listed a guitar but decided not to sell it. Am I wrong?

bottom line: you never told him to come get it. He took the chance, sucks it didn't work out for him.

The fault and any freakiness that ensued afterwards was all on him.

harddriver":3uvekkp5 said:
You can change your mind at any point of the transaction, it's your guitar. You never had him come to the house then renig on the sale. The fact that he got angry over it shows he is unstable, would be paying with counterfeit money or there was something shady going on, no insults were warranted.

People are getting stranger and stranger these days. :confused:

Yeah I smelled a rat too. Seemed strange the buyer was so eager and keen to come and pay you, even when you hadn't actually said "Oi come with cash NAO or you snooze you lose". He might have just been washing some dirty money and then go pawn the guitar for double the price. Who knows?

I don't think you didn't anything bad in this case. It reminds me of advertising online for subtenants. You get all sorts of abusive rubbish out there. One would message me all vague, another would arrive promptly and after checking their references would offer the room to them, then the first one would message that they were driving and I'd say "the room's taken". I'd cop a heap of abuse because they said they were already on their way, even though I never actually agreed for a time for them to visit, I just said "Yes the room is available" as was true at the time. Seems similar to your case- the guitar was available at the time, the buyer got too keen, then in the meantime your circumstances changed so you closed the sale but they went all mad at you.

My philosophy is to ONLY sell something when you absolutely despise it. You play it and play it and play it and every time you try to like it, you just want to smash it up and set it on fire. THAT is when you sell it. Oh and I learned the hard way- sold a great little practice amp to raise money to buy a crappy modelling amp. Bad move.

If you're short on cash, only sell what you can buy back again easily. If it is sentimental/irreplaceable, then try to find another way to get the money. Anyway I'm glad your house situation worked out,

I just read your original post again and must have read thru it too fast the first time. I missed some of the parts about what a jerk he was being about it with the FB block, etc (my ADD kicking in. LOL) . I agree with everyone else that this guy sounds like a moron, especially if he wasn't willing to discuss anything.

You told him you probably couldn't meet up, and the guy just shows up in town anyway and wants to come get it? Sorry, I would have blocked him with no explanation and not looked back... :LOL: :LOL: Boundaries, people. Boundaries.

And let's be real, for every local guy that shows up, there's usually 10 that claim they're coming and disappear. I've made a 5 hour trip to have a guy "offer" me hundreds less than we agreed on, waited for hours on a Saturday for a guy that emailed every 30 minutes saying he's "almost there" and never show up, and held items for weeks for local guys whose next paycheck apparently never came.

You owed the guy nothing. Forgot him and move on... :thumbsup:

The great news is, you got to keep a guitar you love and have a new house! All is well that ends well!

One of my rules of thumb is, Anyone who sends you a picture of cash saying they're ready to buy now is usually a scumbag and is to be avoided at all costs. IMO, nothing makes you look more shady than flaunting money and acting like I'm in dire straits and need your dough.

Secondly, This whole deal is 100% his fault. You told him you couldn't meet Saturday. He shows up in the area trying to be a pushy buyer and make the deal happen, and you tell him it's still not going to happen. Nothing about that falls back on you. The guy just sounds like a pushy dipshit. I also believe you dodged a bullet there.

romanianreaper":3zvouy6p said:
Oblivion DC":3zvouy6p said:
Let me get this straight: This is just some rando that saw your ad and communicated with you on FaceBook? You then changed your mind about selling and he got mad and flounced out of the room and then when you tried to explain and apologize he blocked you like an angry teen girl?? Ha! Drink a beer and post a video playing your much loved guitar in your new house. Fuck that dick!

Don't listen to Oblivion DC. I used to live in the Northern Virginia, D.C. area and his post is being fueled by traffic and high housing costs....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
And the flu. Don't forget to mention that I have the flu!! But still... fuck that guy!

Oblivion DC":1r7wt05w said:
romanianreaper":1r7wt05w said:
Oblivion DC":1r7wt05w said:
Let me get this straight: This is just some rando that saw your ad and communicated with you on FaceBook? You then changed your mind about selling and he got mad and flounced out of the room and then when you tried to explain and apologize he blocked you like an angry teen girl?? Ha! Drink a beer and post a video playing your much loved guitar in your new house. Fuck that dick!

Don't listen to Oblivion DC. I used to live in the Northern Virginia, D.C. area and his post is being fueled by traffic and high housing costs....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
And the flu. Don't forget to mention that I have the flu!! But still... fuck that guy!

Oh crap!!! :D Yeah, I was there four years and I swear it aged me. LOL! I really like that area and have friends and family there but everytime someone tells me "oh, there was traffic", I'm like get the hell out of here with that crap. You don't know what traffic is until you are in D.C. and moving backwards.

Back