Zero radius fretboard???

MetalHeadMike":2rr5q471 said:
Yep...I mean completely flat.
I'm currently having a custom guitar built by a local luthier that will have a 14" - 18" radius fretboard which probably is really close to being almost flat. I tested the same radius with the builder's other guitar and it was the best damn thing i've ever played, my fingers were flying on it.

Thunkful":bbihhcpe said:
MetalHeadMike":bbihhcpe said:
I'm currently having a custom guitar built by a local luthier that will have a 14" - 18" radius fretboard which probably is really close to being almost flat. I tested the same radius with the builder's other guitar and it was the best damn thing i've ever played, my fingers were flying on it.

Nice :thumbsup: Yeah...I came across a luthier that builds his guitars with a zero radius standard. I think I'd have to find a way to put my hands on that to see how it feels. His necks shapes are asymmetrical too.

I had an 8 string for a bit that had a completely flat board and honestly hated that guitar... it all comes down to personal preference though.

I made one that was completely flat years ago. It was like the second neck I ever made so it had it's "issues" but my memories tells me I liked it once I put the right bridge on the guitar (it also needs to be flat) ... actually I think I need to make another one because I really like the feel of my classical guitar

MetalHeadMike":3m7t3vhz said:
Thunkful":3m7t3vhz said:
MetalHeadMike":3m7t3vhz said:

Nice :thumbsup: Yeah...I came across a luthier that builds his guitars with a zero radius standard. I think I'd have to find a way to put my hands on that to see how it feels. His necks shapes are asymmetrical too.
Yeah that's a good idea. Tastes can vary so much that it's almost best to feel one for yourself.

braintheory":30g38tom said:
My Mayones Regius has a 20” radius and it’s one of my favorites. I have no regrets trading my duvell for it

Yep....I had a PRS Holcomb that was 20 and I liked it.

JimmyBlind":36czbp68 said:
I think the Shawn Lane Vigier has a zero radius fret board.

Interesting. I'll have to make it a point to see if I can find a guitar to try locally with a flat board. I got curious when I happened across this builder's site; just seemed odd and made me wonder what that'd be like to play on.

Thanks to all who commented :thumbsup:

Classical and flamenco fretboards are flat but I have seen a couple with a radius. I tried one back when I played more classical and the radius just felt weird on a classical. I wonder if a flat electric would feel equally weird.

mjtripper":2a2r5v89 said:
Classical and flamenco fretboards are flat but I have seen a couple with a radius. I tried one back when I played more classical and the radius just felt weird on a classical. I wonder if a flat electric would feel equally weird.

yeah I seem to remember it feeling a little weird because the neck is so narrow (compared to a classical) ... I am making one now and am making it a little wider

Indeed, the Vigier Shawn Lane signature has a flat radius. Might be hard to find one in the US but if you have the chance, trying one would probably be the best way for you to see how like it on an electric guitar. Personally, after playing many years on relatively flat radius necks (Ibanez 16"), I found that the ESP/Gibson 12" is much more comfortable and natural for my hands (fairly big hands).

Back