NCD! Vintage Marshall 4x12

Stramm8

Haven’t posted here in awhile but this was such a cool little score I had to share. Found it on Facebook. 1976 with g12m black backs. It’s in decent shape but it is filthy and reeks of a billion Marlboro Reds and Budweisers. Fuck!! Stink aside, it fucking rips. Kills my v30 loaded cab and my JCM 900 cab. Seems to make any amp sound sweeter.

I started cleaning it up and the tolex is getting there. Any thoughts on the BROWN grill cloth?? I’d like to salvage it if possible. I was thinking of taking the cab apart, pulling the baffle and taping off the wood behind the cloth as best I could. Then spray on some laundry detergent/oxyclean and rinse it gently with a hose?? Any ideas are appreciated!

Attachments

• 676B19C4-739E-46E3-9F9A-1BA68C4B70ED.jpeg
    676B19C4-739E-46E3-9F9A-1BA68C4B70ED.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,340
Clean the tolex with 99 cent store Awesome Cleaner. The cloth isn't going to stand much being done to it without compromising it. Spray with Febreeze, and hope it doesn't stink too bad. If you try to remove it, and clean it, usually it's impossible to get stretched back straight, and looking right.

Better to leave some things alone.

Sweet cab. If you can find a place in Atlanta that has an ozone room, look into it. They are used to repair and take smells from fires/floods from furniture, ect. It shouldn't cost that much money, you would be without the cab for a few days.

Scumback Speakers":9ugg1sqi said:
Clean the tolex with 99 cent store Awesome Cleaner. The cloth isn't going to stand much being done to it without compromising it. Spray with Febreeze, and hope it doesn't stink too bad. If you try to remove it, and clean it, usually it's impossible to get stretched back straight, and looking right.

Thanks!! If anyone would know, it would be you my man!

sutepaj":tvex6lms said:
Sweet cab. If you can find a place in Atlanta that has an ozone room, look into it. They are used to repair and take smells from fires/floods from furniture, ect. It shouldn't cost that much money, you would be without the cab for a few days.

Great idea. I’ll check into it!

Scumback Speakers":3oyzslsp said:

Agreed. I wouldn’t mess with the cloth.

As you know, but most don’t, grill cloth isn’t really “cloth”. It’s typically a paper material that is rolled up tight and weaved into whatever pattern.

There is a spray called Ozium. Works for getting the smoke smell out of cars. They usually have it at the larger drug stores. Small white and blue can.

You shouldn't breathe it after you spray.

The Awesome Cleaner is working like a champ on the tolex. I found a place that rents Ozone Generators. I’m going to give that a shot. Living the grill cloth alone.

+100 on Ozium. I use it to rid the car of any funky smells,,from the month old chik-Fil-a bag that was under the back seat, to the pleasant wreak of the ‘devils lettuce’ in my headliner. Squashes odors with ease. I think it would be a good call for your scenario, plus it’s a vintage cab and you want it to have that ‘look’, which aside from the cig smell, is bad ass!!! Nice score brother!

Coming along nicely. Turns out the tolex is black. I honestly thought it was that Marshall green.

Attachments

• 66632885-C18E-473D-B5CB-6F25526F743C.jpeg
    66632885-C18E-473D-B5CB-6F25526F743C.jpeg
    1,014.6 KB · Views: 1,007
  • 336D05D3-92DD-4D13-ACE8-E3765F5B2841.jpeg
    336D05D3-92DD-4D13-ACE8-E3765F5B2841.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,006
Careful with those plastic handles. Looks like they're pretty weathered, and they may be on their way to breaking on you. If they do, I make replacement metal handles with the same hole attachment size, with chrome grab bars like the ones from the 60's, they just fit the plastic sized handles.

Good luck with the ozone on the cloth!

Scumback Speakers":2lnzoxz8 said:
Careful with those plastic handles. Looks like they're pretty weathered, and they may be on their way to breaking on you. If they do, I make replacement metal handles with the same hole attachment size, with chrome grab bars like the ones from the 60's, they just fit the plastic sized handles.

Good luck with the ozone on the cloth!

I’ll definitly keep that in mind :thumbsup:

These are imo the best cabs made. Not too stiff and those speakers kill, period. I would refin it myself.

Nice! That is my ideal Marshall cab right there. Minus the cig smell.

Bought an older Marshall cab that had the tolex stripped and the wood stained. Looked great but I could not get the smoke smell out. took over my entire jam space so I had to off it.

Damn! I'm in Atlanta and your lucky you saw that before me..;-) Congrats!
I guess I need to start looking at Facebook classifieds more often.

Back