Final FORTIN MESHUGGAH Preorder

Thunkful":26jc83mf said:
psychodave":26jc83mf said:
LOL... ouch! Larry knows someone copied him. :yes:

https://www.facebook.com/18932221443708 ... 447789280/
I wish that i could test different amps around the world before making the decision to buy one. Unfortunatelly i'm forced to rely on clips and judging by them, i prefer Fortin's work by a mile.

Nothing wrong with preferences. :thumbsup: I liked the Fortin Natas I played. I also like Mike and he helped me out a few times over the years.

Larry’s post is about someone else copying his work and taking credit for it...but they still can’t get it right. :LOL: :LOL: He even provides a list of people he’s not talking about. We all know who he’s referring to. :yes:

Surprised no one mentioned the switch from custom Merren transformers in the first run to cheaper Heyboer OT/PT in these Metro kit amps. Personally not a Heyboer fan myself. I’m sure they forgot to mention this small detail as well.

:gethim: :aww:

Pseudo Drew Peterson":3azzeshc said:
Lol parity product. This guy reads a schematic and suddenly he is the amp guru. Your amp sounds like nothing special yet you are telling us it can hang with a Fortin. :LOL: :LOL: fourtysixand2 is like the amp grinch. Spoiling tube amps for everyone. :LOL: :LOL:

Yet anooooother troll account. You sure do invest a lot of effort into this. Almost like it's your job or something.

Wizard of Ozz":12s5d5r6 said:
Surprised no one mentioned the switch from custom Merren transformers in the first run to cheaper Heyboer OT/PT in these Metro kit amps. Personally not a Heyboer fan myself. I’m sure they forgot to mention this small detail as well.

Nah they actually did disclose that info.

I don't blame them actually. It took me like 4 months to get Merren transformers. Imagine trying to get 100 sets of iron from him? It would take way too long.

FourT6and2":2vuh2d28 said:
Wizard of Ozz":2vuh2d28 said:

Nah they actually did disclose that info.

I don't blame them actually. It took me like 4 months to get Merren transformers. Imagine trying to get 100 sets of iron from him? It would take way too long.

The iron is a big part of the sound right there... so that’s one reason for the difference in sound between them.

psychodave":2r3dgx7o said:
Thunkful":2r3dgx7o said:
psychodave":2r3dgx7o said:
LOL... ouch! Larry knows someone copied him. :yes:

https://www.facebook.com/18932221443708 ... 447789280/
I wish that i could test different amps around the world before making the decision to buy one. Unfortunatelly i'm forced to rely on clips and judging by them, i prefer Fortin's work by a mile.

Nothing wrong with preferences. :thumbsup: I liked the Fortin Natas I played. I also like Mike and he helped me out a few times over the years.

Larry’s post is about someone else copying his work and taking credit for it...but they still can’t get it right. :LOL: :LOL: He even provides a list of people he’s not talking about. We all know who he’s referring to. :yes:

Actually I have no idea who he's talking about?
help us non amp maker inside follower/knowers/trackers out.

This thread is awesome, good info and some fun banter, now if someone could just figure out how to get the smoke back in my amp, things would be great.

I actually have no idea either.

EDIT:
Never mind, I read all the comments in that FB post and the subject is very near and dear to this thread.

Pseudo Drew Peterson":7cghktwr said:
So here’s a question. What is worse in your book. Stealing so called amp designs, or stealing customers money. This ones for you psychodave.

Depends on motivation.

If someone purposefully goes into business with other people intellectual capital, that’s downright dirty.

If someone takes money with good intentions to deliver a product and fails, it’s bad, but that outcome wasn’t intended.

psychodave":1wulyx9o said:
Pseudo Drew Peterson":1wulyx9o said:
So here’s a question. What is worse in your book. Stealing so called amp designs, or stealing customers money. This ones for you psychodave.

Depends on motivation.

If someone purposefully goes into business with other people intellectual capital, that’s downright dirty.

If someone takes money with good intentions to deliver a product and fails, it’s bad, but that outcome wasn’t intended.

Hmm in a perfect world everyone’s original ideas would be patented and off hands. But I fail to see that being the case on almost everything we buy from cars to prescription drugs.

So how do you feel about replica guitars?

And there is no”good intentions” in business. If you take money from someone, you better deliver your product. 10 years and waiting is an abomination and should dealt with accordingly.

The great collectable amps of the future are going to be the small batch one off amps made, by guys on forums such as this that have the tech knowledge mixed with the sheer interest of studying schematics, and cutting no corners. They will have had such an interest and level of experience that they will apply those to making, not for profit if they know it or not, a few really well built amps...but never taking them to a commercial level at all due to already having a great paying job, or other things. Those amps, eventually will reach cult status when played by a future great guitarist and..being so rare much like Dumble...will command insane prices. So ask yourself...who will make you that future classic?

Hmmmm :confused:

Meshuggah box

Mike quote from Facebook

My Metro loop I received today

Attachments

• Mike_Fortin2.png
    Mike_Fortin2.png
    161.4 KB · Views: 705
  • fortin.jpg
    fortin.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 705
  • IMG_3668.JPG
    IMG_3668.JPG
    561 KB · Views: 713
FourT6and2":ajipz4ig said:
Beyond Black":ajipz4ig said:
I believe what you are saying about the similarities between this and a Jose mod, but I know what my ears are hearing in that clip. That amp sounds vicious, brutal, and definitely has that Fortin tone.

The clips are misleading.
Historically, people with these amps play '80s cock rock and EVH, not modern metal. :) Plug an 8 string with a 33 or Grind boost pedal into a typical Jose mod and you'll get similar results.

It's got to be more than a mere clone of a Jose mod.

Nope. It is literally a Jose mod. The exact Jose mod is commonly referred to as the Cameron Atomica. The Meshuggah just does not have the depth control.

Are you saying Fortin didn't do any additional tweaking to get his signature sound?

Nope. The "tweaking" is the marketing. And making sure all your customers are running 33 or Grind boost pedals in all the clips.

And if so, what's the crime in that?

There's no crime. Except I felt duped. I paid $3,300+ for an amp advertised as being a new, unique Fortin design with 4 gain stages. That is what the product description on Fortin's website said. It has now been changed. Edited. Removed. The amp does not have 4 gain stages. It is not a new, unique Fortin design. Simple typo? Who knows. It's gone now.

Did Fortin ever claim that it was anything else?

Yes. First, the product page and all the social media posts said it has 4 gain stages and was a super mega awesome metal monster unique Fortin design. Maybe it was a typo. Maybe the marketing dude didn't know what he was writing. It's now been changed, btw. But this is after the fact. I bought my amp like 6-8 months ago under the impression this was something new from Fortin. If I had known it was a JCM800 with Jose mod, I wouldn't have bought it.

Second, before I placed my order I emailed Fortin to ask him if this was similar to his other Cali and Jose mods. He said no. Totally different. Not true.

Does it sound good? Hell yes it does. It sounded good 30 years ago too. :)

If you don't want to shell out $3333.33 for a tweaked Jose mod, guess what, there's no gun to your head.

Like I said, if I had known it was a JCM800 Jose mod... the same damn circuit I've already built 4 times on my own in 2011, 2012, and two times last year, I wouldn't have bought one. Do they sound good? Yes (well not the one I bought since it was malfunctioning). But this really all stems from the marketing dude going off his leash to be honest.
I stand corrected, sir. If you were lead to believe through marketing that this was in fact a "new, unique, Fortin design with four gain stages", and received an amp with a 30 year old design with three gain stages that you could easily build yourself, I don't blame you for feeling cheated. I would too. Especially if Mike told you it wasn't similar to his Cali or Jose mods. I was actually going to get in on one of these but I dragged my feet and missed out. Glad I did. :LOL: :LOL:

Back