Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Mesa/Boogie Mark V

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Peavey Triple XXX

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Marshall 8100

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
You’re asking for a single amp to do a range of “thrash” and “heavy metal” tones. Seems like what you need is a good modeler unless you’re willing to find a good tone in your price range and stick with it, and there’s absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Metalmann13":323xx4ge said:
the4thlast1":323xx4ge said:
5152/6505+ will def do what you want , especially boosted with a 808 type pedal . They can be had cheap and I would prefer it over A Recto and a MarkV having owned all 3 the peavey just sounds right to me and is easy to dial in where the Mesa stuff is much more picky when it comes to pickups and speakers. Mark V was a big let down for me if you must go Mesa I would go with a Mark III in that price price range of $900 you mentioned. However once again the peavey is just flat out better for me, it cuts better in a live mix too and you can easily switch to a nice clean tone which is not as easy with the MK III .
I have been looking at the triple xxx and the 6505+, which do you think would be better for old Metallica tone?

either dude, just gotta remember with both of those to roll back the gain, and get the chunk the hard earned way. the recorded tones are highly regarded(like most legacy tones), because of the popularity, and the originality of the material. if you play it right it will sound right homey.

Metalmann13":2xv43a7l said:
the4thlast1":2xv43a7l said:
5152/6505+ will def do what you want , especially boosted with a 808 type pedal . They can be had cheap and I would prefer it over A Recto and a MarkV having owned all 3 the peavey just sounds right to me and is easy to dial in where the Mesa stuff is much more picky when it comes to pickups and speakers. Mark V was a big let down for me if you must go Mesa I would go with a Mark III in that price price range of $900 you mentioned. However once again the peavey is just flat out better for me, it cuts better in a live mix too and you can easily switch to a nice clean tone which is not as easy with the MK III .
I have been looking at the triple xxx and the 6505+, which do you think would be better for old Metallica tone?

Out of any peavey amp my vote is gonna be 6505+ , it just sounds right. Good clarity , tight bass , strong mids to cut through. I've owned too many amps to list, amps that cost 3-4x the price of a 6505+, for all styles of metal it kicks most amps ass IMO.

There is a reason why most recording engineers that cater to metal stick with the 5150 amps, they kill for the styles we are talking about. So yeah , thrash , metallica stuff, modern metal , old school and even extreme metal it can do all that stuff. Triple XXX isnt bad but it doesnt sit in the right pocket like the 6505+ does, XXX has a wider frequency range that can get out of control and not as defined and not centered in the right midrange. Thats my opinion , others might disagree because they need to clean out there ears , haha just joking nobody freak out :bleh:

rottingcorpse":a8m65cai said:
Cheapest....Peavey XXX. Think Gary Holt/Exodus tone and boost the front with mids for that razor cut. A graphic eq and Decimator in the loop for final tone shaping and silencing the hiss. Holts tone cuts thru any mix,and harmonics jump off your fretboard like pubic lice from a 60's era bush set on fire. Pure thrash. Use the extra bux saved for good tubes.

Fuck the clean tone.
Yep,I agree..I had one last year and miss it a lot.

On a side note, a used Peters FSM or Gryphon can get thrashy tones, and they can be had for a decent amount lately. Sure love mine and we play Slayer,Exodus, old Metallica..

Kinda suprised the poll choices didn't included choices like a JCM800 + tubescreamer, or JCM 900... To me, those deliver that old school Thrash (Sepultura, Anthrax, Slayer, etc.).

LCW":1b6dm70w said:
Kinda suprised the poll choices didn't included choices like a JCM800 + tubescreamer, or JCM 900... To me, those deliver that old school Thrash (Sepultura, Anthrax, Slayer, etc.).
I have a AVT150H Valvestate and that kinda ruined Marshall for me.

I used to have strong opinions about this, until I picked up a 6505+ with OEM foot switch and cable for $400. Unbelievable thrash tones. Amazing amp for the price.

My mom bought me the 8100 half stack when I was 15 or 16 when they first came out. I think they were only like 500 for the head and 450 for the cab. That was a lot of amp for the price back then.

I see that a surprising amount; people buying the AVT thinking they're gonna sound like Death, and then get confused when it sounds like shit. The 8100 is probably the best low cost amp Marshall ever made. It's a great amp on the cheap, but IMO the 6505 and XXX are still worth checking out first.

ClintN667":y1ulpgtg said:
My mom bought me the 8100 half stack when I was 15 or 16 when they first came out. I think they were only like 500 for the head and 450 for the cab. That was a lot of amp for the price back then.

Wow! Were these heads that expensive new? I grabbed this one not too long ago, and it absolutely kills. Best $200 I've ever spent.

thrashinbatman":y1ulpgtg said:
I see that a surprising amount; people buying the AVT thinking they're gonna sound like Death, and then get confused when it sounds like shit. The 8100 is probably the best low cost amp Marshall ever made. It's a great amp on the cheap, but IMO the 6505 and XXX are still worth checking out first.

The 6505 and XXX are indeed BADASS :thumbsup: But I have to say this little beater 8100 holds it's own against every amp I've ever owned and currently own, and that list includes many many heavy hitters. Won't make me sell the Wizard, but tell ya what...that little Marshall fuckin brings it! One of the few amps I've owned that doesn't "need" a clean boost; tight as hell straight in. Like almost Engl Savage tight!

Metalmann13":4bhznkgr said:
LCW":4bhznkgr said:
I have a AVT150H Valvestate and that kinda ruined Marshall for me.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Dude, if you are gonna judge Marshall off of a middle school amp like that, that's clownshow stuff. That amp is a PRACTICE amp at BEST.
Get yourself a man's Marshall with a tube power section..800, 900, whatever. AVT is a playtoy.

Back