Revv 7-40 vs KSR Ares vs Mesa Mark V 35 Watt

ClintN667

At some point this year I want to downsize my home amp. I play anything from punk to post post punk/garage to stuff like mastodon to Carcass. I was looking at a Revv 7-40, KSR Ares, and a Mesa Mark V 35 watt. Any of you guys have experience with all of these? So many options these days I've got paralysis. Since a lot of you guys have a different amp every couple weeks I thought I would post my question here. I had a Kemper at one point but ended up hating it so digital is out for me.

I had an EVH 5150 LBXII at one point and didnt really jive with it and the first time I took it to jam with a drummer I had to have it cranked to keep up. My dream amp is a Butterslax but unless they come up with a lower watt version at half the price I will have to keep that a dream. I have found that I like Marshall esq tone a bit more and currently have 2 splawn amps that are kinda being wasted at low volumes. I would like to have something I dont have to use an OD with.

No experience with Revv nor Mark V. But I have an Ares. I like it. Good master so you can play at whatever volume you want. Accepts different types of tubes. Angry/pissed off sound. Versatile enough for a "single" channel with all the modes and dual masters. The KSR sound is basically all the good things about the SLO, Rectifier, Framus Cobra, and 5150 combined, without any of the bad. It's a set it and forget it type of amp, which I like. You don't have to continually fuck around with it. Just plug in and go.

FourT6and2":28x5etha said:
No experience with Revv nor Mark V. But I have an Ares. I like it. Good master so you can play at whatever volume you want. Accepts different types of tubes. Angry/pissed off sound. Versatile enough for a "single" channel with all the modes and dual masters. The KSR sound is basically all the good things about the SLO, Rectifier, Framus Cobra, and 5150 combined, without any of the bad. It's a set it and forget it type of amp, which I like. You don't have to continually fuck around with it. Just plug in and go.

Fucking around with settings it what ultimately got me to get rid of my Kemper. I spent more time switching profiles and settings than I did playing. Not to mention always having a nagging feeling somethings missing.

ClintN667":15wezsn2 said:
FourT6and2":15wezsn2 said:

Fucking around with settings it what ultimately got me to get rid of my Kemper. I spent more time switching profiles and settings than I did playing. Not to mention always having a nagging feeling somethings missing.
You and me both.

I have the Gemini and it is awesome. Every mode/channel sounds good. Not even kidding.

Owned the ARES for a couple years. Meaner than a dog shitting tacks type of sound. Terrific low volume amp and one of the few amp I could use with out clean boosting via an od pedal, although clean boosting really helped it achieve better low volume tones. I think it would be good for Carcass type tones, but not sure about punk/Mastodon.

The KSR is the only one that runs 6L6/EL34 etc. Mesa is 4 EL84 and Revv is 4 6v6. All things equal I would rather take 6L6/EL34 for harder styles.

I don't think many have played the Revv. Check out this video if you haven't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb-1w0ECtWo&t=307s
I have a Generator 120 on order so my excitement is aimed that direction. I wish the 7-40 had depth/presence controls, but otherwise it looks stellar. Someone on TGP called it the modern Dumble. Could be worth taking the leap, but I don't think you'll go wrong with KSR, or Mesa for that matter.

ClintN667":w5iwlgpr said:
The more I look at their site has me thinking Juno or Orthos. Damn G.A.S's like hell now.

From what Kyle told me, the Orthos is a two-channel Ares. So if you need a dedicated clean channel, go with the Orthos. I also have a Gemini, which is similar in setup to the Orthos, except with different transformers and it's got a slightly different character/feel. A little more Bogner-esque.

I love my Revv. The bad review in the post above is the only negative post I've seen on their amps. They sound amazing in a high gain band mix.

That being said, out of the amps listed, only the Ares has the big glass, and I know that amp has some intoxicating mids. I'd that one of the three.

DragonCrestPC":3mqrjmxk said:
Mesa or KSR would be a great choice. Owned a Revv 120 mkII and sold it fast, just wasn't my thing at all.

Sold it fast? And why would that be?

I have one and it is the best amp i have had to date. And i have had a lot of amps, a lot.

First time i hear a bad comment, well, do tell why you sold it fast, very curious.

7 Stringer":2x0v0t12 said:
DragonCrestPC":2x0v0t12 said:
Mesa or KSR would be a great choice. Owned a Revv 120 mkII and sold it fast, just wasn't my thing at all.

I have one and it is the best amp i have had to date. And i have had a lot of amps, a lot.

First time i hear a bad comment, well, do tell why you sold it fast, very curious.

He already said why: "Just wasn't my thing at all."

crankyrayhanky":24ilgp8n said:
I love my Revv. The bad review in the post above is the only negative post I've seen on their amps. They sound amazing in a high gain band mix.

That being said, out of the amps listed, only the Ares has the big glass, and I know that amp has some intoxicating mids. I'd that one of the three.

The mids on the Ares are indeed unique. To me it's that characteristic that separates it most from other high gainers. Down right vulgar the mids are on that amp :rawk:

FourT6and2":3ea7sras said:
7 Stringer":3ea7sras said:
DragonCrestPC":3ea7sras said:

He already said why: "Just wasn't my thing at all."

I can read thank you.

The question was aimed at him, not you.

I wanted to know what he did not like about it. I am curious, not sarcastic.........

MetalHeadMike":3uros77b said:
crankyrayhanky":3uros77b said:

The mids on the Ares are indeed unique. To me it's that characteristic that separates it most from other high gainers. Down right vulgar the mids are on that amp :rawk:

Have you used it with other tubes besides 6L6? I haven't yet, but I bet it would sound good with 6CA7.

I ordered an Ares this morning. I was almost going to grab an Orthos but I tried to remember the last time I actually used a clean tone and I couldnt remember. Now the wait is going to kill me.

FourT6and2":bp5lqz4t said:
MetalHeadMike":bp5lqz4t said:
crankyrayhanky":bp5lqz4t said:

Have you used it with other tubes besides 6L6? I haven't yet, but I bet it would sound good with 6CA7.

I have not. Owned mine for a couple years and it sounded great with the stock JJ 6L6, so I never messed with it. Was getting ready to try KT77 in there but sold it before getting around to trying them.

Back