Need Hair Metal Chorus Pedal...Fast!!

Kevin11":qs4l4bsg said:
Speeddemon":qs4l4bsg said:
If the EVH's loop was to blame, it should also not play nice with other pedals, yet it does. I've posted about this on TGP as well, and a few guys seem to be hearing what I'm hearing.

Not to stray off topic too much here, but I couldn't run ANY of my Boss pedals in the loops of any of my EVH 5153 heads. I noticed you said you had a PS-6 in your mix. For me at least, it was definitely a level issue. Volume drop, dark tone, neutering, whatever folks wanna call it. The EVH loop (at least on the 5153 heads I used to have) does not like Boss pedals. I had other buffered pedals that seemed to work fine, and as far as I can tell, I only had the issue with Boss stuff for some reason.
Hi kevin, interesting observation for sure! I'll need to try that with some other Boss pedals I have.
My testing with the MXR M234 was in the loop of the EVH both as first pedal, with then other TB or buffered pedals after it, as well as just by itself, and also just by itself, but in its own TB Loop box's loop.
From what I recall, the vintage Boss CE-2 (gots me two of those... :rock: one long dash MIJ and one silver-screw MIJ) didn't exhibit that issue really much.

@napalmdeath
Since the EVH is quite bright and it has a footswitchable fx-loop, you can easily spot the tonal difference, at least in my case. If you place the M234 in an amp with a non-footswitchable fx-loop, you'll have a hard time zooming in on the difference, unless you can put it in a TB Loop Box's loop.

petejt":20u6qfme said:
You could try a Danelectro FAB Chorus. Cheap plastic housing but sounds great, and has a Mix/Blend control. Or a Visual Sound Liquid Chorus which has Width and Delay Time settings. Just crank it up for the Hair Metal Chorus Cheese.
Excellent...more for the list, thanks!!

Got the MXR Stereo Chorus last night...

You know how long I had to spend trying dial that thing in?! Like...3 seconds :LOL: :LOL:

It's like ridiculously perfect...being able to actually set the blend to about 10:30, it just nailed what I was looking for. No weird tone coloration either!! Hold a chord...click the pedal on and off, everything sounds equally clear (no volume weirdness either).

And I joke about the 80's "cheese" factor...but honestly, doesn't it just thicken tone awesomely? Too many dry amps out there these days...so abrasive. Add some mild chorus, a little slapback delay, so many amp clips would sound so much better...at least to these old ears :LOL: :LOL:

Glad to hear it's working for you, congrats!

Now I need to add that to my chorus "want" list, thanks! :LOL: :LOL:

Loved your description, sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. I need old-school thick and lush like Farrah Fawcett's hair, not guitar in a garbage can rolling down a hill. Easy to find the latter, not so much the former.

Rock Bodom":2483yalm said:
Got the MXR Stereo Chorus last night...

You know how long I had to spend trying dial that thing in?! Like...3 seconds :LOL: :LOL:

It's like ridiculously perfect...being able to actually set the blend to about 10:30, it just nailed what I was looking for. No weird tone coloration either!! Hold a chord...click the pedal on and off, everything sounds equally clear (no volume weirdness either).

And I joke about the 80's "cheese" factor...but honestly, doesn't it just thicken tone awesomely? Too many dry amps out there these days...so abrasive. Add some mild chorus, a little slapback delay, so many amp clips would sound so much better...at least to these old ears :LOL: :LOL:

Is that the big yellow one?

Don't know what happened to my post but I mentioned the Source Audio Gemini. Looks like you are all set though.

JerEvil":ms2s59c0 said:
Don't know what happened to my post but I mentioned the Source Audio Gemini. Looks like you are all set though.
Thanks man! Yeah, I needed something quick for a need this weekend, and digging that MXR for sure, but I was also going to later try some more of these out (I’m always trying out new stuff, I have a separate dedicated “test” pedalboard just to swap in new ones and see how they do).

I just took a look at that Gemini pedal, I’m intrigued by that quad chorus setting, this may go on the short list!

If you want some good rack stuff, the Roland SE50 and SE70 are awesome half rack units that do cool delay, Reverb, Chorus etc..., as is the Yamaha EMP100 I think it’s called ? That has the infamous SPX90 “Symphonic” preset ( Zakk chorus) that is super ballsy with high gain. These are all half rack units that do tons of cool stuff and fit in a tiny rack or maybe even on a pedal board., not to mention the all analog Rockman stuff.

paulyc":z6tk6z4p said:
If you want some good rack stuff, the Roland SE50 and SE70 are awesome half rack units that do cool delay, Reverb, Chorus etc..., as is the Yamaha EMP100 I think it’s called ? That has the infamous SPX90 “Symphonic” preset ( Zakk chorus) that is super ballsy with high gain. These are all half rack units that do tons of cool stuff and fit in a tiny rack or maybe even on a pedal board., not to mention the all analog Rockman stuff.
Nice!! Yeah, I’ve definitely gotten the bug to check out more rack stuff too...totally looking into these, thanks.

Oh yeah, that Rockman gear...I used to use the Distortion Generator, the chorus, the eq, and the stereo echo units. Had an X100 too, even ran that into the amp sometimes.

I remember also trying the Sustainor because people kept telling me how it was THE module, but I ended up preferring just the distortion generator with the other stuff I listed above. I’ve been kicking around picking up another one of those too for fun.

Back