Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Thu, Jun 20, 2019 9:23am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 10:22am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Doug Always brings it... Killer tone and playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXjmHNQV03M

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 12:42pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
Modern hard rock feels so boring in my book

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 2:43pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Zado wrote:

Have to agree for the most part. You can only write the same 4-chord chorus so many times before it just gets boring (not talking DA/BR specifically, so many rock acts do this) and I am not impressed with the riffing in this song. I like the other BR records, hope this one ends up being as good. But the single is not too impressive and feels expected. I like when artists innovate - not change completely necessarily, but innovate.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 3:08pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 4:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sutepaj wrote:
Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

I like it and Fair enough if you don't... I suppose you would like it if Doug just drop tuned and played the modern Chuga Chuga to make you happy... :hys:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 4:37pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Salos wrote:
Zado wrote:

Have to agree for the most part. You can only write the same 4-chord chorus so many times before it just gets boring (not talking DA/BR specifically, so many rock acts do this) and I am not impressed with the riffing in this song. I like the other BR records, hope this one ends up being as good. But the single is not too impressive and feels expected. I like when artists innovate - not change completely necessarily, but innovate.

Yeah, me too... That's why I am such a fan of AC/DC.......because you know there innovation...

I can listen to Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth , and Fates Warning etc. when I want to be totally in Awe, but sometimes the 4 chord chorus just rocks.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 4:55pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

espquade wrote:
Salos wrote:
Zado wrote:

Yeah, me too... That's why I am such a fan of AC/DC.......because you know there innovation...

I can listen to Symphony X, Dream Theater, Opeth , and Fates Warning etc. when I want to be totally in Awe, but sometimes the 4 chord chorus just rocks.

Classic rock bands get a pass because most of them are essentially nostalgia acts at this point. Don't get me wrong, I like AC/DC and I've seen them a few times. But AC/DC has a lot of albums, which ones are best? The first several by a longshot. Black Rain and Rock or Bust were fine and I didn't expect innovation because it's AC/DC and they have a very straightforward formula and that's who they are.

But Doug is capable of great things on guitar. He reuses riffs a lot, but he is very creative a lot of the time. Whitesnake's two records with him are great examples of that as are the previous Burning Rain albums.

Yeah the 4 chord chorus sounds good, but it's uncreative. Not saying one should never use it, but it's an anthemic songwriting tool that gets overused. Rock has a lot more elements of pop in it that people would like to believe, and this is one that I wish rock would shake free from.

So many new bands (as in younger bands, don't count Burning Rain) have lazy riffs and choruses and half (or more) the songs are in drop D. Guitar finesse in rock is something a lot of newer bands don't seem to care about. It's like the genre (or specifically: guitar's role in the genre) has devolved over the last 15-20 years to fit into the scheme of modern-style pop.

Metal is totally different and there is a lot of interesting guitarwork in newer metal.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 5:13pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

I like it and Fair enough if you don't... I suppose you would like it if Doug just drop tuned and played the modern Chuga Chuga to make you happy... :hys:

I play jazz and old prog rock. I barely even use distortion anymore. Stop assuming everything just because someone does not like your shitty buttrock crap post.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 5:45pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sutepaj wrote:
espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

I play jazz and old prog rock. I barely even use distortion anymore. Stop assuming everything just because someone does not like your shitty buttrock crap

post.

The only thing I assume is that by your response your wound pretty tight.. Lighten up man and try and relax and enjoy whatever you want as I will do the same....

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 6:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

I play jazz and old prog rock. I barely even use distortion anymore. Stop assuming everything just because someone does not like your shitty buttrock crap

post.

The only thing I assume is that by your response your wound pretty tight.. Lighten up man and try and relax and enjoy whatever you want as I will do the same....

I posted a 4 word response to your post, which you obviously took offense to, and took the liberty of assuming that I was (modern chugga chugga) whatever that means, which is apparently an affront to your buttrock generic cockrock. You like shitty music and you sound like a little girl.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 6:05pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sutepaj wrote:
espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

post.

I posted a 4 word response to your post, which you obviously took offense to, and took the liberty of assuming that I was (modern chugga chugga) whatever that means, which is apparently an affront to your buttrock generic cockrock. You like shitty music and you sound like a little girl.

Hey Sparky I will try an educate you.. This means :hys: I was having fun and laughing...No offense taken on my end from your initial post and your the one who has taken offense and now resort to name calling... LOL Whatever man your the one acting like a little girl so, once again lighten up...Also your reply meant nothing to me and your not important on any level for me to be offended :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 6:12pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I dont want to sound like a music snob, I'm not. I'm not expecting - and maybe I'm not even interested in - complicated, articulated chord progressions or stuff like that, I like simple things. Maybe I'm just nostalgic and that's the reason why I'm not finding any excitements in nowaday rock music. Feel like the genre has lost its rawness, and juiciness.
Now you can have this kind of all similar uninspired hard rock tracks, with very produced and somehow fat (but not cutting) guitar sounds, at times with sexy/persuasive wannabe voices and uninspired melodic lines and solos.

Or else you have modern metal, which is essentially a competition, with bands trying harder and harder to get more heavy, detuned, hyper articulate 7-8-9-10 string guitar sounds (more strings = cooler, apparently). But they all sound like theres something missing at the base. I mean, Accept wasnt a super distorted band, but they were heavy no doubt.

Dunno, I'm proly getting old.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 6:50pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I love Doug Aldrich as a guitarist and the first two Burning Rain CDs freaking slayed. The last couple are good but not incredibly inspiring. As a fan I will check out whatever Doug is playing on.

ENGL SAVAGE 120 KT88
EVH 5150 III COMBO
BOSS KATANA MINI

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:14pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I really like the two studio albums and live album Doug has done with The Dead Daises . The guy has been in a lot of bands (Lion , Hurricane , Bad Moon Rising , Dio )

Last edited by hammered on Sun, Jan 13, 2019 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:47pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Honestly it sounded like a Nickelback song

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel

Last edited by scottosan on Mon, Jan 14, 2019 10:43am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:54pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Zado wrote:
I mean, Accept wasnt a super distorted band, but they were heavy no doubt.

Dunno, I'm proly getting old.

Accept was/is pretty gainy I always thought,...

BTW have you heard their newer stuff (Blood of the Nations, Stalingrad, Blind Rage, The Rise of Chaos)? Its freakin awesome. Their singer has now been in Accept longer than Udo was. Guess we're both getting old.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:35pm 
Rock God

I still like the same 4 chords and a cloud of dust stuff that I liked when I was a kid. Call it old, tired, boring I don't give a shit. As long as there's one of two things...an evil dark progression that sounds mean, or a nice melodic hook of some kind. Either one and I'm in.

Roland SDE 3000
79 1960A w/65s
74 1960A w/GBs
Mesa Standard V30 cab
Peavey Butcher Cab w/K85s
2009 Charvel USA Plum SoCal
1980 Greco EG500 LP
1985 Ibanez Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 9:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
espquade wrote:
sutepaj wrote:
Zado wrote:

It is just stale.

post.

Hey Sparky I will try an educate you.. This means :hys: I was having fun and laughing...No offense taken on my end from your initial post and your the one who has taken offense and now resort to name calling... LOL Whatever man your the one acting like a little girl so, once again lighten up...Also your reply meant nothing to me and your not important on any level for me to be offended :lol: :LOL:

Thanks for the lesson in emoticon usage, Chief. I will remember to take that into consideration next time. I accused you of acting like a little girl and your only response was to "I'm rubber you're glue" me...so I consider this a draw.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 9:06pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I’m a huge DA fan but I hated this. Uggggghhhh

My Gear:
Balaguer Thicket
Balaguer Growler
PRS Custom 22 in Vintage Yellow
Ibanez AZTQM
EVH 5150 III 50 watt

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 9:11pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

scottosan wrote:
Honestly I sound ded like a Nickelback song

Really struggling not to put this in my sig right now.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 10:44am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

sutepaj wrote:
scottosan wrote:
Honestly I sound ded like a Nickelback song

Really struggling not to put this in my sig right now.

Damn I can't type on this phone with my big ole sausage fingers

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
1988 Les Paul 1959 Reissue
Chubtone #17
Charvel Satchel

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 2:39pm 
Plank Cranker

I am a big fan of Doug's playing, but I haven't been a fan of his singers on his solo projects, which hinders me from enjoying them. I liked Hurricane, House of Lords, and the stuff that he did with Dean C (written by someone else), but Kal and the other guy are not my favorites. I think that this song and many of his others show how important it is to have a singer that can write a melody. I love some newer indie bands and they are writing basic, four chord songs as well, but they are interesting because the singers take liberties and go places with the melodies that older rock guys don't.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 6:04pm 
Supah Stah

Not a fan of the singer. I miss Bad Moon Rising Doug...

2017 Charvel San Dimas

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 8:55pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Some Dead Daises

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 9:00pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

OP not trying to hijack your thread just thought I`d post some more of Dougs stuff

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 10:31am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Pie in the sky, but I would have preferred to see Doug stay in Whitesnake. As the only guitarist - no need for 2 players since 1987
The songwriting and playing on Forevermore was top notch, but has been missing in all Doug has done since
The Dead Daisies are pretty good, although Doug at lower gain is like driving a Mustang at 20mph in top gear

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 1:19pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

SFW wrote:
Not a fan of the singer. I miss Bad Moon Rising Doug...

I hear ya man...

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 8:20pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I don't care for drop tuned songs. I like drop D, if it goes below that I don't care for it. I don't even like to tune to Eb.
Other than the fact that it was tuned down I liked it. Doug can flat out play.
Looks like I'm in the minority on this one but that's ok. I'm a fan of what was considered metal in the '80s. I just spent the last 3 days learning the lead to "flying high again " by Ozzy. SO It should come as no surprise that I liked it.

Ibanez Jem7v
Schecter -1 FR-S
Taylor 814
Tracy amps AC1 50 watter (my brand)
Diezel VH2
Marshall jcm 800 2204
Marshall full stack 2-4x12
EVH 15 watt lunchbox

PostPosted: Wed, Jan 16, 2019 5:33pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

The first 2 albums are killer, my fave DA tone (along with the Live In The Still Of The Night DVD)

Hate the production on the last 2