Need Advice on a Pedal Board Rig or Work with a Tube Amp...

StewRacing

Need some advice on an amp rig for my townhouse. Volume is a concern until I finish off the basement with an insulated loud room. I own a full range PA and a modeler has always been my plan. For some reason I haven't been able to pull the trigger on an AX8 or now the Line 6 HX Stomp. I have played some tube amps in some shops recently and was in love. I have never owned a tube amp or modeler. I have a nice pedal board and range of pedals that covers most basis. Can always buy more too. I love the Fender clean tone and Vintage 30 speakers. I played a '73 Twin Reverb with a Blackface Mod and Vintage 30's and it was the sound. I also play drop A# Baritone guitar and Drop C. All passive pick-ups too. So the 1x12 tube amps quickly sound compressed at that low tuning. I play grunge and hard rock: Nirvana, Breaking Benjamin, Chevelle, Ghost and originals.

With pedals I was thinking about getting that Twin Reverb amp, load box and a Two Notes CAB - Direct to PA. Use an Angry Charlie for a Marshall tone.
or
Two Le Clean, CAB, Angry Charlie and other pedals - Direct to PA.
or
Modeler - AX8 or Line6 HX Stomp and pedals.

What has been everyones experience with this type of decision. For some reason I like the Le Clean & CAB option right now, but I rotate my opinions between these three options all the time. Thank you

Hi StewRacing,

I think a Twin and a Torpedo Live (or other loadbox + CAB) or Le Clean and a CAB are great options, even if they won't give you access to millions of effects.

guillaume_pille,

Thank you for the response. Is the Le Clean and CAB a much better amp like clean tone compared to a modeled Twin Reverb from a Line 6 Helix product. I know you are bias towards your product but is the Le Clean designed to be more organic or is it designed to be similar to a modeling amp like the competitors? I don't doubt what the CAB can do.

Also if you want a clean sounding Twin sound with mid range turned up, do you just use channel B with the gain dialed back instead of channel A?

Thank you

Well it's hard for me to comment on competing products, all I can do is that we developed our tube preamps for a reason. ;)

The B channel will give you more gain, but you can also use it like a second clean channel and use the semi-parametric EQ on the mids to adjust a more (or less) mid-focused clean tone. ;)

Back