Do you think Ed ever plays Da Marshall?

Rick Lee":1xkfg1gc said:
EVH bought that Marshall when he was a kid and they weren't that rare. I think that amp was only three years old when he got it. He had no way of knowing that a '68 12000 series Rosemary was going to become the Holy Grail of Marshalls. You probably remember he stopped touring with it after it got lost in air freight for a few months, but recorded with it on every album. I'm trying to figure out how it ended up in NYC when he appeared on Letterman around '85. He couldn't play that thing in his apt. in NYC, he couldn't carry it on a plane as carry on, wouldn't ship it, probably wouldn't put it in checked baggage. Unless he flew in someone's private jet, how did it end up there, and why didn't he just borrow one from one of the stores on 48th St. for the night?

Anyway, this is his rig from the 5150 tour and they're all NMVs.
standard.jpg

I just got a '78 NMV 100w and, while it's not the old Brown Sound, it definitely has some of that DNA in it. I saw that tour and his live tone was exponentially better than that mush on the 5150 album.

Most of those Marshall’s were slave amps and not used for Preamp tone. :thumbsup:

311splawndude":30191d0r said:
sutepaj":30191d0r said:
glip22":30191d0r said:
Has anyone ever explained the hole in the chassis on the rear of " The Plexi"?

It was where Jose added a master volume.
Then why was it a hole and not a knob?

There was a pot in it when Eddie used it. Check out the pic.

I’m also sure there were zeners attached to the pot to give that added gain Eddie got when playing low volumes. When Eddie got bigger and played big venues where he could crank the amp, he no longer needed the master volume.

Also, all of those popular amp techs were in Eddies amp. Not one of them were in his amp back in 1978-1981, so anything they say is only based on when they saw it 20-30 years later.

psychodave":bsgpj8g9 said:
311splawndude":bsgpj8g9 said:
sutepaj":bsgpj8g9 said:
glip22":bsgpj8g9 said:

I’m also sure there were zeners attached to the pot to give that added gain Eddie got when playing low volumes. When Eddie got bigger and played big venues where he could crank the amp, he no longer needed the master volume.

Also, all of those popular amp techs were in Eddies amp. Not one of them were in his amp back in 1978-1981, so anything they say is only based on when they saw it 20-30 years later.
This is my belief as well regardless of how many feel the amp was bone stock. No, it wasn't and Eddie will never admit it. Maybe he had some kind of contract deal with Marshall and he came to believe his own lie or there's another reason.

glip22":9msvl0y6 said:
psychodave":9msvl0y6 said:
311splawndude":9msvl0y6 said:
sutepaj":9msvl0y6 said:
glip22":9msvl0y6 said:

This is my belief as well regardless of how many feel the amp was bone stock. No, it wasn't and Eddie will never admit it. Maybe he had some kind of contract deal with Marshall and he came to believe his own lie or there's another reason.
Absolutely. And, not sure which tech mentioned it but saying that there's no 'evidence' of any previous mod is ridiculous. Once the mv was removed, you wouldn't be able to tell anything was ever done, except for the hole on the back which can be plugged.

Not to be annoying but why was the MV removed. Anyone know?

One could speculate that Eddie felt that the tone changed and asked to have to reversed? That's my guess. Also, would that have been a PPIMV?

311splawndude":4mwcrgp6 said:
Not to be annoying but why was the MV removed. Anyone know?

One could speculate that Eddie felt that the tone changed and asked to have to reversed? That's my guess. Also, would that have been a PPIMV?

I would speculate that he probably cranked it up a few times when he got it and said "WOAHHH FUCK" that sounds good but realized there is no way a small-mid sized club is gonna let him destroy peoples hearing. So he got a master volume put in.... and then they got pretty big and he was playing big places where he could just crank it up...so he got it taken out and went from there.

Fun to read the young'uns around here relive the voyage of discovery that is Ed's early amp tone.

Read Suhr's responses over at TGP, he was around back then. I worked for the band back in the 90s and have talked to Mike, Reinhold, etc. It was stock. Variac at 89-90v, bias dimed. Good ol' M25w GBs.

Rdodson":10n71ah3 said:
Fun to read the young'uns around here relive the voyage of discovery that is Ed's early amp tone.

Read Suhr's responses over at TGP, he was around back then. I worked for the band back in the 90s and have talked to Mike, Reinhold, etc. It was stock. Variac at 89-90v, bias dimed. Good ol' M25w GBs.

Respectfully, Suhr, Mike, Dave and Reinhold weren’t in the amp when it was his main amp and being used to record VH1-Fair Warning. We all know Jose was in it. Jose isnt famous for keeping Marshall’s stock. :D

As we can clearly see in the pic I posted above, there is what looks like a pot sticking out of the back of the amp along with some white stickers or something....I’ve never seen a “stock” Marshall look like that. ;)

It’s all in good fun.

Rdodson":36ktfzf1 said:

Why is there a pot added in the back of the amp if it is "stock"? I don't really see any other stock Plexi's with a hole in the back, or a pot.

Think Eds got the chops (anymore) to play the Marshall...some of that old super fast and tight shit...like hang-em high. Being somewhat cheeky here...of course he has the chops....

Right? :D

^ I would say yes based on some of his playing on A Different Kind of Truth :yes:

I for one am done after this because let's face it...does it really matter 40 years later?

That and I, like others, prefer the tone of Fair Warning and 1984 and Balance better anyway.

I went to google to find more pics of the back of that Marshall. The 'white knob'.

I found 2 things right away :D

This old Rig-Talk thread. Nice to see how we've all grown up. :LOL: :LOL: Go to the last page - page 11 as that seems pretty conclusive to me. What's interesting though is how people claim the amp was not modded but had some 'slight modifications'. :confused:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=143329

And this blog from woodytone and what John Suhr saw.

http://www.woodytone.com/2010/07/19/the ... uper-lead/

311splawndude":24wgj8yh said:
^ I would say yes based on some of his playing on A Different Kind of Truth :yes:

I for one am done after this because let's face it...does it really matter 40 years later?

That and I, like others, prefer the tone of Fair Warning and 1984 and Balance better anyway.

I went to google to find more pics of the back of that Marshall. The 'white knob'.

This old Rig-Talk thread. Nice to see how we've all grown up. :LOL: :LOL: Go to the last page - page 11 as that seems pretty conclusive to me. What's interesting though is how people claim the amp was not modded but had some 'slight modifications'. :confused:

I like this quote that is in there

Before the Dutch guy, before Suhr, the amp came to us at Soldano. I worked for Soldano in the late 80's-early 90's when Ed bought three SLO 100's (one of which he took to Peavey, which resulted in the 5150). Anyway, Ed's amp was totally stock except for the one little mod that everyone wants to keep secret. Well, here it is: On V2, there is a 820 ohm cathode resistor. Some plexis have this resistor bypassed with a .68 capacitor. Most Marshalls have no bypass cap here, just the 820 ohm. Well, Ed's amp had a 330uF electrolytic capacitor bypassing this 820 ohm resistor. If you look at Fender schematics for the tweed Bassman amp, Fender already tried this idea on the 5F6 Bassman (with a 25uF), but removed it on the next model, the famous 5F6A. Just adding that capacitor adds more gain than you might think. Add that cap to the Variac set at about 85 volts and all the other stuff, and there you are.

LP Freak":1lw6xeu7 said:
311splawndude":1lw6xeu7 said:

Before the Dutch guy, before Suhr, the amp came to us at Soldano. I worked for Soldano in the late 80's-early 90's when Ed bought three SLO 100's (one of which he took to Peavey, which resulted in the 5150). Anyway, Ed's amp was totally stock except for the one little mod that everyone wants to keep secret. Well, here it is: On V2, there is a 820 ohm cathode resistor. Some plexis have this resistor bypassed with a .68 capacitor. Most Marshalls have no bypass cap here, just the 820 ohm. Well, Ed's amp had a 330uF electrolytic capacitor bypassing this 820 ohm resistor. If you look at Fender schematics for the tweed Bassman amp, Fender already tried this idea on the 5F6 Bassman (with a 25uF), but removed it on the next model, the famous 5F6A. Just adding that capacitor adds more gain than you might think. Add that cap to the Variac set at about 85 volts and all the other stuff, and there you are.

thanks for sharing! That always seemed to be the best place to mess with values when i was looking for more gain in my 1987X build. Get the MV up and presence up and it crunches nicely with the right pups. Not really a secret, just some great players using these. Mattias Jabs was another guy.. hot pups, volume, small nudge from echoplex too.

The timing of that little thing is disputed, Ed doesn't (or didn't) remember, but yeah. It could add some.

The old style (not PPIMV) master volume "mod" that the amp sported for a very short time would do very little.

But get a Metro 12000 (which IS a '68 same spec as Ed's) and crank it on the variac setting and you are THERE, especially with an EP-3 in front. ESPECIALLY with a Boss EQ boosting the front end as well.

I PROMISE it isn't that complicated. It just isn't. But, if the quest keeps ya goin', then keep searching.

LP Freak":25pujzv5 said:
311splawndude":25pujzv5 said:

Rdodson":2a21x7lf said:
The timing of that little thing is disputed, Ed doesn't (or didn't) remember, but yeah. It could add some.

The old style (not PPIMV) master volume "mod" that the amp sported for a very short time would do very little.

But get a Metro 12000 (which IS a '68 same spec as Ed's) and crank it on the variac setting and you are THERE, especially with an EP-3 in front. ESPECIALLY with a Boss EQ boosting the front end as well.

I PROMISE it isn't that complicated. It just isn't. But, if the quest keeps ya goin', then keep searching.

LP Freak":2a21x7lf said:
311splawndude":2a21x7lf said:

The MXR EQ is the secret sauce to drive the front of the Marshall’s. That Boss EQ appeared when they played big arenas and Eddie needed to adjust EQ more.

The echoplex delays were used after the main amp was loaded down to a line level. Then the signal went into an echoplex (2) and the Univox delay. Of course then the signal went into that huge rack of Marshall amps which were used as wet/dry/wet for live playing.

The easiest way to get the VH sound is to go into an MXR 6band EQ into the front of a NMV Marshall, go out into a load box that gives you a line level (many common attenuators on the market do this) then plig into an echoplex or some kind of delay, then into the front of another Marshall. Then adjust the controls of that Marshall to get the sound you want coming out of the speakers (from being plugged into that Marshall). Eddie wasn’t the only one doing this back in the 70’s and early 80’s. As time went on and higher gain amps were being used, lots of people forgot about what I just mentioned.

I don't know why this frustrates me so. I'm 51 and none of this matters anymore, but I guess conspiracy-theory nuts just drive me crazy.

John Suhr, Mike Soldano, R Bogner, Dave Friedman (heck, ME as like I said I worked for the band for a while and had first hand contact with these guys)...the amp was not modded in any way pertinent to THAT sound. Did Jose really jack up some stuff? Sure did. Some of it was kinda cool I guess, and sounded really neat for some, but it wasn't what you are looking for. Jose has become a myth, a Elf riding a unicorn in some Gen-X garage guitarists' fantasies leading to Valhalla where everyone has their own custom Ellsworth-cut axe and an amp born from the Force ghosts of Jim Marshall and Jose Arredondo in a grotto replicating the interior of Arco Electronics.

Heck, I don't know if he's on this board but ask George Metropoulos for his opinion. No...he's exhausted and trying to keep his amp business afloat and doesn't need the headache.

Rdodson":36ndpjs1 said:
I don't know why this frustrates me so. I'm 51 and none of this matters anymore, but I guess conspiracy-theory nuts just drive me crazy.

John Suhr, Mike Soldano, R Bogner, Dave Friedman (heck, ME as like I said I worked for the band for a while and had first hand contact with these guys)...the amp was not modded in any way pertinent to THAT sound. Did Jose really jack up some stuff? Sure did. Some of it was kinda cool I guess, and sounded really neat for some, but it wasn't what you are looking for. Jose has become a myth, a Elf riding a unicorn in some Gen-X garage guitarists' fantasies leading to Valhalla where everyone has their own custom Ellsworth-cut axe and an amp born from the Force ghosts of Jim Marshall and Jose Arredondo in a grotto replicating the interior of Arco Electronics.

Heck, I don't know if he's on this board but ask George Metropoulos for his opinion. No...he's exhausted and trying to keep his amp business afloat and doesn't need the headache.

Amen!!! :thumbsup:

Back