2525h volume drops at gigging volume

ledvedder

What could possibly be causing volume drops on a 2525h at gigging volume? It seems fine at home levels. Tubes have been replaced, cables have been replaced.

This is an amp that I've sold recently, and the buyer is asking for a refund because of this issue. He said he's replaced all the tubes and tried different cables. I was not experiencing this issue when I had the amp. Now I feel responsible for selling something that has issues. In all my years of selling gear, I've never had any issues, so I feel responsible.

Did you sell online with stipulation of refund? Could be so many things, but like not the amp,inus the tubes.

LP Freak":bwv2zibk said:
Operator error and throw in a slight case of buyers remorse
This. So, in case the buyer doesn't know how to operate the volumes, when I gigged with a Jubilee the Lead and Output master basically have to be matched in order to keep the clean/lead volume equal between channels. I remember having them both at around 6-7 at a gig.

The brand new tubes are probably having issues. Power tubes most likely but could be a preamp tube, seems to be alot of initial tube mortality rate of current production tube even if they are burned in.
Valve Queen shut her business down due to having to fight with the suppliers. Doug at Dougs tube's it seems is also having some problems with consistent tube quality as of late.

Probably a tube issue, but now he has an excuse to return it. Todays seller is screwed, PP and CC will force you to take it back like you are a music store with a 90 day return policy even though it's a used product.

I'm just gonna go through with the refund. I've been buying and selling gear for years now, without issue. I don't want to deal with the negative feedback, word gets out that I'm a bad seller to deal with, blah blah blah...

The good part is there probably isn't anything wrong with it. Maybe it wasn't loud enough at "GIG" volume, yada yada yada....

Point being the buyer's in the current year are abusing the PP and CC policies these days getting to try used gear then return if it doesn't meet their expectations, I've seen a lot of comments lately from sellers on Reverb and YT stating "I'm not a large music store for you to try my gear just to return it". Hopefully he'll ship it back to you with no issue and not an empty box.

Make sure Reverb does not refund him until you get the amp back in your hands, I don't know what their policies are. I hope it gets resolved favorably for you.

You had it, no issues. He buys it, retubes it, now there's issues? I'm sorry, but it smells of B.S. I would say a return should be null and void, after the buyer cracks it open. As mentioned, he's probably playing you because he doesn't like it.

That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .

Deanmachine":2e4lvpf7 said:
That's odd because I sold an amp on reverb and this buyer had a similar reason said there's a volume difference in hi and low input it ( non switchable Bogner Helios) it had new tubes and I never had a problem with it ..I refunded the transaction after receiving the amp back and I can't find the problem ...wonder if this is a thing now I've sold and bought for 15 years and this is my first refund .
Some of these clown buyers will do this just to try out stuff, then claim it has an issue if they just don't dig it. Or, they say there is an issue and "how about sending me 80 bucks and I'll take it to my tech?" I caught one douche claiming an issue, at the same time he's got it for sale on ebay for 25% more than what he paid. Same amp. Same serial #. I won that dispute.
I had this happen on ebay more than once. Stopped using them to sell because of this.

Racerxrated":1l8tgb1w said:
Deanmachine":1l8tgb1w said:
Some of these clown buyers will do this just to try out stuff, then claim it has an issue if they just don't dig it. Or, they say there is an issue and "how about sending me 80 bucks and I'll take it to my tech?" I caught one douche claiming an issue, at the same time he's got it for sale on ebay for 25% more than what he paid. Same amp. Same serial #. I won that dispute.
I had this happen on ebay more than once. Stopped using them to sell because of this.

Exactly. Games people play, and I'm willing to bet, that's the case here. I stopped selling on Ebay 6-7 years ago. But, they're rampant on Reverb now, and had a few run-ins over at TGP. I stopped selling over there too. Too many douches over there that cry about a piece of lint.

Deanmachine":1ii5lfeq said:

Hey Dean, that was me with the Helios issues on the low input. Was by no means an issue of buyer's remorse etc. Can't tell you how many amps I've owned over the years and I've never asked for a return from the seller on a used item. In this case, I just did not feel right paying a tech/sending to Bogner to troubleshoot an amp that was sold as operating normally. As I discussed in the messages on Reverb, I've owned the Helios before and am aware of how they're supposed to sound.

I mean, I lost $200 bucks on the transaction just repacking it and shipping it back across the country which I didn't WANT to do, I assure you.

Anyway, you were cool about the situation and we took care of it civilly which I appreciate.

Bxlxaxkxe":31m6ki5r said:
Deanmachine":31m6ki5r said:

Hey Dean, that was me with the Helios issues on the low input. Was by no means an issue of buyer's remorse etc. Can't tell you how many amps I've owned over the years and I've never asked for a return from the seller on a used item. In this case, I just did not feel right paying a tech/sending to Bogner to troubleshoot an amp that was sold as operating normally. As I discussed in the messages on Reverb, I've owned the Helios before and am aware of how they're supposed to sound.

I mean, I lost $200 bucks on the transaction just repacking it and shipping it back across the country which I didn't WANT to do, I assure you.

Anyway, you were cool about the situation and we took care of it civilly which I appreciate.

He says he couldn't find any issues when he got it back? If there was, in fact, something wrong with it, I would think you'd get that $200 back, no?

To hell with 1 negative feedback. Most smart buyers can recognize an idiot who leaves negative feedback over something that they didn't get it their way. If it worked fine when you left, how do you know he didn't spill a drink on it while at practice, or maybe there's a lot of cigarette/pot smoking going on at practice getting down in those sensitive electronics.

The only way I'd work with him is if he took it to a qualified tech that ISN'T his best friend or something, and the tech calls you and says yeah hey, turns out so and so resistor was blown, it'll be $60 or whatever. Then you can work out a deal with him on splitting up or you paying the tech fee for an actual bad part. Otherwise, it sounds like buyer's remorse. He bought it, it's his.

Matt300ZXT":2mzszh94 said:
To hell with 1 negative feedback. Most smart buyers can recognize an idiot who leaves negative feedback over something that they didn't get it their way. If it worked fine when you left, how do you know he didn't spill a drink on it while at practice, or maybe there's a lot of cigarette/pot smoking going on at practice getting down in those sensitive electronics.

The only way I'd work with him is if he took it to a qualified tech that ISN'T his best friend or something, and the tech calls you and says yeah hey, turns out so and so resistor was blown, it'll be $60 or whatever. Then you can work out a deal with him on splitting up or you paying the tech fee for an actual bad part. Otherwise, it sounds like buyer's remorse. He bought it, it's his.

I agree. I've been doing it long enough, I can smell BS a mile away.

When I bought my Yeti, I got it with bent transformers, the 1/2 power switch turned out to be an FX loop bypass, (that was faulty that I had to fix), and the tube buffered FX loop wasn't tube buffered at all. He was smug about it, didn't take any ownership of it, whatsoever. He even admitted, (after I confronted him), that he had issues with the switch, and tubes, (also after the fact, and I retubed it, (at my expense), and told him it had bad tubes). I let it go, and after fixing everything, left positive feedback anyway, (since he had a great reputation, up to that point, and I decided to just be a nice guy). A MONTH later, that fucking asshole left me negative feedback, for no reason, other than just to be a fucking asshole. Asshole.

napalmdeath":1p6vrueu said:
Matt300ZXT":1p6vrueu said:

I agree. I've been doing it long enough, I can smell BS a mile away.

When I bought my Yeti, I got it with bent transformers, the 1/2 power switch turned out to be an FX loop bypass, (that was faulty that I had to fix), and the tube buffered FX loop wasn't tube buffered at all. He was smug about it, didn't take any ownership of it, whatsoever. He even admitted, (after I confronted him), that he had issues with the switch, and tubes, (also after the fact, and I retubed it, (at my expense), and told him it had bad tubes). I let it go, and after fixing everything, left positive feedback anyway, (since he had a great reputation, up to that point, and I decided to just be a nice guy). A MONTH later, that fucking asshole left me negative feedback, for no reason, other than just to be a fucking asshole. Asshole.

Wow. That is messed up. People suck these days.

Back