Bogner Helios is fine

Took it to a tech today who was kind enough to let me bring my guitar, boost, and head to play on their bench. I was getting the raspy fuzz sound when I'd boost it, but couldn't make it fizzle out(volume cut out) as I'd described before.

He threw it on the scope, Power and Preamp section checked out with no irregularities and he kept pointing to my guitar and pedal as the potential culprits. Guitar wiring checked out. On to the pedal. We could get it to get fuzzy boosting the amp, then he decided to mess with the pedal power supply... bingo. The same volume cutout and fuzz out I was experiencing at home.

In short, when I run EMG's or boost the front end, and roll the amp gain back in 80s Hot mode, it is a weird almost fuzz pedal like tone. But by their best tests without pulling the chassis, and now confirmed at home, the amp seems fine, my power supply connection for my pedal needs some attention.

I feel like an ass, but am glad they could sort it so quickly, and I'm grateful for everyone that chimed in.

Can’t count the times I told guys to bring their guitar(s) & pedal boards to find the issue was a pedal or patch cord.

Glad to hear it’s not the amp.

David

Glad it’s okay, but like others have said, go back to basics. Guitar, Core and amp and work from there. Chalk it up as a learning experience. :LOL: :LOL:

You never eliminated everything from the chain and just plugged straight into the amp with nothing else? I agree with you are ass. Just kidding Bro. Glad it's fixed. :cheers:

I definitely isolated it, just thought I started hearing something in the tone that was exacerbated by the pedal. So I thought it was boost related as I only noticed it with the emg loaded guitar and or boost.

This is my first time really working with a Marshall voiced type circuit and I’m finally beginning to use less and less gain. Hearing some other folks clips, more and more I’m thinking I have no idea how to dial in a tone. Back to the basics :cheers:

Nice.

Yeah, when you trouble shoot stuff like this you NEED to eliminate all the pedals. Unplug them. Run straight into the amp. I thought you said you did that and still had problems? Either way, at least now you know :)

FourT6and2":219smn3n said:
Nice.

Yeah, when you trouble shoot stuff like this you NEED to eliminate all the pedals. Unplug them. Run straight into the amp. I thought you said you did that and still had problems? Either way, at least now you know :)

I plugged straight in with a few guitars/cables. My passive humbucker guitar sounded fine, my EMG loaded guitar (mild input boost) sounded like a fuzz box on the low frequencies when I rolled the amp gain back. It was worse with the pedal (major input boost). So I thought hitting the front of the amp was creating issues within the amp itself, as I didn't hear these tones when testing with two completely separate amps.

When I get home today I'll try to get a quick audio clip up to describe what I mean. It may just be a bi-product of the amp circuit. I may just be crazy lol

Ok, half of this stuff I post for posterity because I've learned so much from amp threads, so sorry I keep dragging this out.

The Helios is perfectly fine. The raspy fuzzy tones I'm describing are happening naturally when I have it in Hot 80s mode and I turn the gain knob way down on the amp. Just the way its wired i guess. And it was all exagerated by any type of front end boost. The boost pedal power supply was an unfortunate coincidence.

I got to happily play it for an hour or so here, it sounds as killer as ever, and I've learned to keep the gain past 12 o' clock in this mode. Thanks ya'll!

Back