Do you think Ed ever plays Da Marshall?

RaceU4her":1icqvn3g said:
i know i read or saw an interview where ed says "the marshall" dosent sound as good as it once did, it dosent have the gain or sustain it once had

I read that some tech in the 80's rewired it and it didn't sound as good after that. But, Dave Friedman took a look at it within the last 10-15 years and apparently brought it back to being about as good as it was originally. Think Mike Soldano also took a brief look at it.

Honestly, I wonder how magical Eddie's plexi really was... without the variac, would the VH1/early EVH tone be renowned today?

Salos":1s9bvsa1 said:
RaceU4her":1s9bvsa1 said:
i know i read or saw an interview where ed says "the marshall" dosent sound as good as it once did, it dosent have the gain or sustain it once had

I read that some tech in the 80's rewired it and it didn't sound as good after that. But, Dave Friedman took a look at it within the last 10-15 years and apparently brought it back to being about as good as it was originally. Think Mike Soldano also took a brief look at it.

Honestly, I wonder how magical Eddie's plexi really was... without the variac, would the VH1/early EVH tone be renowned today?
With Ed playing it?...yes. With a mere mortal playing it?...no.

Ed stated in that Guitar World interview a few years back that his new EVH 5150-34 (made by Fender mind you) was to be just as good as his old Plexi but better in that it had more gain and more sustain. He even said that for those early VH tone chasers - this would be their amp. YMMV

PS: Huge VH fan

311splawndude":1h3u6tf7 said:
Ed stated in that Guitar World interview a few years back that his new EVH 5150-34 (made by Fender mind you) was to be just as good as his old Plexi but better in that it had more gain and more sustain. He even said that for those early VH tone chasers - this would be their amp. YMMV

PS: Huge VH fan

Disclaimer: I've never played a regular 5150 III and a 5150 III-EL34 side by side but...

I don't get that...it's got basically the same preamp at the regular 5150 III, right? Without some major tweaking to the preamp on that amp, I don't see how it's instantly going to become a Plexi-lovers dream just by changing the output tubes.

Salos":hvpvud2j said:
RaceU4her":hvpvud2j said:

I heard that 80’s tech was Bogner. lol

psychodave":3ohpk7rp said:
I heard that 80’s tech was Bogner. lol

hahaha, that's funny. It's crazy all of the amp legends that have been inside that amp at some point: Bogner, Mike Soldano, John Suhr, Dave Friedman, Steve Fryette.

sutepaj":3rh9wn7m said:
glip22":3rh9wn7m said:
Has anyone ever explained the hole in the chassis on the rear of " The Plexi"?

It was where Jose added a master volume.
Was he the guy that did all kinds of modifications on Marshall amps for all the rock star guitarists back then, or was that someone else? Bruce Egnator maybe?

EVH bought that Marshall when he was a kid and they weren't that rare. I think that amp was only three years old when he got it. He had no way of knowing that a '68 12000 series Rosemary was going to become the Holy Grail of Marshalls. You probably remember he stopped touring with it after it got lost in air freight for a few months, but recorded with it on every album. I'm trying to figure out how it ended up in NYC when he appeared on Letterman around '85. He couldn't play that thing in his apt. in NYC, he couldn't carry it on a plane as carry on, wouldn't ship it, probably wouldn't put it in checked baggage. Unless he flew in someone's private jet, how did it end up there, and why didn't he just borrow one from one of the stores on 48th St. for the night?

Anyway, this is his rig from the 5150 tour and they're all NMVs.
standard.jpg

I just got a '78 NMV 100w and, while it's not the old Brown Sound, it definitely has some of that DNA in it. I saw that tour and his live tone was exponentially better than that mush on the 5150 album.

LP Freak":2y25m1pb said:
311splawndude":2y25m1pb said:
sutepaj":2y25m1pb said:
glip22":2y25m1pb said:
Has anyone ever explained the hole in the chassis on the rear of " The Plexi"?

It was where Jose added a master volume.
Then why was it a hole and not a knob?
It was a knob at one point
Exactly.

So why did Ed have it removed? Can't be a tone suck thing? Always wondered about this, not trying to be funny or anything.

Back