Good "In Room" Video Cams for Guitar/Band Wankery

Junk Yard Dog

I like to record vids of myself and also our band to tutorial purposes, like what to improve on and shit like that.

Are the Zooms still the best, easiest within a modest budget, like the Q4 and Q8?

I'm not into mixing and editing much, just record, jam, stop, review and upload.

What say you guys?

Q2N. I've got it, love it. ONLY gripe is batter life. I fixed it by buying a cell phone power pack and using it as a batter. Can record an entire gig in HD. Handles high volumes well.

Dont let the 4k fool you. That's just resolution with best lighting conditions possible. Once your light drops it gets real real distorted and the picture is sub par. So you can record a gig in ultra HD only to find out its full of 'noise'. That's coming from a guy who owns a Q3HD and a Q4. You won't ever need 4k to capture vid/sounds in your rehearsal room, The file size will be enormous and you'll hang yourself trying to get your PC work with it. Good luck cutting, editing and rendering such videos on an average machine. A cheaper Q3 HD will do the trick, it's one of my main go to systems to quickly record in room sounds and snippets of new songs. works like a charm just for the pure audio quality. :rock: :rock:

I have a Q2N and it is fabulous for recording gigs! I use a power adapter with it that I bought to avoid any battery issues.

K-Roll":26ppxldj said:
Dont let the 4k fool you. That's just resolution with best lighting conditions possible. Once your light drops it gets real real distorted and the picture is sub par. So you can record a gig in ultra HD only to find out its full of 'noise'. That's coming from a guy who owns a Q3HD and a Q4. You won't ever need 4k to capture vid/sounds in your rehearsal room, The file size will be enormous and you'll hang yourself trying to get your PC work with it. Good luck cutting, editing and rendering such videos on an average machine. A cheaper Q3 HD will do the trick, it's one of my main go to systems to quickly record in room sounds and snippets of new songs. works like a charm just for the pure audio quality. :rock: :rock:

I feel like 1080p should be fine, but do you/anyone know for sure if 4k isn't probably going to be a requirement for the future of instagram/facebook/youtube vids? Because I'll just get the regular q2N if 4k isn't needed.

jco5055":q2me01fb said:
K-Roll":q2me01fb said:

I feel like 1080p should be fine, but do you/anyone know for sure if 4k isn't probably going to be a requirement for the future of instagram/facebook/youtube vids? Because I'll just get the regular q2N if 4k isn't needed.

The 4k is only $199. Can't remember how much it is for the older one.

romanianreaper":wsyjohp2 said:
jco5055":wsyjohp2 said:
K-Roll":wsyjohp2 said:

The 4k is only $199. Can't remember how much it is for the older one.

Guitar center has it on sale for $120

my wife got me the go pro hero 4 for stuff like that. it must have built in limiters on the mics because it rarely clips even in super loud rooms. its durable as hell. a bottle of 91% rubbing alcohol opened up onto it when it was in my suitcase, and melted the outside, but it still works.

plus you can mount it ANYWHERE.
https://www.facebook.com/james.ansell.9/videos/10154582434071715/

here is a clip from sticking it in the corner of an REALLY loud room. no clipping, nice mix.
https://www.facebook.com/james.ansell.9 ... 178081715/

I have the Zoom Q3HD I use to record our gigs. Works really well. Video and audio always look and sound great. Here is a clip from our last show.

My band uses Q2N's to record stuff at practice. Here's a sample of the in room quality from a recent practice

Also, our drummer put this little studio reel with footage he shot with the Q2N

Back