Quieting the hiss on a 5150 III?

mystixboi":1bjbm7au said:
Sentry... game changer

I tried this one twice, and had some weird issues with both of them that tech support apparently couldnt help me with. Feedback loop issues, drastic reductions in gain and low end, really bizarre stuff that I wouldnt ever have expected a noise gate to do. Ended up sending them back each time. Issues were different for each one I purchased, too, running through the same rig, about a year apart.

rbasaria":2f6ucdoj said:
mystixboi":2f6ucdoj said:
Sentry... game changer

I tried this one twice, and had some weird issues with both of them that tech support apparently couldnt help me with. Feedback loop issues, drastic reductions in gain and low end, really bizarre stuff that I wouldnt ever have expected a noise gate to do. Ended up sending them back each time. Issues were different for each one I purchased, too, running through the same rig, about a year apart.

Bummer. I haven’t had any problems.

mystixboi":f90hg6ue said:
rbasaria":f90hg6ue said:
mystixboi":f90hg6ue said:
Sentry... game changer

Bummer. I haven’t had any problems.

I was pretty bummed! It could be a game changing piece, for sure, like you mentioned, but the 2 I had I guess had problems. I now have zero trust in them.

Racerxrated":fcw0ciux said:
rbasaria":fcw0ciux said:
I disagree about the ISP. I don't find that I have any tone suck. In fact, the buffer in the NS2 can make your tone ever so slightly brighter. Also A/Bd the NS2, Decimator, and G-string some years back and preferred the NS2. Also, used NS2=$40 lol.
My experience was the ISP is miles better, maybe the Boss was defective? But it was brand new....
:dunno:
Same. I have both here, and cant get the ns2 to work the loop and front as well as the g string. The ns2, i feel like i still need my boost, and the isp i dont...

While I'm waiting on the Decimator I figured I'd try some tube swapping with the tubes I have available.

I tried an NOS RFT in v1. Channel 1 and 2 sounded great, but channel 3 was just loud hiss. I mean, no guitar sound at all, just loud hiss. Maybe this amp doesn't like RFTs?

Then I tried a Mullard in v1. This one dramatically reduced the hiss. And it sounds great on all channels.

It's crazy how much this little glass bulb can completely make or break an amp.

ledvedder":ro15f0tx said:
While I'm waiting on the Decimator I figured I'd try some tube swapping with the tubes I have available.

I tried an NOS RFT in v1. Channel 1 and 2 sounded great, but channel 3 was just loud hiss. I mean, no guitar sound at all, just loud hiss. Maybe this amp doesn't like RFTs?

Then I tried a Mullard in v1. This one dramatically reduced the hiss. And it sounds great on all channels.

I had an RFT in V1 of my 5153 50 watt a few years ago and it didn't have that affect on channel 3 (red channel) . The RFT worked good in that amp . Did you have all the stock tubes in and just that RFT in V1 ? That's weird that it would do that cause it shouldn't`t

hammered":ajwvdhw6 said:
ledvedder":ajwvdhw6 said:

I had an RFT in V1 of my 5153 50 watt a few years ago and it didn't have that affect on channel 3 (red channel) . The RFT worked good in that amp . Did you have all the stock tubes in and just that RFT in V1 ? That's weird that it would do that cause it shouldn't`t
One half of the RFT could be bad

Try a 5751 in V2. That will tame red a bit, and give to more sweep on 2. This will quiet it down some as well.

I run a boost with mine, and only run the red at 9:00. With a 5751, I can get more useable gain to about 11:00, less fizz. 5751's, (especially the Jan GE's I have), are fantastic tubes. Great tone to them as well.

napalmdeath":2qubfblp said:
Try a 5751 in V2. That will tame red a bit, and give to more sweep on 2. This will quiet it down some as well.

I run a boost with mine, and only run the red at 9:00. With a 5751, I can get more useable gain to about 11:00, less fizz. 5751's, (especially the Jan GE's I have), are fantastic tubes. Great tone to them as well.
I tried a 5751 and didn’t like what it did to the high end at all or the amp in general. Sounds better by just turning the gain down.

The ISP Decimator should do the trick. A bit expensive but the Fortin Zuul is the best noise gate on the market!

I've had the NS-2 and V1 Decimator both for over a decade. I don't use noise gates anymore because I don't have the luxury of playing at the volumes I used to so I simply don't need them.

Funny thing about the NS-2 is that when I would use it in the loop it actually boosted my highs and clarity when engaged. :confused: When used in the 4 cable method, that pedal is absolutely surgical...

The Decimator was my pick for when I ran a gate in front of the amp though.

Markedman":7a97a8hl said:
Noise gates, sheesh!!!! Buy a Boogie and be done with it for christ's sake!!!
All of the C+s I've had, Triple Recto and I'm sure my incoming 2C+ Coliseum have all sounded better live with my Decimator.
Boogies aren't immune to noise.

Racerxrated":3fpuxlql said:
Markedman":3fpuxlql said:
Noise gates, sheesh!!!! Buy a Boogie and be done with it for christ's sake!!!
All of the C+s I've had, Triple Recto and I'm sure my incoming 2C+ Coliseum have all sounded better live with my Decimator.
Boogies aren't immune to noise.

Agreed. Every Boogie I’ve ever played benefited from a noise gate for high gain playing. There’s not a high gain amp out there that doesn’t need one.

Back