Where are the 80s style preamps hiding?

Matt300ZXT

I've been gassing for another 80s rack preamp to join my MP1 and Triple Giant and can't really seem to find any. Been looking off and on for a Rockmaster, maybe another Studio Pre and Soho QTR1 and come across very few, and just recently discovered the Morin and Kasha Rockmod, but I can't find any for sale. Are you guys hoarding these or am I just not looking in the right places?

The Morin preamps are among the best (had two, still have one) but every one of them is different. They pop up from time to time.

Peavey Rock Master is really underrated. Best bang for buck preamp out there. It doesn't sound materially cheaper than big boys like Soldano and CAE.

Do you have the Hafler Triple Giant or an original Bogner?

Believe it or not...check out pawn shops especially in bigger cities or "ghetto areas". I always check them for rack gear deals...especially on older 80's/90's stuff that has been sitting there forever and not sold. There are amazing deals to be had.

The Morins are all different?!? Great, now I'm going to have to buy ALL of them lol

It's just the Hafler, I don't have the $$$ to be buying anything original Bogner...well, I could probably afford a Shiva or something but I don't really want one.

It’s not 80’s but the 2 Triaxis preamps were killer with the gain mods I had done with Mesa Boogie. With the Strategy 400 poweramp it was a really great sound.

psychodave":2yp64pwa said:
It’s not 80’s but the 2 Triaxis preamps were killer with the gain mods I had done with Mesa Boogie. With the Strategy 400 poweramp it was a really great sound.

I would also add The Boogie Quad preamp paired with the Strategy 400 and a can of Aquanet and call it a day!! :LOL: :LOL:
They did do a midi version of it but its rare. That was a great rig.

I ended up picking up a Myasnikov SLO preamp for now. Probably going to end up picking up the 3 channel X88 or one of the Marshall amps, maybe try the Cameron or Friedman clone out down the road.

snowdog":2yk2vl46 said:
ADA can be had on the cheap

He did say he has an MP1. Another lesser known quality preamp is the Langner DCP1 (Todd Langner designed the MP1).

The Kasha, if in good shape and with the original 12AX7s (Yugo EI) sounds UNREAL. I used to run mine through the Peavy 60/60 (6L6). Simply phenomenal.

Ive owned or still own most of what was out back then.Some are definitely better than others,thats for sure.I ran a bogner triple giant with a fish.the fish stayed.I ran a soldano x77 with a x88r.the 88 stayed.I ran a matchless gpr with a customshop badcat preamp.of course the cat stayed.I had 3 mesa quads,all different years,the earliest one stayed.Even a rockman xpr unit will crush if ran properly.Lots of choices out there.

Matt300ZXT":1j766dmd said:
I ended up picking up a Myasnikov SLO preamp for now. Probably going to end up picking up the 3 channel X88 or one of the Marshall amps, maybe try the Cameron or Friedman clone out down the road.

PLz tell us about ur experience, tone, build quality etc....

I had a Morin (just sold it) but would rather have kept it! Love it! I also have an Engl 520 which was 1 of the original Engls from the early 90's I believe. I'll gradually sell that one, but I've kept that longer than my Marshall jmp1, Ada Mp1's,etc as I love the lead channel but probably will sell it as I have way too much gear. I've had the Kasha Rockmod II, VHT gp3, PV Rockmaster, Rocktron/Egnater IE4 also in the past.

Eric

Chris O":jupdmxe3 said:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/msg/d/soldano-sp-77/6747391020.html

I bought at least 3 of these over the years and never paid more than $550...

That's not even one of the 'desireable'/expensive ones! Holy crap.. Guaranteed the price is up due to Soldano retiring, as people are holding on to a lot of Soldano gear now, or trying to get inflated prices. Kinda makes sense since he won't be building anything new

Eric

ericb":tobvu7pu said:
Chris O":tobvu7pu said:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/msg/d/soldano-sp-77/6747391020.html

I bought at least 3 of these over the years and never paid more than $550...

That's not even one of the 'desireable'/expensive ones! Holy crap.. Guaranteed the price is up due to Soldano retiring, as people are holding on to a lot of Soldano gear now, or trying to get inflated prices. Kinda makes sense since he won't be building anything new

Eric

Add to that the fact that those preamps were outsourced to another builder (like CAE did with the later 3+SE preamps) and the price is twice as silly.

Matt300ZXT":plx6jwxm said:

Dude, you can't go wrong at the price. I love my Myasnikov SuperLead. Great choice!

Back