At Metallica right now....(AXE FX)

sucks being at a show with a bad live sound. So many things come into play though, do you know what kind of strings they were using? ....just joking.

Even though I prefer amps I doubt it’s the Axe and more the overall tonal/EQ choices of James, Kirk their techs and FOH. I remember a few vids from when I believe a VH4 was the primary and the sound was horrendous. A much lighter, less saturated tone but warm with no sharp attack.

That Stern video was great.

My guess is that it's the venue. I saw Megadeth a few years back at a club (2000 seater) and it was awesome. I asked the tech side stage what they were using, as it sounded so good. He said thanks, they're AXE II's, I programmed 'em.

Now different bands, different techs, etc...but with Metallica money, I doubt it's the sound going into the PA that is the problem.

One of the worst, echoey, boomy, concerts I've seen in my life was Metallica on the Black Album tour and I know it sounded so rough because it was so loud and in the Hampton Coliseum in Virginia which just bounced sounds in all directions. I enjoyed the show because I knew the songs, etc. but have to admit it was hard to hear things.

I've seen them 3 times so far on this tour , and I thought their tone was awesome every time. Different strokes for different folks !

BYTOR":2d407n60 said:
There has been tons of complaints about Metallica’s live tone for years now. Long before they ever used the Axe FX.
But these complaints only come from the 0.1% that’s made up of gear nerds and tone snobs like us here on RT. The other 99.9% think it sounds great.

Tone Monster":2kx0cgtr said:
glip22":2kx0cgtr said:
I'm going end of month. The venue is outstanding for live tone so we will see. The venue makes a huge difference

No doubt. I was outside at austin City Limits. So....
Most quality sound guys prefer outdoor venues because they aren’t fighting structural reverb and delays. Gives them more control.

nevusofota":3ihbt68i said:
BYTOR":3ihbt68i said:
There has been tons of complaints about Metallica’s live tone for years now. Long before they ever used the Axe FX.
But these complaints only come from the 0.1% that’s made up of gear nerds and tone snobs like us here on RT. The other 99.9% think it sounds great.

True but this is a gear board!

nevusofota":1x6za5ov said:
Tone Monster":1x6za5ov said:
glip22":1x6za5ov said:
I'm going end of month. The venue is outstanding for live tone so we will see. The venue makes a huge difference

No doubt. I was outside at austin City Limits. So....
Most quality sound guys prefer outdoor venues because they aren’t fighting structural reverb and delays. Gives them more control.

I had that exact thought at the concert. No reflections to deal with. It was boomy mush.

jeezooz the internet. This guy takes his phone out in the middle of a show to post nonsense on RT.

So within thousands of variable starting from the venue, the PA, the techs, the actual settings on the Axe and the artists' preferences and choices you were able to single out that the fault MUST be in the AxeFX and that the "old Mesa" would fix everything. Well done you!

kunos":2akngsuq said:
jeezooz the internet. This guy takes his phone out in the middle of a show to post nonsense on RT.

So within thousands of variable starting from the venue, the PA, the techs, the actual settings on the Axe and the artists' preferences and choices you were able to single out that the fault MUST be in the AxeFX and that the "old Mesa" would fix everything. Well done you!

Can you read? I said more than once it could be the venue.

I guess for Metallica, if there are maybe 1000 people at an arena show who really pay attention to gear and only 750 think their tone is shit, they are more than ok with the other 20+,000 that have no ears and are just so "pumped" to see "Metallllliiicaaaaaaaaa" . zzzzz I also think they are sloppy as hell now and that their tone is shit. I just have zero interest in them anymore and haven't in over ten years. They were great though, no question.

BYTOR":1u5ixy0x said:
skoora":1u5ixy0x said:
Even though I prefer amps I doubt it’s the Axe and more the overall tonal/EQ choices of James, Kirk their techs and FOH. I remember a few vids from when I believe a VH4 was the primary and the sound was horrendous. A much lighter, less saturated tone but warm with no sharp attack.

This.

I can't believe we still have tone trolls who think that Axe-FX or Kempers are the cause of bad live tone. Anyone who has run large venue live sound or done studio recording knows the culprit for bad tone almost always lies somewhere after the amp.

I've been going to shows is arenas since the early 80's.

Most of the shows I've seen have sounded fantastic. AC/DC, Priest, Dio, Van Halen, Maiden, Metallica, Accept, Crue............and on and on.

You'd think with the advent over modern p.a. systems and power sources that the sound would be much better than the old days.

Theater's are a different story altogether.

squank":2req4nku said:
BYTOR":2req4nku said:
skoora":2req4nku said:

This.

I can't believe we still have tone trolls who think that Axe-FX or Kempers are the cause of bad live tone. Anyone who has run large venue live sound or done studio recording knows the culprit for bad tone almost always lies somewhere after the amp.

Good goddamn. Does anyone here understand logic or not live with their mother? I never said the AXE was to blame. I own a Kemper and am leaning towards buying a AXE III. I simply said Metallica has a very shitty tone with the AXE II. Tons of variations including venue and artists taste. FUCK! Like a bunch of SJWs. I’m sure as fuck not trolling. Don’t have the energy for that lol.

Tone Monster":1qid6k9x said:
Good goddamn. Does anyone here understand logic or not live with their mother? I never said the AXE was to blame. I own a Kemper and am leaning towards buying a AXE III. I simply said Metallica has a very shitty tone with the AXE II. Tons of variations including venue and artists taste. FUCK! Like a bunch of SJWs. I’m sure as fuck not trolling. Don’t have the energy for that lol.

So why don’t you like the Axe or Kemper man?
Haha, just joking dude, I actually chuckled aloud in reading this, I think that’s the 3rd time you’ve tried clarifying and it just doesn’t seem to matter.

But, food to for thought, headlines draw conclusions.

Back