Hard rock/metal pickups for SG? *Updated*

riffermadness":2r023ewm said:
harddriver":2r023ewm said:
Seymour Duncan Custom, 14K ohms. nice mids push without being too much, tight lows with plenty of high end detail. Can do classic rock, hard rock to metal.
When you all say the Custom,is that the SH-5B ? I had a SH-14 that was some kind of Custom and it was an excellent overall pickup,had it in a string thru ESP LTD EC 1000 and it rocked,so add SH-14B to your list.

SH-5Bridge Custom Ceramic magnet 14K ohms resistance. The Custom 5 used to be one coil from custom and one coil from the SH-1B PAF and an A-5 magnet that was custom built on the Duncan forums if I remember right. But it looks like Seymour is marketing the SH-14 just an SH-5 equal wind coils with the A-5 magnet instead of a ceramic magnet.

A motor city detroiter changed my sg into a rocking beast. Love it. The Godwood set in my Explorer is pretty awesome too.

LPMojoGL":islk25vi said:
A motor city detroiter changed my sg into a rocking beast. Love it. The Godwood set in my Explorer is pretty awesome too.

I’m going to try the Marshallhead, and if that doesn’t work, the detroiter is on the list. Godwood is up there too. I have one in my R8 and it’s outrageously good.

harddriver":3lnnsiav said:
riffermadness":3lnnsiav said:
harddriver":3lnnsiav said:
Seymour Duncan Custom, 14K ohms. nice mids push without being too much, tight lows with plenty of high end detail. Can do classic rock, hard rock to metal.
When you all say the Custom,is that the SH-5B ? I had a SH-14 that was some kind of Custom and it was an excellent overall pickup,had it in a string thru ESP LTD EC 1000 and it rocked,so add SH-14B to your list.

SH-5Bridge Custom Ceramic magnet 14K ohms resistance. The Custom 5 used to be one coil from custom and one coil from the SH-1B PAF and an A-5 magnet that was custom built on the Duncan forums if I remember right. But it looks like Seymour is marketing the SH-14 just an SH-5 equal wind coils with the A-5 magnet instead of a ceramic magnet.
SH-14 has always been the Custom 5. It's just the Custom's symmetrically wound coils but with an A5 magnet. It was created by the folks from the Duncan forum by swapping the magnet in a regular Custom (or Custom Custom, for that matter) for Alnico 5.

SH-16 is the '59/Custom Hybrid. That's the one that has one coil from the Custom, one coil from the '59B, and an A5 magnet. That was also created by the folks from the Duncan forum. That one came later.

guitarded_1":1ynmfmdy said:
LPMojoGL":1ynmfmdy said:

I’m going to try the Marshallhead, and if that doesn’t work, the detroiter is on the list. Godwood is up there too. I have one in my R8 and it’s outrageously good.

I've been curious about the Marshallhead, too.

Rex Rocker":xrrpqbd0 said:
SH-16 is the '59/Custom Hybrid. That's the one that has one coil from the Custom, one coil from the '59B, and an A5 magnet. That was also created by the folks from the Duncan forum. That one came later.

Chubtone turned me on to this pickup. Coupled with a 59 in the neck, it’s my all-time favorite pickup.

stompboxfreak72":1f6kk5o0 said:
I agree with the Super Distortion but what amp are you using ? You can put hot pickups through a lower gain amp to great effect but if you run hot pickups into a 5153 etc etc etc it’s not going to be pleasant most likely.

that's exactly one of my set ups, seems to work fine for me...mind you I have the pickup pretty lower so that helps :LOL: :LOL:

My go-to (Non-Active) PU for the bridge position is the good Ol' Fender Atomic. Hot as hell and plenty of tone. Although I do know these are an acquired taste for some, I love em. Be sure that you either Demo or Hear an original Atomic, not an Atomic II as they are far inferior in tone\quality. Original Atomics come in 2 colors - Black\White. There are no Zebra Atomics that are the original first design.

Spec:
DC Resistance = 16.6 K Ohms
Inductance = 8.5 Henries
Magnets = Alenco 5
Resonance = 2,000 Hz (Weighted)

Attachments

• fender-atomic-humbucker-xl.jpg
    fender-atomic-humbucker-xl.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,182
Got the SG back from the shop - new wiring harness and Woltone Marshallheads installed. I have only had a chance to play the guitar through my practice amp so far. Will run it through the big boy amps later. Initial thoughts - totally badass pickups. With lower gain, sweet, detailed and PAFish. With high gain - kickass crunch and attitude and a very “alive” sound. I could see these really excelling at pretty much anything from pop to metal. Time will tell, but so far, I’m very impressed.

I agree the Marshallheads are great. I have a guitar with his P90’s and they’re also killer! They sound to me kinda like a more raw, pissed off Marshallhead. For the price, Marshallheads and some of the WB’s are my favorite lower output humbuckers.

If you’re willing to spend more though, the best paf style humbuckers ive tried were by far the Tone Specifics and Virgil Arlo’s. I still prefer my WCR Iron Man and Murkat for metal, but for almost everything they’re hands down my favorite of everything I’ve tried

Check out the Miracle Man. 17.5k
For lower output the Balaguer Feral, while needing a drastic EQ change sounded fantastic in comparison. I like both high and lower output. I am getting a guitar in a day or two with the Super Distortion so will see how I like the mid output pickups.

I will say, as I was told by James Peters, there is a lot more to how "hot" a pickup is than just DC resistance fwiw.

Back