Output transformers of VH4 killed with wrong cabinet input?

Carlito

Hey guys,

I just tried switching on my VH4 and right after the lights went on the whole thing shut down.
No reaction whatsoever. I had it serviced a couple of month ago and it got a new rectumfrier....so it should be ok, basically.
After closer inspection, I saw that my little three year old son changed inputs on the 4x12 cabinet from "8 ohms mono" to "16 ohms stereo b". The amp was still on 8 ohms.
I routinely check inputs since I once cought my son red handed doing it - though I´m not sure if I played through the amp with the dickered inputs.
If so, I played only on low bedroom levels but maybe for a total of an hour or so. (Due to the kinds I only have really short - maybe 20-25min - playing sessions).
Any ideas or advice? Fried? Half fried? Medium well fried? Blown fuse as a strange coincidence with changed wiring?

Many thanks in advance,
Carlito

PS: I will change the fuse later and see what happens - for now I don´t want fireworks in the amp when the kids are still around.

hi, amps that are built like this - its really reaaaally difficult to fry them for good. Most likely the fuse went out, have you checked those?

I did it once ;) well, it might happen, that the rectumfrier dies...
Anyway - the spare fuse is dead, too. Will have to get one on monday.
I don´t like waiting!

Having an amp set to power a lower load when fed to a higher impedance load isn't as bad as having the amp set to power a high load only to be sent to a low impedance load. That latter of the two is OT death when things start moving (signal > preamp > PI > powertubes > OT > low load). THAT will fry shit quick. An amp set at, say, 4 or 8 ohms, pushing a 16ohm load, while not ideal, won't do immediate damage.

Fuses. Just check them fuses - and be mindful of that lil' 3 year old :thumbsup:

Unkle Mo

Carlito":23meh7x0 said:
Hey guys,

Any ideas or advice? Fried? Half fried? Medium well fried?

Many thanks in advance,

Carlito
You're a funny guy, NOT!

Are you by any chance the incubus?

carlitos-way1.jpg

Going from 8ohm (amp) to 16ohm (cab) is 120% safe.
Going from 8ohm (amp) to 4ohm (cab) is 99.999% safe on a an amp with high quality OT

Now to your past servicing. Why did they replace the rectifier diodes? I assume one was shorted, and that was blowing fuses when turning it on?
If so, there is usually a reason why a rectifier diode shorts. If they just replaced the diode, but did not find/fix the cause, the diode will eventually short again.

Back