Need Hair Metal Chorus Pedal...Fast!!

mrhiwatt":14m43yux said:
The digi tech luxe is a detune pedal. Lots of hair metal was recorded with rack mount detune. Otherwise the tc Corona chorus. Does a fair job. The detune nails the 80's hair metal rhythm as it what they used a the thickner.
Yeah...I've always read about the Eventide and all that, I DO want to finally explore this!

Question, whether it is the Luxe, or something similar, does the detune ever sound good mono, or do you really need to run stereo (or wet/dry, or whatnot)?

I had forgotten about this, but a few years back a buddy of mine lent me a Keeley 30ms double tracker pedal to play with, I think that was the same idea? I can not for the love of me remember how it sounded!

Tone Ranger":2hn5c3eo said:
The Danelectro Chorus doesn't have a level knob but it is a very thick sounding pedal.
I've seen that one pop up too, thick sounding tends to be what I'm always looking for...I do still have uses for modulation effects even without the level knob, just needed something with it for the short term, so I'll keep this one the list to check out, thanks!

Speeddemon":1d0o5ooy said:
Be aware that the MXR M234 (which is the same as the Zakk chorus) does darken your tone and its buffer isn't all that.
That's definitely my other concern with some of these...unwanted tone coloring. The rest of my board is complete and is dialed in so nicely, I don't want my quest for chorusy cheese to ruin it all!!

Thanks for the other recommendations...and yeah, cool to see the Boss DC-2W coming out! I have my original still, LOVE that thing! In stereo it is just amazing, total ear candy...same problem, I really am starting to hate not being able to dial in the level!!

Rock Bodom":1wxlwvg3 said:
Speeddemon":1wxlwvg3 said:
Be aware that the MXR M234 (which is the same as the Zakk chorus) does darken your tone and its buffer isn't all that.
That's definitely my other concern with some of these...unwanted tone coloring. The rest of my board is complete and is dialed in so nicely, I don't want my quest for chorusy cheese to ruin it all!!

Thanks for the other recommendations...and yeah, cool to see the Boss DC-2W coming out! I have my original still, LOVE that thing! In stereo it is just amazing, total ear candy...same problem, I really am starting to hate not being able to dial in the level!!
Other pedals that include a buffer already on your board (Boss for example) may help this situation, as well as a dedicated buffer. the level issue could be fixed by using a small mixer (RJM for example).

CH-1 does a great job for that 80's rock thing. Can be subtle to heavy. Boss CE-2 I thought would also do it but if you want to blend it in, get the CE-2B. It is for bass but it is almost an identical circuit and you can dial in how much you want in there. I ride it half way and think it sounds great. No need to break the bank on chorus.

paulyc":1n4i1zfb said:
Rock Bodom":1n4i1zfb said:
Speeddemon":1n4i1zfb said:

Other pedals that include a buffer already on your board (Boss for example) may help this situation, as well as a dedicated buffer. the level issue could be fixed by using a small mixer (RJM for example).
That didn't fix it in the case of the MXR M234 in my situation. I had it in the fx-loop of my amp, with a Boss PS-6 Harmonist(buffered) in front of it and I've tried it with different pedals in front as well. The bypass just has a bit of tonesuck *and* when the chorus IS on, it's slightly darkening the tone too. It is juicy, thick, nice swirly and plays nice with (high)gain, but it's a bit less neutral that I'd like, and mind you, I don't want it to be TOO neutral either.

Actually, the detune setting on the Boss PS6 is rather nice, where you can adjust the percentage of detune as well as the Level/Mix. I was just dead-set on an analog chorus myself.... so far the only contender that isn't too big, to replace the Mooer Ensemble King for me, might be the new Boss DC-2W.

Pete Thorn's demo sounded great!

mrhiwatt":2wk6ry5r said:
corona chorus has level
Gotcha! Yeah, I do want to check this one out.

paulyc":2wk6ry5r said:

This is what I really need to study, I know the basic idea of buffers, but I haven't given it any thought in practice when adding/removing from my board.

Small mixer I've wondered about, I posted a thread last year when I got the CE2W and asked a question about blending in a dry signal so I could adjust the level, and one caution I got with the signals was "can't have them in parallel without phase cancellation". Does this apply using a small mixer like that RJM (that looked pretty easy to use, even for me lol!!), or am I getting things confused?

Kapo_Polenton":og49vrqa said:
CH-1 does a great job for that 80's rock thing. Can be subtle to heavy. Boss CE-2 I thought would also do it but if you want to blend it in, get the CE-2B. It is for bass but it is almost an identical circuit and you can dial in how much you want in there. I ride it half way and think it sounds great. No need to break the bank on chorus.
Yeah, I feel like the CH-1 I gotta just "check the box" on! I agree, if the cheaper pedals do the trick...I would rather figure that out first!

I did NOT know that about the CE-2B, another good option, thanks!!

Speeddemon":1fz7nhfy said:
paulyc":1fz7nhfy said:
Rock Bodom":1fz7nhfy said:
Speeddemon":1fz7nhfy said:

That didn't fix it in the case of the MXR M234 in my situation. I had it in the fx-loop of my amp, with a Boss PS-6 Harmonist(buffered) in front of it and I've tried it with different pedals in front as well. The bypass just has a bit of tonesuck *and* when the chorus IS on, it's slightly darkening the tone too. It is juicy, thick, nice swirly and plays nice with (high)gain, but it's a bit less neutral that I'd like, and mind you, I don't want it to be TOO neutral either.

Actually, the detune setting on the Boss PS6 is rather nice, where you can adjust the percentage of detune as well as the Level/Mix. I was just dead-set on an analog chorus myself.... so far the only contender that isn't too big, to replace the Mooer Ensemble King for me, might be the new Boss DC-2W.

Running an effect in a loop (that is buffered already) shouldn't need any additional buffering. Almost any loop is buffered as far as I know because the signal is line level (preamp level). The issue MAY be that the loop is not pedal level friendly, or too hot for anything but rack gear.

paulyc":3a02d5oq said:
Speeddemon":3a02d5oq said:
paulyc":3a02d5oq said:
Rock Bodom":3a02d5oq said:
Speeddemon":3a02d5oq said:

Running an effect in a loop (that is buffered already) shouldn't need any additional buffering. Almost any loop is buffered as far as I know because the signal is line level (preamp level). The issue MAY be that the loop is not pedal level friendly, or too hot for anything but rack gear.
Trust me, I've tried a whole bunch of different methods; currently still own about 90 (vintage and more modern) pedals and owned & sold many more.... I've been around the block. ;)
-different amps
-M234 in its own TB Loop box-loop
-extensive A/B/C/X comparisons with other chorus pedals, both buffered and true bypass.

This was a pic of one of my AB sessions:
Chorus%20comparison.jpg

If the EVH's loop was to blame, it should also not play nice with other pedals, yet it does. I've posted about this on TGP as well, and a few guys seem to be hearing what I'm hearing.
Note that there are a whole bunch of chorus pedals that neuter your tone a lot worse when turned on, but when those are turned off, they typically leave your base tone be. Not the M234.

I would avoid the following, if you play high gain and don't want the balls/guts of your tone mangled:
EHX Neo Clone, Ammoon Chorus, Valeton AquaFlow (yellow 4 knob), Donner Metric Bender, Deltalab SC1.... and then some.

I'm in no way saying you don't know what you're talking about, I was just advancing a theory about why it might be. If I were using chorus in a loop I'd rather a piece of rack gear, and I ONLY use analog chorus, don't like digital for chorus. The aforementioned Rockman chorus is awesome, as is the LOFT 450 analog delay line, THAT is a kick ass, thick chorus...but now you need a rack.

Speeddemon":q0gnw5i3 said:
If the EVH's loop was to blame, it should also not play nice with other pedals, yet it does. I've posted about this on TGP as well, and a few guys seem to be hearing what I'm hearing.

Not to stray off topic too much here, but I couldn't run ANY of my Boss pedals in the loops of any of my EVH 5153 heads. I noticed you said you had a PS-6 in your mix. For me at least, it was definitely a level issue. Volume drop, dark tone, neutering, whatever folks wanna call it. The EVH loop (at least on the 5153 heads I used to have) does not like Boss pedals. I had other buffered pedals that seemed to work fine, and as far as I can tell, I only had the issue with Boss stuff for some reason.

Back on topic, Fulltone Choralflange, or an old Arion Stereo Chorus SCH-1 maybe? Decent prices on used ones out there. I used the Arion extensively back in my 80s hairband days and really miss it.

I'm using TC Corona and a Empress Nebulus on different boards.
Both get it done very nicely.
The Nebulus has other options and can SAVE different settings for instant recall, nice feature. More $$ of course.

Best of luck

The MXR Black Label, (Zakk Wylde), chorus pedal is a sleeper. I've had mine several years, and it's seen many others come and go. It's excellent. I've not experienced any of the aforementioned issues above, quite the opposite. It has additional tone shaping that works well.

PlayAndersons":3tyefiyf said:
I would add the ISP Impression pedal to the list of pedals you are looking at.
Added...thanks!!

Speeddemon":3tyefiyf said:
I would avoid the following, if you play high gain and don't want the balls/guts of your tone mangled:
EHX Neo Clone, Ammoon Chorus, Valeton AquaFlow (yellow 4 knob), Donner Metric Bender, Deltalab SC1.... and then some.
Yeah...that's good info too, I've run into that with other choruses I've "dabbled" with in the past (as in, purchased, knew it wasn't a great fit, convinced myself I might still have use for it, and after gathering dust for a few months, put up for sale on Reverb!)

Kevin11":3tyefiyf said:
Back on topic, Fulltone Choralflange, or an old Arion Stereo Chorus SCH-1 maybe? Decent prices on used ones out there. I used the Arion extensively back in my 80s hairband days and really miss it.
Oh man...I've been wanting something Arion, just for nostalgia alone, I remember seeing those all the time!

GtarLover":3tyefiyf said:
I'm using TC Corona and a Empress Nebulus on different boards.
Both get it done very nicely.
The Nebulus has other options and can SAVE different settings for instant recall, nice feature. More $$ of course.

Best of luck
Thanks!! The Nebulus intimidates me, but that save feature does sound very useful! Seems like Corona is a popular one!

napalmdeath":3tyefiyf said:
The MXR Black Label, (Zakk Wylde), chorus pedal is a sleeper. I've had mine several years, and it's seen many others come and go. It's excellent. I've not experienced any of the aforementioned issues above, quite the opposite. It has additional tone shaping that works well.
I'll admit it...I was going to try to grab one of these just cause I like the graphics (YES, I'm that GUY LOL!!)
Ok, not just because of that...it/M234 actually came up in a lot of my searches before I posted here for guys who liked it with high gain, glad to hear your experience is good!!

paulyc":u4xigwql said:
The aforementioned Rockman chorus is awesome, as is the LOFT 450 analog delay line, THAT is a kick ass, thick chorus...but now you need a rack.
You know, sliding off track a little here...but that's one of my next projects I'm kicking around...putting the rack back together!!

Still got lying around an old MP-1, BBE (I'm not ready to banish it yet, I know history has turned on this baby, we'll see!!), PCM 41, Intellifex...

Want to add a Rockman chorus to the mix, but between the MP-1 chorus and the Intellifex, not sure if I need it...but I'm sure I'll pick one up anyhow.

But that's a thread for another day!!

Guys, I got the MXR Stereo Chorus inbound tomorrow cause Pauly got me on the Rockman comparison, thanks for ALL of the suggestions and input!!

Still going to be checking a lot of these out though...no doubt the cheaper ones that got mentioned a lot I'll grab sooner rather than later just to try them (CH1, M234/Zakk, Corona, looks like that Mooer pedal is getting a discontinued discount thing going...)...but LOTS of other options I wasn't thinking of too!!

You could try a Danelectro FAB Chorus. Cheap plastic housing but sounds great, and has a Mix/Blend control. Or a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus which has Width and Delay Time settings. Just crank it up for the Hair Metal Chorus Cheese.

Back