Tom Anderson Guitars/Custom Shop

Anderson Guitars are just that amazing. At times I wonder why Suhr has litterally tons of supporters and fans and Anderson has not.

When John Suhr was building his brand (with partner Rudy Pensa) starting with Pensa-Suhr MK (Mark Knopfler) in the mid '80's, Tom Anderson was supplying Rudy and John with the guitar parts, and John was custom building the instruments. Tom Anderson is THE custom builder.

So I picked up a Tom Anderson strat for the first time at GC last weekend. Played AMAZING. It's a newer 2018 model. Hard to describe but it was just super playable and I could really dig in on it. So I had to buy it, unfortunately I have to wait until this weekend to pick it up because of the 30 day hold.
Then I was at a different store last night and see another used Anderson strat hanging there. I pick it up and this one plays just as well! I look at the serial and this ones from 1993.

Point of this rant is the two Andersons I've played, 25 years apart from each other in build date, both had the same amazing playability, resonance, and just got along with me so well. So now i'm thinking about just ordering a custom so I can get exactly what I want. maybe a pro am or something. Does anyone have the same experience with Anderson guitars? Any experience with the custom shop? Usually I don't like to order custom because you never know if its going to be a dud, or not as great and consistent as the guitar you might already have from a manufacturer.

Thanks
There is no custom shop. All are made by the same folks. IMHO, Anderson’s are superior to Suhr. Tom just refused to mass produce.

My TA. Plays like buttah! Waiting for a new Drop Top Classic that is in painting at the moment.
0A6A8A27-D8F2-4A42-92B8-F8D13EA5CA5C.jpeg

Agree with everyone else here. Tom Andersons may be the best there is.In the 90s i met Tom at a local music store.He was doing a clinic on his guitars..He must of had 30-40 there that eve.His tech played most of them.Then we were allowed to play them.It was awesome!

I love his guitars, just wish there was a no buzz f option. I've tried all the different ways to intonate just doesn't work for me.

This thread is fuckin killing me. I really wasn't ready to order an Anderson, but now I'm on the verge of just saying fuck it and ordering up sooner than later :bash:
4+ yrs later and I'm going thru it.
I found a great deal on a 22 Icon, and I'm trying hard to not buy it until my LP sells. Which I don't even wanna do! lol But I dunno, I think an Anderson Strat type will get more play.

1703708316262.png

Last edited:
Disclaimer I am currently a TA artist but that is recent, I have owned them an played them exclusively since around 1990 ish. First played a bowling ball floyd pro am at Sam Ash and was hooked, it was a holy fuck moment. I have had maybe 50 TA's and even the worst one was exceptional They are so consistent and are built so well that it is hard to play anything else. Currently I have a drop top, a Short T, Short Classic, 3 single coil classic and a short Classic. Could not recommend them highly enough! Don't have one now but the Cobra S is awesome too! PM if you have any questions I can help with. The new V quiet silent single coil system is killer.

Disclaimer I am currently a TA artist but that is recent, I have owned them an played them exclusively since around 1990 ish. First played a bowling ball floyd pro am at Sam Ash and was hooked, it was a holy fuck moment. I have had maybe 50 TA's and even the worst one was exceptional They are so consistent and are built so well that it is hard to play anything else. Currently I have a drop top, a Short T, Short Classic, 3 single coil classic and a short Classic. Could not recommend them highly enough! Don't have one now but the Cobra S is awesome too! PM if you have any questions I can help with. The new V quiet silent single coil system is killer.

50! Dang!!!
I have played my buddy's Pro Am many times this year. Love it. Would be hard to choose between it and my Suhr Modern.
Then he got an Icon Strat. It is superb. Sets up ez, plays like my thoughts are seamless with my hands. Sustains forever, with single coils.
So I started looking at found that one for a good deal. It's killing me.

Back