Doug Aldrich Burning Rain.

Zado":hlfv4m7i said:
Modern hard rock feels so boring in my book

Have to agree for the most part. You can only write the same 4-chord chorus so many times before it just gets boring (not talking DA/BR specifically, so many rock acts do this) and I am not impressed with the riffing in this song. I like the other BR records, hope this one ends up being as good. But the single is not too impressive and feels expected. I like when artists innovate - not change completely necessarily, but innovate.

sutepaj":u6y198d6 said:
Zado":u6y198d6 said:

It is just stale.

I like it and Fair enough if you don't... I suppose you would like it if Doug just drop tuned and played the modern Chuga Chuga to make you happy... :hys:

Salos":2wnko6ct said:
Zado":2wnko6ct said:

Have to agree for the most part. You can only write the same 4-chord chorus so many times before it just gets boring (not talking DA/BR specifically, so many rock acts do this) and I am not impressed with the riffing in this song. I like the other BR records, hope this one ends up being as good. But the single is not too impressive and feels expected. I like when artists innovate - not change completely necessarily, but innovate.

Yeah, me too... That's why I am such a fan of AC/DC.......because you know there innovation...

I can listen to Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth , and Fates Warning etc. when I want to be totally in Awe, but sometimes the 4 chord chorus just rocks.

espquade":8j4yd4wn said:
Salos":8j4yd4wn said:
Zado":8j4yd4wn said:

Yeah, me too... That's why I am such a fan of AC/DC.......because you know there innovation...

I can listen to Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth , and Fates Warning etc. when I want to be totally in Awe, but sometimes the 4 chord chorus just rocks.

Classic rock bands get a pass because most of them are essentially nostalgia acts at this point. Don't get me wrong, I like AC/DC and I've seen them a few times. But AC/DC has a lot of albums, which ones are best? The first several by a longshot. Black Rain and Rock or Bust were fine and I didn't expect innovation because it's AC/DC and they have a very straightforward formula and that's who they are.

But Doug is capable of great things on guitar. He reuses riffs a lot, but he is very creative a lot of the time. Whitesnake's two records with him are great examples of that as are the previous Burning Rain albums.

Yeah the 4 chord chorus sounds good, but it's uncreative. Not saying one should never use it, but it's an anthemic songwriting tool that gets overused. Rock has a lot more elements of pop in it that people would like to believe, and this is one that I wish rock would shake free from.

So many new bands (as in younger bands, don't count Burning Rain) have lazy riffs and choruses and half (or more) the songs are in drop D. Guitar finesse in rock is something a lot of newer bands don't seem to care about. It's like the genre (or specifically: guitar's role in the genre) has devolved over the last 15-20 years to fit into the scheme of modern-style pop.

Metal is totally different and there is a lot of interesting guitarwork in newer metal.

espquade":39et33qs said:
sutepaj":39et33qs said:
Zado":39et33qs said:

It is just stale.

I like it and Fair enough if you don't... I suppose you would like it if Doug just drop tuned and played the modern Chuga Chuga to make you happy... :hys:

I play jazz and old prog rock. I barely even use distortion anymore. Stop assuming everything just because someone does not like your shitty buttrock crap post.

sutepaj":1dxkj41i said:
espquade":1dxkj41i said:
sutepaj":1dxkj41i said:
Zado":1dxkj41i said:

It is just stale.

I play jazz and old prog rock. I barely even use distortion anymore. Stop assuming everything just because someone does not like your shitty buttrock crap

post.

The only thing I assume is that by your response your wound pretty tight.. Lighten up man and try and relax and enjoy whatever you want as I will do the same....

espquade":qt331z1a said:
sutepaj":qt331z1a said:
espquade":qt331z1a said:
sutepaj":qt331z1a said:
Zado":qt331z1a said:

It is just stale.

I play jazz and old prog rock. I barely even use distortion anymore. Stop assuming everything just because someone does not like your shitty buttrock crap

post.

The only thing I assume is that by your response your wound pretty tight.. Lighten up man and try and relax and enjoy whatever you want as I will do the same....

I posted a 4 word response to your post, which you obviously took offense to, and took the liberty of assuming that I was (modern chugga chugga) whatever that means, which is apparently an affront to your buttrock generic cockrock. You like shitty music and you sound like a little girl.

sutepaj":1uzxg4gn said:
espquade":1uzxg4gn said:
espquade":1uzxg4gn said:
Zado":1uzxg4gn said:

It is just stale.

post.

I posted a 4 word response to your post, which you obviously took offense to, and took the liberty of assuming that I was (modern chugga chugga) whatever that means, which is apparently an affront to your buttrock generic cockrock. You like shitty music and you sound like a little girl.

Hey Sparky I will try an educate you.. This means :hys: I was having fun and laughing...No offense taken on my end from your initial post and your the one who has taken offense and now resort to name calling... LOL Whatever man your the one acting like a little girl so, once again lighten up...Also your reply meant nothing to me and your not important on any level for me to be offended :LOL: :LOL:

I dont want to sound like a music snob, I'm not. I'm not expecting - and maybe I'm not even interested in - complicated, articulated chord progressions or stuff like that, I like simple things. Maybe I'm just nostalgic and that's the reason why I'm not finding any excitements in nowaday rock music. Feel like the genre has lost its rawness, and juiciness.
Now you can have this kind of all similar uninspired hard rock tracks, with very produced and somehow fat (but not cutting) guitar sounds, at times with sexy/persuasive wannabe voices and uninspired melodic lines and solos.

Or else you have modern metal, which is essentially a competition, with bands trying harder and harder to get more heavy, detuned, hyper articulate 7-8-9-10 string guitar sounds (more strings = cooler, apparently). But they all sound like theres something missing at the base. I mean, Accept wasnt a super distorted band, but they were heavy no doubt.

Dunno, I'm proly getting old.

I love Doug Aldrich as a guitarist and the first two Burning Rain CDs freaking slayed. The last couple are good but not incredibly inspiring. As a fan I will check out whatever Doug is playing on.

I really like the two studio albums and live album Doug has done with The Dead Daises . The guy has been in a lot of bands (Lion , Hurricane , Bad Moon Rising , Dio )

Zado":ovwb2y2l said:
I mean, Accept wasnt a super distorted band, but they were heavy no doubt.

Dunno, I'm proly getting old.

Accept was/is pretty gainy I always thought,...

BTW have you heard their newer stuff (Blood of the Nations, Stalingrad, Blind Rage, The Rise of Chaos)? Its freakin awesome. Their singer has now been in Accept longer than Udo was. Guess we're both getting old.

I still like the same 4 chords and a cloud of dust stuff that I liked when I was a kid. Call it old, tired, boring I don't give a shit. As long as there's one of two things...an evil dark progression that sounds mean, or a nice melodic hook of some kind. Either one and I'm in.

espquade":265oj177 said:
sutepaj":265oj177 said:
Zado":265oj177 said:

It is just stale.

post.

Hey Sparky I will try an educate you.. This means :hys: I was having fun and laughing...No offense taken on my end from your initial post and your the one who has taken offense and now resort to name calling... LOL Whatever man your the one acting like a little girl so, once again lighten up...Also your reply meant nothing to me and your not important on any level for me to be offended :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the lesson in emoticon usage, Chief. I will remember to take that into consideration next time. I accused you of acting like a little girl and your only response was to "I'm rubber you're glue" me...so I consider this a draw.

Back