Quieting the hiss on a 5150 III?

ledvedder

I got the 50 watt head today and I'm loving it! Except for the hiss that I get. A bit on channel 2 and a lot on channel 3. Any recommendations on quieting this noise? Preamp tubes? Something else?

I havent had time to roll preamp tubes yet to see if it tames it a bit, but i put an isp gstring pedal in front and in the loop and its super tight and quiet. Got one used on reverb.

NS-2 here too. A noise gate is the only thing that will work, aside from gutting it, and changing some components! Channel 3 is insane.

You could try a 5751 in V2, or V3, but that will just tame the gain, won't get rid of hiss but a tad.

ledvedder":2flxbls5 said:
I've been reading reviews of the NS-2 vs the ISP Decimator. Most seem to favor the ISP.
Decimator, without question for me. The Boss has some tone suck to it, you lose some high end. I had both pedals and A/Bd them about 8 yrs ago, and returned the Boss.

Racerxrated":1bg7k39w said:
ledvedder":1bg7k39w said:
I've been reading reviews of the NS-2 vs the ISP Decimator. Most seem to favor the ISP.
Decimator, without question for me. The Boss has some tone suck to it, you lose some high end. I had both pedals and A/Bd them about 8 yrs ago, and returned the Boss.

I agree, the ISP is better. I've owned both, just happen to have an NS-2.

Are there any preamp tube changes I could make that would help? The stock tubes are not labeled, so I'm not sure what they are.

ISP prorack for the loop will help prevent you from having to constantly adjust the level as you change your volume. But either way, another vote for isp.

I disagree about the ISP. I don't find that I have any tone suck. In fact, the buffer in the NS2 can make your tone ever so slightly brighter. Also A/Bd the NS2, Decimator, and G-string some years back and preferred the NS2. Also, used NS2=$40 lol.

Sell the amp and get a Boogie Mark III. No hiss, more useable gain, better clean. I bought 3, all for $500.00 or less.

ledvedder":brbtvl7o said:
LP Freak":brbtvl7o said:
You can try swapping out V1. Where do you run the gain?
Channels 1 and 2, i have both around 12 o'clock. Channel 3 is about 9-10 o'clock.
That’s pretty much where I run mine and I get some hiss but nothing crazy. Obviously ch3 will have a little more. You can try swapping around your preamp tubes and see if you can find one that’s more quiet. Just mark their position as you remove them.

Try different 12ax7's first. My buddy's 50w after he bought it new got hella loud hiss, He rolled different preamp tubes throughout and it was gone.

crwnedblasphemy":1x3sl8oh said:
Try different 12ax7's first. My buddy's 50w after he bought it new got hella loud hiss, He rolled different preamp tubes throughout and it was gone.
Do you have any recommendations? Tungsol, Mullard, etc?

rbasaria":2tgmty3i said:
I disagree about the ISP. I don't find that I have any tone suck. In fact, the buffer in the NS2 can make your tone ever so slightly brighter. Also A/Bd the NS2, Decimator, and G-string some years back and preferred the NS2. Also, used NS2=$40 lol.
My experience was the ISP is miles better, maybe the Boss was defective? But it was brand new....
:dunno:

JJ tubes come stock. You need a good noise gate for any high gain amp when you're using a guitar with any sort of reasonably high output pickups.

Back