Wall of Sound crashes Reaper on rendering to mp3

moon162612

Hi! I've been experiencing an issue with Wall of Sound for half a year or so and hoped it would be fixed, but the problem is still there.

Please find the description below:
1) Open/create a project from scratch
2) Record any audio signal or put any audio file in the project, and insert Wall of Sound in the effects chain for this track
3) Try to render it in mp3 format
4) Try to render it for the second time, and it crashes

The issue is absent if the project doesn't contain the Wall of Sound plugin. Rendering in Wav files also work well.

I have recorded a video for you to demonstrate the issue: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bdnf8lpkmzkup42/WallOfSound-crashes-Reaper.mp4?dl=0
On the video, at first, I render a blank project 3 times in wav, then 3 times in mp3 to show that rendering by itself works well. Then I add WoS plugin and render into wav for 3 times, which also works well. Then I try to render it in mp3, and it crashes on the second time according to the algorithm described above. Then I restart Reaper and repeat rendering into mp3, to reproduce the issue, and it crashes on the second rendering as before.

Please note, that I reinstalled Windows, DAW, and all the plugins a month ago, and the issue existed before reinstallation and after. Also, as I mentioned, everything works fine if WoS is not in the project (I had projects which have a lot of plugins, and they never crashed until I add WoS there).

I use Reaper v5.86/x64, and the issue lasts since around version ~5.5. On the video, I used Wall Of Sound 4.2.6.0 VST plugin.
I also have just noticed that an update to 4.3.1 is available, installed fresh VST3 version and tested. The issue still exists, the update didn't help.
It also doesn't matter what cabs/mics I select in WoS, it crashes DAW with any selection.

Please help me to resolve this issue, as my productivity suffers a lot, as I can not use mp3 export at all.

Thanks!

guillaume_pille":20eqwzf5 said:
moon162612 we're already talking to you on the Help desk, right?
Hello Guillaume!
Thank you for the prompt reply. I created a ticket (Ticket number: 9591) as well, where I referred to this forum thread. I haven't received a reply from the Help Desk yet, though.

Thanks.

I've just received a response from the software engineering team that the root cause has been identified and will be fixed in the next release.
I didn't expect such a quick turnaround. You, guys, are awesome!

Hi, Guillaume,

It looks like after 5 months the issue still has not been resolved. The new version of WoS was released, but it still crashes reaper on rendering files to mp3.
Can you please help to get it fixed?

Rendering in mp3 is an absolutely crucial feature, which I use to share the interim work results with teammates, which I can not use with WoS, as it crashes the DAW every other render.

With the latest version it behaves differently though. The previous version crashed Reaper every second render. The new one can either crash from the first try, or can survive several renders. I couldn't figure out the pattern.
This is the video recorded a few mins ago with freshly re-installed WoS 4.3.2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgnpmo0t8feyq ... 8.mp4?dl=0

Thanks.

Hi moon162612, i'll have it put back in the priority list, the problem we have right now is that it's hard to make that bug happen on our side. here is an screenshot of a render I just did, with parameters similar to yours (I'm on Win 10 64 with Reaper:)

CaptureTestRederMP3.JPG

We will do some tests again and try to find a computer that can make that happen.

Thank you, Guillaume,

Meanwhile, I am working with David from support. I've provided him log files and a few new videos.
I also tried to render a 48K project, and it worked well, so probably it is possible that the issue can be reproduced with 96K only (or I was just lucky).

yes I had David reach out to you.

It's a weird issue indeed, especially when the plugging is OK when using Reaper and only the Render crashes.

We'll investigate.

I am more surprised why it crashes specifically when rendered in mp3, and works fine with rendering in wav and ogg.

Back