NAD- Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Loop Modded insanity!

Gut shot

Attachments

• 4CF5676E-1B63-4C6F-8553-2A7396E44FD8.png
    4CF5676E-1B63-4C6F-8553-2A7396E44FD8.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,130
God I love this thread ! This takes anal to a whole new level. It's amazing how much you guys know about these amps ! Carry on please !

Aah so ZRs older IIB Coli has the 8 cap bank- perhaps it's a coli thing, and hence why a IIB coli is so much tighter than a IIB? Food for thought, except that Racer has had others previously and they didn't slay quite like this pair we got. Magic Mojo!

My Triple into a V30 full stack is indescribable. It won't be going anywhere!

Racer, I'll try that boost thing at practice. I've never liked to boost a Mark for gain (except for R2 on my Mark III which was amazing).

Side thought- with any of the Mark amps I've had- I can scoop them as much as possible and they are still more mid-present than either of my Rectos, and the Rectos still cut the mix better. My HRG C++ was almost honky in this regard. The DR+ just got lost in the mix. The DRG++ is the best in this regard (hence why I kept that one). "Where" their tone sits is just different.

GJgo":88yfbqp0 said:
Aah so ZRs older IIB Coli has the 8 cap bank- perhaps it's a coli thing, and hence why a IIB coli is so much tighter than a IIB? Food for thought, except that Racer has had others previously and they didn't slay quite like this pair we got. Magic Mojo!

Racer, I'll try that boost thing at practice. I've never liked to boost a Mark for gain (except for R2 on my Mark III which was amazing).

Side thought- with any of the Mark amps I've had- I can scoop them as much as possible and they are still more mid-present than either of my Rectos, and the Rectos still cut the mix better. My HRG C++ was almost honky in this regard. The DR+ just got lost in the mix. The DRG++ is the best in this regard (hence why I kept that one). "Where" their tone sits is just different.
The C+ takes a boost well, where other Marks I've had don't. I would only try to boost the C+. Rectos love boosts as most know. Especially the Triple.

The biggest difference in this late 2B is the tightness....very tight like a C+ or a III. Older ones don't have that.

OK guys, this just happened. A/Bing between my IIC++ and this "IIB+". I recorded some simple phone clips.

Attachments

• IMG_4778.JPG
    IMG_4778.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 1,789
GJgo":2runxunc said:

See I've head several HRG & DRG C++s side by side and always preferred the sound, tone, and most importantly feel of the HRG due to the fact that it has a 100W all pentode power section compared to 75W triode/pentode mix. The DRGs always sounded a little less powerful, full, and not as tight and cutting... more spongy, softer. And these were factory stock DRGs, not upgrades too. My #1 HRG C++ cuts like a mofo and gets very scooped mids, and nails early Tallica tones to a "T". I think as I see and hear more and more Marks from this period, there can be some margin of variation despite the specs on paper. The JP2C is based on the HRG not DRG version, which is Petrucci's choice as well. Love my JP2C too.

Wizard of Ozz":21um83zn said:
GJgo":21um83zn said:

See I've head several HRG & DRG C++s side by side and always preferred the sound, tone, and most importantly feel of the HRG due to the fact that it has a 100W all pentode power section compared to 75W triode/pentode mix. The DRGs always sounded a little less powerful, full, and not as tight and cutting... more spongy, softer. And these were factory stock DRGs, not upgrades too. My #1 HRG C++ cuts like a mofo and gets very scooped mids, and nails early Tallica tones to a "T". I think as I see and hear more and more Marks from this period, there can be some margin of variation despite the specs on paper. The JP2C is based on the HRG not DRG version, which is Petrucci's choice as well. Love my JP2C too.
I enjoyed my HRG C++ more than the SRG for those same reasons. While I haven't played a DRG C+ I have owned 2 Simul IIIs, and preferred those without 34s so I'd imagine I'd still prefer the HRG over the DRG. More of an immediate attack as you describe. Mike B mentioned that the power section of the C+ Coli is very similar to the HRG C+ in the way it responds. Can't wait to get it back. Shipped to Mesa yesterday.

GJgo":1sbt2tyq said:

Just want to mention that I don't boost the C+ for gain...I dial it way back on the amp and then hit it with more of a clean boost, the pedals I use are upper mid flavored and they add an upper mid character that the amp doesn't have on its own. It sounds like a Mesa mixed with a Marshall to a degree. Cut way better that way for me live 2 yrs ago.

Wizard of Ozz":1du3sdkw said:

Well, there's an ass for every saddle. :) I have always preferred my DRG IIs and IIIs to the HRGs I've had. Well, Ok, I've only had the one HRG, but it was a C then a C+ then a C++ before I sold it so that's like 3 amps. Oh wait- I also had a JP2C, but it was the first of my Mark amps to go when the culling began.

Racerxrated":3gu184m7 said:
I enjoyed my HRG C++ more than the SRG for those same reasons. While I haven't played a DRG C+ I have owned 2 Simul IIIs, and preferred those without 34s so I'd imagine I'd still prefer the HRG over the DRG. More of an immediate attack as you describe. Mike B mentioned that the power section of the C+ Coli is very similar to the HRG C+ in the way it responds. Can't wait to get it back. Shipped to Mesa yesterday.

My favorites have always been my DRG IIs and IIIs but with all 6L6. 6CA7s can be OK in the Class A slots but I don't care for EL34s.

Racerxrated":1fpm6eab said:
I'm gonna go opposite of the Wiz here..

1. 2B Coli
2. C++

Well, Wizard FTW. :)

Amp 1, the IIC++ is darker. I tried to EQ this out a little but it never quite got there. It does have more gain, no doubt. The tone between the two is VERY close as the gain goes up, however the C++ also has a special feel that doesn't come through unless you're the player.

Amp 2, the "IIB+" is more articulate, and has better note definition. It has a little twang when you are just clean & crunchy that's pleasing, honestly better than the Cs I've had. It has more gain than either C+ I've had, but not as much as the ++. In terms of recording though if your right hand is on point it's got metal in spades.

The Coli power section is THE SHIT at any volume over bedroom. I have no doubt that this has a hand in why this B is so good. Technically as an OCD / gear freak the IIC+ Coli combo I do feel is the better setup, but the IIB Coli is still flat out amazing. That said I do not think the IIC+ version is $3X as good since the differences are more in the feel & less in the tone.

GJgo":2jpsewh1 said:
Racerxrated":2jpsewh1 said:
I'm gonna go opposite of the Wiz here..

1. 2B Coli
2. C++

Well, Wizard FTW. :)

Amp 1, the IIC++ is darker. I tried to EQ this out a little but it never quite got there. It does have more gain, no doubt. The tone between the two is VERY close as the gain goes up, however the C++ also has a special feel that doesn't come through unless you're the player.

Amp 2, the "IIB+" is more articulate, and has better note definition. It has a little twang when you are just clean & crunchy that's pleasing, honestly better than the Cs I've had. It has more gain than either C+ I've had, but not as much as the ++. In terms of recording though if your right hand is on point it's got metal in spades.

The Coli power section is THE SHIT at any volume over bedroom. I have no doubt that this has a hand in why this B is so good. Technically as an OCD / gear freak the IIC+ Coli combo I do feel is the better setup, but the IIB Coli is still flat out amazing. That said I do not think the IIC+ version is $3X as good since the differences are more in the feel & less in the tone.
A bit surprised that you feel the B is more articulate. The B+ I had was tight, and had a ton of gain but the tone was more like a III on steroids. The HRG C++ I had at the same time was better in all aspects.

Wizard of Ozz":2f1du9go said:
GJgo":2f1du9go said:

Agreed on all. I’ve had my HRG IIC+ For years now and it quickly sent my simul iic+ I had before packing. I feel that simul class seems to also make the amps more compressed and smoother/less growl

I didn’t know the HRG’s are pentode though. For some reason, I thought all iic+’s were triode, but I’m not that knowledge with that technical stuff. I have 3 Mark III coliseum’s that all have the c++ mod by Mike B and I’m curious because 2 were blue stripe and one was no stripe (all 6L6’s). Would the blue stripe’s be triode and the no stripe pentode? The blue stripes still don’t have the voicing of my c+ down even with the c++ mod, while I feel the no stripe totally nails it and I actually prefer it to my iic+ HRG and it already sounded very close to my iic+ even before I sent it to mike for the mod

I was always under the impression that pentode didn't come till the green stripe, which are all Simul & pentode. That's why it got the RMS bump.

My DRG 105 is decidedly more growly than my HRG X101 was. From reading other's experiences I feel the answer that is with these older amps, one is not just like the other. Whether that be how the components have aged, the tubes you're using, or just your personal perspective- for whatever reason some are just better than others. It's a joy to find a gem. :)

braintheory":3aouu77e said:
Wizard of Ozz":3aouu77e said:
GJgo":3aouu77e said:

Agreed on all. I’ve had my HRG IIC+ For years now and it quickly sent my simul iic+ I had before packing. I feel that simul class seems to also make the amps more compressed and smoother/less growl

I didn’t know the HRG’s are pentode though. For some reason, I thought all iic+’s were triode, but I’m not that knowledge with that technical stuff. I have 3 Mark III coliseum’s that all have the c++ mod by Mike B and I’m curious because 2 were blue stripe and one was no stripe (all 6L6’s). Would the blue stripe’s be triode and the no stripe pentode? The blue stripes still don’t have the voicing of my c+ down even with the c++ mod, while I feel the no stripe totally nails it and I actually prefer it to my iic+ HRG and it already sounded very close to my iic+ even before I sent it to mike for the mod
But, as close as your III black stripe coli is, does it have that incredible feel? No other amp I've played has that, the C+ is unique in that regard. The strings feel alive under the fingers. Wizards have some of that, but not like the C+. No other Mesa product that I've played has even come close to replicating that C+ feel. And that is what I love best about the C+.

Back