anyone try the Engl Fireball?

dstroud

been digging Powerwolf and i read the guy uses a Fireball. checked some vids and kind of digging them. anyone have experience with these?

Paging Metalhead Mike..........He's had every Engl amp methinks. I've almost bought one a few times, but they seem geared for the Darker Metal tone crowd. Heavy amps for sure.

I had a 60w fireball years ago (05-09) that I loved. Kicked myself for years after selling it. Bought a FB100 after really getting back into playing a couple years ago and I am very glad I did. Killer amp for the heavy stuff, I intend on holding onto this one as long as I'm able to play.

Definitely a badass amp. On the dry and tight side, with a ton of low end and usable gain. Brutal amp with killer low mid grunt. NIce clean channel, great effects loop and built in noise gate. The mid boost is also very cool. Gives it a nice midrange bump, while making it much more juicy sounding and less dry. Definitely adds to it's versatility. Also loves to be clean boosted. I would love to hear one with EL-34's. I'd highly recommend the FB 100. :thumbsup:
Here's a pretty accurate representation of it....https://youtu.be/o6V2ochak1U

I’ve owned both the original Fireball (stay away) and the Fireball 100.
The FB100 kicks ass!! :rock:
I really liked that amp. Actually owned it twice.
More versatile then you think. Gets super heavy but cleans up nice.
Has the mid boost switch to me? Should be on all the time.
Only reason I sold my second one off was I have a Engl Powerball still and few others
That get me in high gain territory. :yes:
Watching your clips I really think you would dig it bro. :rock:

If you’re looking at the Fireball, I’d recommend the Marty Friedman Inferno model or Extreme Aggression one. They’re both like better versions of the Fireball IMO. The inferno might be my 2nd favorite Engl behind the SE EL34

Almost bought an Extreme Aggression when they came out; wish I had.

The Savage 120 is probably my favorite Engl. Of all the high gainers I've owned, the Savage is THE ONLY amp I get the level of tightness and attack I desire plugged straight in to the front. With the FB100, I still liked to clean boost to clip the lows a bit and further tighten. Once you got the FB power section cooking, like hearing damage levels, it tightens up significantly, and then I could enjoy plugging straight in to get what I wanted.

In the end I just grew tired of the ultra precision of the attack with the Engl amps. My chops need a bit more give from the amp, and the Engls I've owned just track so damn fast that I felt like most days I was fighting the amp. Even though they have a shit ton of gain and compression, they're still very dry and unforgiving, at least for me.

Despite the former, I could see owning another Engl someday.

I had the 60w version years ago, good amp, but had a high sizzle to the distortion that I didn’t like. But to be fair, I probably didn’t know how to dial things in as much back then.

I had a Fireball 100 as well. It was a monster of an amp. Only reason I returned it was because Axe Palace fucked me on the price, (sold me a used one as brand new, and refused to take ownership of it and refund accordingly). That dickhead of an owner pissed me off with his multiple lies so bad I just returned it and told him to shove up his dishonest ass.

I actually loved it, loved it, loved it. But, while I obviously was not happy about the deal, it was also a bit too loud for my situation at the time. VERY loud. It doesn't do low volume real well, but a couple notches in, it opens up nicely, (though my neighbors weren't as impressed). If you want an aggressive, pissed off tone - this is your amp.

ElectricVoodoo":1xqpbmnj said:
Ritchie faulkner plays them and swears by them.
His tone is amazing along with his chops.
I'd love to play one myself.

I believe he uses Powerball II's.

napalmdeath":1pmobsub said:
I had a Fireball 100 as well. It was a monster of an amp. Only reason I returned it was because Axe Palace fucked me on the price, (sold me a used one as brand new, and refused to take ownership of it and refund accordingly). That dickhead of an owner pissed me off with his multiple lies so bad I just returned it and told him to shove up his dishonest ass.

I actually loved it, loved it, loved it. But, while I obviously was not happy about the deal, it was also a bit too loud for my situation at the time. VERY loud. It doesn't do low volume real well, but a couple notches in, it opens up nicely, (though my neighbors weren't as impressed). If you want an aggressive, pissed off tone - this is your amp.

I had a similar experience with that guy at Axe Palace. Would never do business there again.

thrashinbatman":pq91rr33 said:
IMO the Fireball is Engl's best behind only the Savage and maaaybe the Straight. A wonderful, tight, aggressive amp.
I love the Fireball, but I actually preferred my Retro Tube 100 to it. It wasn't as surgically tight. It's a fatter, juicier sounding amp with just a little sag, but not too much. And I really dig Engl tone with EL-34's.

Beyond Black":3308jew8 said:
thrashinbatman":3308jew8 said:
IMO the Fireball is Engl's best behind only the Savage and maaaybe the Straight. A wonderful, tight, aggressive amp.
I love the Fireball, but I actually preferred my Retro Tube 100 to it. It wasn't as surgically tight. It's a fatter, juicier sounding amp with just a little sag, but not too much. And I really dig Engl tone with EL-34's.

Me too, had the 50 - one of my top 5 favorite amps I ever owned.

I have owned 2 FB 60's and 1 Fireball 100. I am an ENGL fan but for whatever reason I really struggled with the Fireball in a band environment. Really spikey and harsh live and you really have to crank the mids to not get lost in the mix. Other amps did much better. It's an awesome home jammer/recorder though. Whatever you do if you get one consider the presence knob as the dominant treble control if you really want to be heard. I would love to try a Retro and to me I enjoyed the Powerball channel 3 if I needed that sound for whatever application. My Ironball is no slouch tho..

Fireball 60 should be considered a hard pass. Gets buried with a band. For recording it might be ok though. The 100 is killer. As is the Blackmore... both can be had for pretty solid prices used.

Back