Hondo explorer yes or no?

BrentSSL

Just looking for basic info there's a really nice one in a Guitar Center near me. What kind of wood are these made of country of origin build quality. Or should I just get a Epiphone explorer or an Ltd EX? How are the pickups it has grover tuners and no backplate for the fender style tremolo cavity. It's only 300 no case just looking for a decent explorer for home and possibly a gig or 2. Any way thoughts and opinions please.

this is an ended ebay listing pic for a hondo explorer body. Looks like plywood to me.

s-l1600.jpg

I had a $90 Hondo strat back in the early 80's. Not a bad little guitar for what it was. But that being said, the others are right. That body might actually be plywood. Plug it in and play it. If it seems worth $300 to you then go for it. Doesn't matter what it's made of.

It's also a set neck and it's called a Hondo revival but Yeah I'm gonna give it a whirl it looks more like a Gibson style explorer to me though then that thing in the picture.

from what little I could find on the Revival series, they seem to be a laminated Nato body. I couldn't find anything specifically on the explorer, but I don't see them using solid wood on those, while using laminated bodies on the fancy LP copies in that line.

That being said, if it plays well and sounds great, doesn't really matter that much as long as you like it. But I think $300 is a bit steep.

I had a Hondo II, it was my 2nd electric with a dimarzio pu. It was thicker than my Lotus LP copy. This was late 70s or maybe 80. Cheap guitars are SO much better these days.

My hondo explorer was a neck thru.
Again. It sounded and played great.
(Well I was 17 at the time) :LOL: :LOL:
Wonder how I would rate it today. ;)

Back