Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Jun 25, 2019 10:00am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 5:41pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
I'm reading that Jesse Leach, lead singer, of Killswitch Engage is taking a break to take care of himself (mental illness). I'm a huge Killswitch fan. Mad props to him for opening up about it and also seeking help. Here is to Jesse in the hopes he gets the help he needs and gets back to it as soon as he can. :thumbsup:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... icide.html

I went to find a video for those not that familiar with KSE and actually found a youtube that describes this and reads his instagram post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp6mEOykO_8

Here is an actual vid. Bad ass song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANCzu70us4

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Clips
My Blogs

"PEOPLE TRUST ME WITH THEIR LIVES,,,,, THINK ABOUT IT!" - Billy Blades

"I don't let peoples opinion of me rent space in my head, its none of my bidness."- Charveldan

"Mr. Blades is a dickwad, can't play for shit, can't make an amp to save his life and has shit gear.
Dan is largely misunderstood, a great person, a good GP and has excellent gear. Other than that they are nothing alike."
- Charveldan 03/02/16..............AKA: Chester Nimitz

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 5:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Well that sucks to hear. Any idea how this is going to affect the release of their new album?

• ESP: Alexi Scythe CS
    - Duncan: Nazgûl

• Peters: Body Hammer
  • VHT: FB-412 P50E

• MXR: Q-Zone
  • Maxon: OD808
  • Fortin: Zuul
  • TC Elec: Quintessence
  • Empress: ParaEq
  • Maxon: AD9Pro
  • RJM: Effect Gizmo
  • GigRig: Humdinger

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:05pm 
Supah Stah

Man, that is so awesome that he has acknowledged he has a problem and is getting help for it. I have anxiety and I don't think people realize how up and down it can be and how it can affect almost every aspect of your life.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:07pm 
Supah Stah

Oblivion DC wrote:
Well that sucks to hear. Any idea how this is going to affect the release of their new album?

Glad you're compassionate about it.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:12pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I thought when they did that Dio cover that it was the end. God Bless them for continuing the struggle.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 7:57pm 
Rock God Trainee

I'm a fan of the band but I don't know any of them personally or anything so won't comment on that stuff.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• Peavey JSX
• PRS MT15
• Peavey XXX
• MESA & Krank 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• Celestion & WGS

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:29pm 
Supah Stah

sutepaj wrote:
I thought when they did that Dio cover that it was the end. God Bless them for continuing the struggle.

I was just listening to that yesterday on my IPod while working out. They did "Holy Diver" and an awesome version I must say.

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 8:48pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Oblivion DC wrote:

Nope. Can't find anything anywhere.

I really feel for the guy. Album was delayed last spring because he had to get vocal cord surgery. They did invite Howard to come join in on a duet with Jesse. Now it sounds like he and his wife just got a divorce. Damn.

But yeah, I assumed the album was done or almost done. At this point who knows. It appears their tour with Parkway Drive is still set to kick off mid April :dunno:

It would be interesting, if needed, if Howard could step in and help finish the album (again - if needed) and get that tour kicked off (if needed). I dig each singer for different reasons.

Clips
My Blogs

"I don't let peoples opinion of me rent space in my head, its none of my bidness."- Charveldan

"Mr. Blades is a dickwad, can't play for shit, can't make an amp to save his life and has shit gear.
Dan is largely misunderstood, a great person, a good GP and has excellent gear. Other than that they are nothing alike."

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 9:10pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

napalmdeath wrote:
Oblivion DC wrote:

Glad you're compassionate about it.

I said it sucks. Jesse Leech is one of my favorite singers and I love KSE. I should cry about it? No. It sucks but I can’t do shit for him and I’m not gonna pretend to be devastated about his situation. I am however interested in how the band is going to handle it seeing as they just spent the last year writing and recording their next album and just wrapped it up late in Dec of last year. Not to mention that this is the second time he’s walked away from the band and both times his new-wife/ex-wife has played more than a bit part in it.

• ESP: Alexi Scythe CS
    - Duncan: Nazgûl

• Peters: Body Hammer
  • VHT: FB-412 P50E

• MXR: Q-Zone
  • Maxon: OD808
  • Fortin: Zuul
  • TC Elec: Quintessence
  • Empress: ParaEq
  • Maxon: AD9Pro
  • RJM: Effect Gizmo
  • GigRig: Humdinger

PostPosted: Sun, Jan 13, 2019 10:29pm 
Rock God Trainee

311splawndude wrote:
Oblivion DC wrote:

Nope. Can't find anything anywhere.

I really feel for the guy. Album was delayed last spring because he had to get vocal cord surgery. They did invite Howard to come join in on a duet with Jesse. Now it sounds like he and his wife just got a divorce. Damn.

Do you know the guy or something? If not, you seem pretty emotionally invested in someone that we all essentially know equally simply as fans.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• Peavey JSX
• PRS MT15
• Peavey XXX
• MESA & Krank 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• Celestion & WGS

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 10:42am 
Rock God

Repeat offender, hopefully he gets the help that he needs.

Sucks for him as well as the rest of the band having to keep go through this again and again.

"It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission"

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 11:56am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

D-Rock wrote:
Do you know the guy or something? If not, you seem pretty emotionally invested in someone that we all essentially know equally simply as fans.

Nope

But as fans, we've lost enough of our rock 'n roll heroes to not raise awareness. Suicide has touched me in several ways over the years although not myself personally. If you've been close to it then you know what I mean.

Killswitch is one of my favorite bands ever. Top 10 if not top 5. Honestly, I like KSE due to the guitar and not so much who is singing. When I read Jesse's post I got out of it that he came pretty close to the end and decided to get help. So if one person reads this and decides to do the same thing because they look up to their heroes then the time spent typing it up, copy/pasting urls, and being passionate about it is is worth it IMO.

Clips
My Blogs

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 12:02pm 
Rock God

I like KSE. Seems like the band takes its toll on singers.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 12:07pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

FourT6and2 wrote:

I think I know what you are trying to say but that makes it read like it's somehow the bands fault that Jesse, then Howard, now Jesse again need to take a break for mental health problems. The band seems very close knit and family like imo so I'm assuming it is something else.

Clips
My Blogs

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 12:25pm 
Rock God

311splawndude wrote:
FourT6and2 wrote:

I think I know what you are trying to say but that makes it read like it's somehow the bands fault that Jesse, then Howard, now Jesse again need to take a break for mental health problems. The band seems very close knit and family like imo so I'm assuming it is something else.

No I'm not saying the band members are doing something nefarious.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 12:31pm 
Plank Cranker

Hmm, same reason Howard Jones left. Probably Adam Dutkiewicz driving them crazy, that dude is a handful.

PostPosted: Mon, Jan 14, 2019 7:00pm 
Supah Stah

311splawndude wrote:
Nope

But as fans, we've lost enough of our rock 'n roll heroes to not raise awareness. Suicide has touched me in several ways over the years although not myself personally. If you've been close to it then you know what I mean.

Totally agree. Unfortunately my family has been affected by a suicide of a friend. Any support anyone gets helps.

The other day I was thinking about how different my 80s hair metal and hard rock hero memories are from the 90s stuff. It is unreal to think that Nirvana and Soundgarden both lost their lead singer/guitarists to suicide and STP and Alice in Chains lost their lead singers to drugs.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 3:49am 
Rock God Trainee

My wife kicked me out last April, I've lost half time with my young daughter and went from living in a nice house
to a one bedroom apartment.
I've since quit all drugs and alcohol and basically have zero social life and zero girlfriend prospects. Bad, bad shit.
But I guess because I haven't posted it on Instagram and I'm not a celebrity so none of it fucking matters to anyone.
I guess what I'm saying is that this climate of idolization makes me sick. Like their struggles are of more substance or something. They can disguise their motives as prevention all they want. It's bullshit. If some troubled fanboy who sees Jesse as some sort of "hero" and his announcement helps him then fine. Just don't make the dude out to be some saintly wounded lamb. He's just a guy with problems.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• Peavey JSX
• PRS MT15
• Peavey XXX
• MESA & Krank 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• Celestion & WGS

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 9:53am 
Plank Cranker

D-Rock wrote:
My wife kicked me out last April, I've lost half time with my young daughter and went from living in a nice house
I've since quit all drugs and alcohol and basically have zero social life and zero girlfriend prospects. Bad, bad shit.
But I guess because I haven't posted it on Instagram and I'm not a celebrity so none of it fucking matters to anyone.
I guess what I'm saying is that this climate of idolization makes me sick. Like their struggles are of more substance or something. They can disguise their motives as prevention all they want. It's bullshit. If some troubled fanboy who sees Jesse as some sort of "hero" and his announcement helps him then fine. Just don't make the dude out to be some saintly wounded lamb. He's just a guy with problems.

I was in your shoes 18 years ago. Although wasn't from substance abuse. Killed me being away from my daughter, I know your pain. Glad you quit the substance. Keep focus on you, don't worry, or get upset about some semi-famous dude being idolized. That way of thinking is unhealthy, and non-productive for you getting back on your feet.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 10:33am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

D-Rock - I get what you are saying man, and good for you for getting clean.

Sorry if my thread touched a nerve in the wrong way. That was not my intention. I read from Jesse's note that he wanted to get the word out in the hopes it might help others. That and there are a handful of people that have been anxiously awaiting their next album. It takes a lot of courage to do that whether you're famous or just a forumite like most of us. Jesse just happens to have been a part of some musical art that has touched thousands if not millions of fans. If his words/lyrics have touched people whether it is through instagram or a published album then I see no problem in acknowledging that and using it as a platform for prevention.

That said, I can almost guarantee you that if you had created a thread here at Rig-Talk that you were struggling and almost came to the brink, that you would have a ton of support from us if you asked for it. :)

Clips
My Blogs

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 12:51pm 
Rock God Trainee

Thanks guys, and I'm sorry. Part of this whole thing I'm stuck in right now is that I get very impatient and irritable.
My mom is 67 and was diagnosed with cancer the day after Mother's Day. She's not doing so well right now as the chemo is tearing her apart physically and mentally. Right now I'm trying to be strong for her and my Dad. It's alot to deal with on my end.

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• Peavey JSX
• PRS MT15
• Peavey XXX
• MESA & Krank 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• Celestion & WGS

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 6:20pm 
Supah Stah

D-Rock wrote:
Thanks guys, and I'm sorry. Part of this whole thing I'm stuck in right now is that I get very impatient and irritable.
My mom is 67 and was diagnosed with cancer the day after Mother's Day. She's not doing so well right now as the chemo is tearing her apart physically and mentally. Right now I'm trying to be strong for her and my Dad. It's alot to deal with on my end.

Hey man, no reason to apologize. I was so glad when I saw this post because although it is focused on someone famous, I knew there would be people on the forum that indirectly would benefit from seeing it. Although it can be frustrating to see someone famous, who has everything essentially, they are just like us when you get down to it.

Just know that although we all post on these forums about guitars and amps, there are people on here struggling with all types of things. They may not post anything about their life but could be going thru things.

I won't go into details, but 2017 into 2018 were the hardest years of my life for a myriad of reasons and at times I started wondering if I was going to be able to handle it. This forum really helped because I could get away from things and read a funny post or think about gear I wanted to buy, etc. Helped clear my mind.

Stay positive man and just take every hour and every day at a time. With this fast paced world now we all tend to think that we have to handle things like everyone else. Life can be hard but there is absolutely always a positive way to look at things and always gets better. We just have to change our way of thinking sometimes. :)

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 6:52pm 
Supah Stah

D-Rock wrote:

You're being far too sensitive. I'm not a KSE fan really. I liked Alive or Just Breathing when it was fresh and literally nothing else. But it's perfectly normal to relate to an artist through their struggles, even if their problems are not exactly the same. There can be a certain amount of comfort in knowing that people who create or achieve something are humans like everyone else, and deal with their own share of bullshit, externally and internally. You can definitely let people have a heart without a tirade about "climate of idolization" because you can't personally relate with your specific situation.

PostPosted: Tue, Jan 15, 2019 8:05pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

D-Rock wrote:

Stay strong and good luck to your mom. Mojo sent :)

Clips
My Blogs