Grammys

chadprsman

Is it me, or does it seem like the Grammys are a little more musical? Seems like there is some actual "talent" on display. I've seen some years that were maybe 50/50? It is early...

all the big hip hop guys (Drake, Travis Scott, Kayne west, etc) all turned down requests to perform. :LOL: :LOL:

so if you saw more performers with actual instruments in their hands, it may have just been a coincidence.

Whilst it was mandatory viewing for me back in the day, I don't think I've watched a single ceremony this century.

Says what I think of where modern pop has headed and the talent on offer. :bleh:

Monkey Man":85nnet3c said:
Whilst it was mandatory viewing for me back in the day, I don't think I've watched a single ceremony this century.

Says what I think of where modern pop has headed and the talent on offer. :bleh:

Yeah, I thought the Grammys were important back in the day too. My opinion changed when Metallica and Jethro Tull were both up for the first Hard Rock/Heavy Metal award in 1989. Since then I've made it a point to never watch it again.

Oblivion DC":2ndvgm5w said:
Monkey Man":2ndvgm5w said:

Yeah, I thought the Grammys were important back in the day too. My opinion changed when Metallica and Jethro Tull were both up for the first Hard Rock/Heavy Metal award in 1989. Since then I've made it a point to never watch it again.
I always thought the award shows were a joke and the Metallica/Tull thing just cemented my opinion. Don't get me wrong I always loved Tull, but it's hardly their fault. That's also when I lost all respect for Metallica. Instead of laughing it off they took it way too seriously and came out looking like major douche bags. Especially Lars. :LOL: :LOL:

The Janelle Monae performance was sick.

In general... The awards they present on the live live show should probably give you a good idea of what audiences they’re trying to appeal to. They don’t even give out any rock awards live on the show. On the live broad cast they give out two rap awards, one country, one r&b, and two (I think) pop right? Then overall song, record, album? On top of that the rap / hip hop world seems pretty fed up with the grammy’s as well, a lot of people declined to perform or just didn’t even show up.

Inearthed":4io4kbuj said:

Hey was that the girl that was doing the guitar solos and having the audience repeat back the little riffs she was playing? If so, that girl was awesome. It was refreshing to see two different girls playing guitars.

That was H.E.R. (stage name). She was great- Janelle Monae was the one dancing in the black and white outfit and playing a little guitar at the beginning. Both great performances. Other than that, pretty underwhelming.

romanianreaper":2f5doeis said:
Inearthed":2f5doeis said:

Hey was that the girl that was doing the guitar solos and having the audience repeat back the little riffs she was playing? If so, that girl was awesome. It was refreshing to see two different girls playing guitars.

overthemountain":25kk6z51 said:
That was H.E.R. (stage name). She was great- Janelle Monae was the one dancing in the black and white outfit and playing a little guitar at the beginning. Both great performances. Other than that, pretty underwhelming.

romanianreaper":25kk6z51 said:
Inearthed":25kk6z51 said:

Thanks!

chadprsman":1a3gfwgy said:
Is it me, or does it seem like the Grammys are a little more musical? Seems like there is some actual "talent" on display. I've seen some years that were maybe 50/50? It is early...

Man, I don’t think I’ve watched an awards show since I as a little boy back in the 70’s/early 80’s...not even sure if the Grammys are for music or movies. After reading this thread I’ve gathered they’re for music, but learn something every day.

Well, they used to be for music.

These days they'll hand 'em out for just about anything from what I can tell... :doh:

Back