Tom Anderson Guitars/Custom Shop

jsnow

So I picked up a Tom Anderson strat for the first time at GC last weekend. Played AMAZING. It's a newer 2018 model. Hard to describe but it was just super playable and I could really dig in on it. So I had to buy it, unfortunately I have to wait until this weekend to pick it up because of the 30 day hold.
Then I was at a different store last night and see another used Anderson strat hanging there. I pick it up and this one plays just as well! I look at the serial and this ones from 1993.

Point of this rant is the two Andersons I've played, 25 years apart from each other in build date, both had the same amazing playability, resonance, and just got along with me so well. So now i'm thinking about just ordering a custom so I can get exactly what I want. maybe a pro am or something. Does anyone have the same experience with Anderson guitars? Any experience with the custom shop? Usually I don't like to order custom because you never know if its going to be a dud, or not as great and consistent as the guitar you might already have from a manufacturer.

Thanks

I had an Anderson a long time ago. It was a fantastic guitar. If it had a Floyd Rose in it, I probably would have kept it. I have yet to hear of anyone getting a dud Anderson. Order with confidence!

I played one in my local shop a few months ago and had a similar experience. It resonated, especially noticeable when unplugged, like no other guitar I've played. I felt it played super easy for me too. The two employees that work at this shop, and a friend of theirs that hangs there all the time, all own multiple Andersons and can't praise them enough.

I'm gonna have them bring in a few of their personal guitars to let me try so I can decide if I want to order an Anderson or a Suhr.

Anderson Guitars are just that amazing. At times I wonder why Suhr has litterally tons of supporters and fans and Anderson has not.

Andersons have ruined all other guitars for me. Tone, playability, and workmanship are consistently off the charts good. Be sure to check out their Cobra model.

There is something special about Tom's selection of wood. Every guitar was resonant and have ''worn in'' feel like You play it for years. I can't say that about every Suhr I have played. Imho basswood/maple is brilliant combo when it's done well.
I had 1992 Drop Top with Floyd with Switcharoo and stupidly sold it with vision to get something better (damned GAS) and there is no such a thing. Tom just makes best superstrats :)

Every Tom Anderson is made to order. He doesn't build any just to build them. He has a custom order for every single one he makes so everyone is a "custom".

Ive owned 9 and still have 2 currently.

Whats this "30 day hold" you speak of?

Attachments

• 20181228_003723.jpg
    20181228_003723.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,965
Metlupass2":1s3j7bk6 said:
Every Tom Anderson is made to order. He doesn't build any just to build them. He has a custom order for every single one he makes so everyone is a "custom".

Used gear is held for 30 days before it's officially for sale to try to sort out stolen gear.

Candiria":rfnyd9c6 said:
Metlupass2":rfnyd9c6 said:

Used gear is held for 30 days before it's officially for sale to try to sort out stolen gear.

Never heard of that. I sold my Bogner Ecstasy to GC and they had it up on the website the next day.

Metlupass2":gy9yjpci said:
Candiria":gy9yjpci said:
Metlupass2":gy9yjpci said:

Never heard of that. I sold my Bogner Ecstasy to GC and they had it up on the website the next day.

They're not supposed to. Maybe it's a state by state law? I know at my GC all new used inventory is on the back wall tagged 30 day hold.

I am a huge Anderson fanboy. I ordered my first custom spec'ed guitar from them back in late 2009. I haven't looked back since. Nicest bunch of guys you'll ever work with. Tom, Roy and family love what they do and it shows. I remember back around 2007/2008 Tom was considering scaling way back and possibly shutting down the shop. He was so involved in every part of the process that he was burning out. His buddies at Mesa Boogie (Doug West, etc) visited him and helped him find a better way to do things without having to touch every part of the build process. He and the shop are doing great now!

They only build about 700 guitars a year and, like someone said above, each of those guitars has an order attached to it. The one thing I can 100% confidently say is that Tom's biggest driving force is consistency. I'm not saying there isn't going to be a guitar that will fit your needs but he works tirelessly to make sure every guitar they build is consistent with the standards they hold themselves to. I currently own 5 TAGs (just sold one unfortunately) and I love and play them all often. I have custom spec'ed and purchased them all sight unseen. I have zero hesitation doing that moving forward as I have found the specs that fit my hands perfectly. I plan to spec a T Icon later this year.

What works for me may not work for all but I love Anderson Guitarworks! I will always be an endorser for them not just because of the guitars but the people as well.

MetalHeadMike":9f8um5ud said:
I played one in my local shop a few months ago and had a similar experience. It resonated, especially noticeable when unplugged, like no other guitar I've played. I felt it played super easy for me too. The two employees that work at this shop, and a friend of theirs that hangs there all the time, all own multiple Andersons and can't praise them enough.

I'm gonna have them bring in a few of their personal guitars to let me try so I can decide if I want to order an Anderson or a Suhr.

I haven't been able to find a Suhr I really fell in love with, but that could just be my hands and preferences!

reverymike":9f8um5ud said:
My Anderson will go to the grave with me. It's a '93 too!

https://imgur.com/XPE4TnX

Nice!!

Tone Jones":9f8um5ud said:
Andersons have ruined all other guitars for me. Tone, playability, and workmanship are consistently off the charts good. Be sure to check out their Cobra model.

I feel like they may ruin some other guitars for me as well...and I will check out the Cobra!

Candiria":33we88o6 said:
Metlupass2":33we88o6 said:
Candiria":33we88o6 said:
Metlupass2":33we88o6 said:

They're not supposed to. Maybe it's a state by state law? I know at my GC all new used inventory is on the back wall tagged 30 day hold.

It is a state by state and sometimes even city by city law. It's a new law in our area so GC had to start holding things for 30 days, at least here they will let you try it and buy it but you can't pick it up until day 31. They usually just do a layaway for $1 for 31 days so it comes off the floor and doesn't get beat up while you wait.

Candiria":1f2wldxp said:
Metlupass2":1f2wldxp said:
Candiria":1f2wldxp said:
Metlupass2":1f2wldxp said:

They can put them up for sale and even sell them. They can't be taken home until the hold is up though which is why the OP had to wait.

Edit: What ^ said

bubucci":30udb50y said:
There is something special about Tom's selection of wood. Every guitar was resonant and have ''worn in'' feel like You play it for years. I can't say that about every Suhr I have played. Imho basswood/maple is brilliant combo when it's done well.
I had 1992 Drop Top with Floyd with Switcharoo and stupidly sold it with vision to get something better (damned GAS) and there is no such a thing. Tom just makes best superstrats :)

I looked up the specs on the '93 I was playing and it was swamp ash, the one I bought was alder. will definitely have to try to play a swamp ash if I get the chance

Candiria":30udb50y said:
Andersons are amazing. They play so well it feels wrong. My order was basically a 4 month wait to the day and it was a pretty custom spec.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bcp_lI9hngs/?hl=en

https://ibb.co/zNrrDr3

https://ibb.co/zNrrDr3

Beautiful!

Metlupass2":30udb50y said:

yes as Candiria mentioned its to make sure the gear isn't stolen.

gibson5413":30udb50y said:
I am a huge Anderson fanboy. I ordered my first custom spec'ed guitar from them back in late 2009. I haven't looked back since. Nicest bunch of guys you'll ever work with. Tom, Roy and family love what they do and it shows. I remember back around 2007/2008 Tom was considering scaling way back and possibly shutting down the shop. He was so involved in every part of the process that he was burning out. His buddies at Mesa Boogie (Doug West, etc) visited him and helped him find a better way to do things without having to touch every part of the build process. He and the shop are doing great now!

They only build about 700 guitars a year and, like someone said above, each of those guitars has an order attached to it. The one thing I can 100% confidently say is that Tom's biggest driving force is consistency. I'm not saying there isn't going to be a guitar that will fit your needs but he works tirelessly to make sure every guitar they build is consistent with the standards they hold themselves to. I currently own 5 TAGs (just sold one unfortunately) and I love and play them all often. I have custom spec'ed and purchased them all sight unseen. I have zero hesitation doing that moving forward as I have found the specs that fit my hands perfectly. I plan to spec a T Icon later this year.

What works for me may not work for all but I love Anderson Guitarworks! I will always be an endorser for them not just because of the guitars but the people as well.

That's awesome, good to know they take pride in consistency. I definitely get the vibe that Tom puts quality of quantity which is what we all want!
The one I bought is an even taper and it felt perfect, that may just be my spec! New Anderson fanboy here for sure

Thinking something like this for a custom build, but not an angel, a pro am probably. And not a big Floyd guy, so maybe a regular trem or hardtail

jsnow":29scshh9 said:
gibson5413":29scshh9 said:

That's awesome, good to know they take pride in consistency. I definitely get the vibe that Tom puts quality of quantity which is what we all want!
The one I bought is an even taper and it felt perfect, that may just be my spec! New Anderson fanboy here for sure

I have a Drop Top, Pro Am, Classic S, Classic T and a Bulldog and they all have the Even Taper neck. Extremely comfortable on my hands. I can't imagine finding another neck carve that works so well for me. The fact that Tom is so accessible on the phone or on the Anderson Forum is another great point. He is one of the sweetest guys you'll ever meet. He always replies and provides a lot of great insight to why they do what they do. Whenever I've needed a replacement part or something done he has gone above and beyond to take care of me and anyone else.

Back