Changed my Gibson Explorer up. Thoughts?

Thanks guys! I'm loving the looks and love the way this guitar plays and sounds. It just has that "it" tonally.

Think I might just leave it as is for now. I personally think it is unique and that is what I was going for looks wise.

8AC31e5.jpg

Can't seem to get a good pic that shows the chrome tailpiece studs but the studs are stock chrome with the brass tailpiece. In person the contrast is much better personally. Lighting issues seem to always be my problem. The pickguard is much more rusted also. :D

jlb32":1onhzfkz said:
Thoughts? Would you leave the 3 knobs or go with a 3-way toggle, volume, tone setup? I like a tone control. Use it alot so I really do not want volume, volume.

A three way switch could look cool, and keep the general vibe.

W2PpLb.jpg

Nitrobattery":3hlly7et said:
jlb32":3hlly7et said:
Thoughts? Would you leave the 3 knobs or go with a 3-way toggle, volume, tone setup? I like a tone control. Use it alot so I really do not want volume, volume.

A three way switch could look cool, and keep the general vibe.

I agree. When I first installed the pickguard I had planned on making it a Hetfield "Rusty" replica but decided I wanted to try and go different. Think i will leave the push/pull/3 knob layout for now.

swamptrashstompboxes":2j4tbn4d said:
i think it could look a little bit better with more patina on the pickguard.

There is alot more patina on the pickguard than the pictures show. Just hard to photograph. It's pretty rusted up.

jlb32":hnaq0y8i said:
swamptrashstompboxes":hnaq0y8i said:
i think it could look a little bit better with more patina on the pickguard.

There is alot more patina on the pickguard than the pictures show. Just hard to photograph. It's pretty rusted up.

Awesome. It looks hella good even in photos.

fusedbrain":2em45h7a said:
I think the pick guard and the knobs look fantastic.
I have no opinion on the bridge / tailpiece other than the fact that they don't match kinda bothers me.
I think they need to be the same finish, but I don't think it matters whether they match the brass knobs & the rusted pick guard.
That pick guard on the black finish is :rock:

I was going to say the exact same thing, so I'll let you say it instead....and just say I agree completely. A possibility could also be a matching black tailpiece and bridge....but I agree they need to match. Overall the guitar looks incredible. :rock:

jtees4":lafrx9ux said:
fusedbrain":lafrx9ux said:
I think the pick guard and the knobs look fantastic.
I have no opinion on the bridge / tailpiece other than the fact that they don't match kinda bothers me.
I think they need to be the same finish, but I don't think it matters whether they match the brass knobs & the rusted pick guard.
That pick guard on the black finish is :rock:

I was going to say the exact same thing, so I'll let you say it instead....and just say I agree completely. A possibility could also be a matching black tailpiece and bridge....but I agree they need to match. Overall the guitar looks incredible. :rock:

Thanks! For me the mismatch is the unique part I am going for. Pretty much every guitar made has matching hardware. The mismatch for me is the unique part and what I am personally looking for.

The raw brass tailpiece and knobs have aged a lot from playing already. I am surprised they have aged so quickly but I guess them being raw brass and my sweat has caused it.

7Kv7vym.jpg

Man I am being SUPER weird here BUT... if you could get some buckers with aged gold pole pieces that thing would be just insane! I already love it as is.

JerEvil":2bfaktql said:
Man I am being SUPER weird here BUT... if you could get some buckers with aged gold pole pieces that thing would be just insane! I already love it as is.

Thanks! I have thought about the pickups and a few different other things but don't want to go to one directional with it. Still considering things though!

The raw brass aging so fast has surprised me but for me it adds to the overall look I was going for.

Back