Need Hair Metal Chorus Pedal...Fast!!

Rock Bodom

Hey all,

Need help pulling the trigger quickly on a chorus pedal that only needs to do one trick...sound great with Marshall high gain for straight on hair metal (Dokkenish). NEED a level control knob!! Already have a Boss CE2W, awesome, but need to dial in level for my current needs.

Again, no need for sounds great clean...I'm no young bearded guy with a boutique tele noodling cleanish blues/prog/whatever. Need the wet tones...the more processed sounding, the better!! Aquanet and spandex all the way...and not a Bare Knuckle pickup in sight, using old school Duncans for proper tonez in guitars with pointy headstocks and sharkfins.

Running mono setup...

Need something I can score online shipped to me before end of week, so something new in production, easy to get at the big shops.

No set budget...just nothing too complicated, can't hook up to computer or need firmware or whatnot (I get lost, and all these popups start showing up in my browser). Just some knobs type of deal.

Is it as simple as Boss CH-1, or something else?? Thanks for help!!

Detune setting on a Whammy pedal, Boss CH-1 (think two of them).

gtr31":3kinpmjz said:
I would say the Boss is fine , true Hair Metal Rocktron or Digitech
Thanks!

Frehley12":3kinpmjz said:
MXR M234 Chorus.
Yes! I had forgotten about that one, wasn't that Zakk Wylde's chorus and the basis for his signature pedal later? Definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for, thanks!!

stompboxfreak72":3gn4z666 said:
The new MXR EVH Chorus sounds awesome!
Yeah, I forgot about this one too! The EVH stuff I've tried has been pretty good...the flanger has been competing for a spot on my board against my old BF2. I keep swapping them out for each other!

paulyc":1uj5lew6 said:
Ibanez CS9 but doesn’t have a level control.
Another really good call...and now that you mention it, Maxon I think has that "pro" version of the CS9 with the blend knob and it's in production.

A little pricier, but wonder how that might stack up...hmmm

Yeah, the level control is what's throwing me off on my old stuff! Not only my CE2, I wish my Dimension C had one as well! I was hoping they would "discretely" add one somewhere on the new Waza version that was announced!

I used all this stuff back in the day and didn't mind...now it's like annoying me lol!!

Rock Bodom":3e21r01x said:
I used all this stuff back in the day and didn't mind...now it's like annoying me lol!!
Actually maybe it did come to think of it...I switched to multi effects and rack stuff after awhile. My all-time favorite chorus back in the day was that Rockman chorus half rack unit. Make THAT in a pedal with a level knob and I'm sold!!!

Rock Bodom":33sgy023 said:
Rock Bodom":33sgy023 said:
Actually maybe it did come to think of it...I switched to multi effects and rack stuff after awhile. My all-time favorite chorus back in the day was that Rockman chorus half rack unit. Make THAT in a pedal with a level knob and I'm sold!!!
The reissue MXR Yellow chorus sounds EXACTLY like the 1/2 rack Rockman one... I have both. The reissue is 5 knobs instead of 3.

paulyc":3suu5bi2 said:
Rock Bodom":3suu5bi2 said:
Rock Bodom":3suu5bi2 said:
The reissue MXR Yellow chorus sounds EXACTLY like the 1/2 rack Rockman one... I have both. The reissue is 5 knobs instead of 3.
Seriously??!!!!

Oh geez...alright man, that hooked me!! I gotta try it...will order for this week, thanks!

Appreciate all the recommendations guys...I got the feeling I'll still get on a kick and try a few more of these out...to fake quote Hunter Thompson, "there is nothing more helpless and irresponsible than a man in the depths of a chorus pedal binge."

midnightlaundry":2eos8hyp said:
Nobody on this board knows anything about Hair Metal..
I honestly don't think I've ever been on a board where more "Lay it Down" clips have been posted than here, back in the day especially!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I'd look at the TC Corona Chorus, MXR Analog Chorus and the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble.

The digi tech luxe is a detune pedal. Lots of hair metal was recorded with rack mount detune. Otherwise the tc Corona chorus. Does a fair job. The detune nails the 80's hair metal rhythm as it what they used a the thickner.

Be aware that the MXR M234 (which is the same as the Zakk chorus) does darken your tone and its buffer isn't all that. In the footswitchable loop of my EVH 5150III 50W it was even noticeable by untrained ears. Bye-bye punch and clarity. It does do the good chewy tone... think WASP's Holmes lead sound on "I wanna be somebody".

The Providence Anadime 2 and 3 knob versions do something weird with your tone too... Sounds great when played with clean tones, but it neuters your tone with high gain.
Never cared for the Boss CH-1, unless you're playing stereo. Also owned the analog version of the CE-5, but that too was so-so. Both a bit too sterile for me. Same for the TC Corona.
Boss CE-2 has always been my benchmark, but these days I find the mid-boost a tad overbearing. I use Mooer Ensemble Kings, as they do the CE-2 tone 99%, with less mid-boost and you have a level control added.

Other good choruses for the hair metal sound would be the MXR Micro Chorus and an Ibanez BC9. Especially the BC9 can get really thick and juicy.
By the way, the new Boss DC-2W that's coming out...should be interesting too!

D-Rock":3dr5riju said:
I'd look at the TC Corona Chorus, MXR Analog Chorus and the Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble.
Yeah, Corona I was curious about too!!

So the Boss CE-5...I've watched/read endless comparisons of it to the CH-1...still trying to figure out the difference in a high gain context!!

Is one noticeably "thicker" sounding than the other when playing the wholesome hard rock and heavy metals??

Back