Spaceboy

You apparently can't choose telex and grill cloth to suite your amps or anything anymore. I could understand a cost factor of having all that material around, but dang that doesn't seem like the best business move since that was a major appeal of going with Avatar. They've been doing custom colors for more than a decade, and now it's all boring black boxes. They don't seem to be doing amps anymore either. What gives?

I talked to Dave a few months ago because I had a cab on order, and he was struggling to get his CNC machine guy to get the materials back to him, so he wanted to see if I wanted to work something else out. But basically he is restructuring his entire business model...only offering the most popular options, of which he did mention black being the most popular. He mentioned that over 90% of the cabs he makes are black, so its exactly what you said...not very cost effective for him to keep the other colors around.

Spaceboy":20np4ymk said:
You apparently can't choose telex and grill cloth to suite your amps or anything anymore. I could understand a cost factor of having all that material around, but dang that doesn't seem like the best business move since that was a major appeal of going with Avatar. They've been doing custom colors for more than a decade, and now it's all boring black boxes. They don't seem to be doing amps anymore either. What gives?

Is it a good business model to tie up money on product that doesn't move? No. It's funny how people suddenly become economics majors when they can't get their way.

They're streamlining their offerings based on sales, which is smart. That's why I discontinued 10" speakers 7 years ago. I only sold 30-40 per year, and with the minimum frame order of 600, I would have had frames for 15 years. That's a lot of warehouse space for models that aren't popular.

I'm surprised black would be so popular, I've never seen plain all black Avatar cabs in the wild.

napalmdeath, you can suck an egg.

I have a bunch of their cabs...Signature 212, Contemporary 212, Contemporary 112. My other guitar player has a Contemporary 212. All black.

Their cabs are really good. Especially the 212s. They definitely punch well above their weight.

napalmdeath":1b8eigai said:
Spaceboy":1b8eigai said:

Is it a good business model to tie up money on product that doesn't move? No. It's funny how people suddenly become economics majors when they can't get their way.

Whoa bro, I don't really think that Spaceboy was complaining, just asking "why the sudden change?" Relax.

Spaceboy, I definitely get where you're coming from. It seems that the cab customization was their bread and butter, but apparently we were wrong, seeing as how 90% of their business is basically for an all black cab anyways. You can still choose your cab type and speakers, and still pay less than most of the big dogs for a great cab, so they still have that going for them.

Bad.Seed":3e4kq7nm said:
napalmdeath":3e4kq7nm said:
Spaceboy":3e4kq7nm said:

Whoa bro, I don't really think that Spaceboy was complaining, just asking "why the sudden change?" Relax.

Spaceboy, I definitely get where you're coming from. It seems that the cab customization was their bread and butter, but apparently we were wrong, seeing as how 90% of their business is basically for an all black cab anyways. You can still choose your cab type and speakers, and still pay less than most of the big dogs for a great cab, so they still have that going for them.

I was just teasing, I hear what he's saying. It'll be tough to find anyone to cater to those wanting different options, without paying an arm and a leg! It's cheaper these days to do it yourself!

I have a G212 Contemporary cabinet (V30/CL80) in orange Tolex and wheat grill cloth. Unused, with hang tags. The value should skyrocket, right? :LOL: :LOL:

I just looked through the site and some cabs you can still change the grill cloth and some come standard wth wheat and S&P

I’m glad I got off the fence and ordered my blonde 2x12 with wheat grille last year.

Dave is good people. Can't blame him. I forgot to post in here when I first saw it. I wish him the best. He does make great affordable cabs and he is accessible. I found a Splawn Quick Rod on my local Craigslist and went to check it out because I had heard about how great they were. I really didn't have the cash at the time but once I played it I just had to have it. Because the sale jacked my budget I decided to get a cheaperish cab to hold me over.

Someone on a forum told me to check out Avatar dude! You can pick your color and style etc. Guess what I got?

Black :D

La4Paqr.jpg

Point though was that if the Splawn had been purple or orange for example, Avatar would have been a really really good choice. I ended up doing the 212 (G12H30 / CL80)

I have 3 Avatar cabs.

Contemporary 112.
TuCllZxl.jpg

Signature 212
YzDV5uRl.jpg

And a contemporary 212, which is similar to the signature, just without that little offshoot for the logo.

My Signature 212 is my favorite cab.

I also own a Vader 412 and a Fender MH412.

Back