Amp Modeler Advice

Seriously, if you just want to play, and mostly at home..
Get a Mooer micro preamp and a couple of effects.
Hell, get two preamps. You'll still have spent less than on an Amplifire.

My honest opinion is that if one "needs" more than four amp channels, you either play in a top 40 cover band, or U2.. :D

But I can see why someone who likes tweaking gets one of the big boys.

snowdog":7jc289vm said:
buy a good tube amp and be done with it
I have and have had several "good" tube amps. From Bogner to VHT. I well aware of the upsides of tube amps. The post isn't about tube amps vs. modelers but thanks for your input.

Findthetone1":iex3mbfk said:
snowdog":iex3mbfk said:
I have and have had several "good" tube amps. From Bogner to VHT. I well aware of the upsides of tube amps. The post isn't about tube amps vs. modelers but thanks for your input.
Amen—not every tool is best for every situation. I have 7 ‘good tube amps’—you know how many of them sound or feel HALF as good as a Helix or an AXE at the volumes I need to play at home? None.

And as far as the ‘it’s only for playing at home, it doesn’t matter how you sound’ crowd...screw that noise. I much prefer to have tone that is inspiring, no matter what the situation is. These new modelers allow for that.

I moved to the Helix LT camp after having Axe Fx2, and trying out the Headrush. I went Helix LT because it sounds great, and has everything on the floor system. Fractal was cool too, but too much crap to lug around extra. Cabling, rack, conditioner, and then extra stuff for the controller. AX8 was an option for me, but I discovered the DSP very limiting.

SW offered me a good price on Helix LT too. $829

tallcoolone":czq2ide1 said:
Findthetone1":czq2ide1 said:
snowdog":czq2ide1 said:
Amen—not every tool is best for every situation. I have 7 ‘good tube amps’—you know how many of them sound or feel HALF as good as a Helix or an AXE at the volumes I need to play at home? None.

And as far as the ‘it’s only for playing at home, it doesn’t matter how you sound’ crowd...screw that noise. I much prefer to have tone that is inspiring, no matter what the situation is. These new modelers allow for that.
I couldn't have said it better.

I'll throw my 2 cents in. I recently picked up the Headrush Gig board. I have also tried out the Helix LT and was originally going to go for that. The Headrush was easier for me to get a good sound going into headphones which was a plus for me. The Helix was initially better for me running into a power amp and my 212 cab. Headrush took a little more tweaking of output levels etc and not all the models work that well with my crappy 212, but when they do, it's really good. The Helix has a lot more routing options as well as more amps and effects but the Headrush is quite a bit simpler to operate.

For me, it came down to size, interface, features and price. The LT definitely would have done the job for me but it's a lot more money. The Helix stomp was just slightly too limited for some of the things I wanted to do with it.

Before I started researching the current batch of modellers, I thought the Headrush wasn't going to sound as good as the Helix, but really, you can't go wrong with either one and they are both dramatically better than the options we've had in the past

bias mini. had a friend go from his usual 5150II rig and it sounds killer. tweak if ya want or just grab a model and go.

The Overloud THU with amp-rig capture just dropped.

The Slate version will be out soon and is included in the everything bundle.

I LOVE my Helix units. As easy as dialing in an amp and pedals. No option paralysis unless you bring it with you.

Findthetone1":3hjbh9ge said:
snowdog":3hjbh9ge said:

Get a Fryette GPDI and a 1x8, 1x10 or 1x12 to play it through. When you change styles, flip a switch and twist a couple knobs. Done.

If you’re prone to tone fickleness then a good modeler will send you down a path of endless tweaking and of course analog amps will satisfy only for a short time until you’re looking for something better.

There are so many good choices out there nowadays. The trick is to find something you dig, get it dialed in and then stop dissecting your tone and focus on the music.

I have been a Fractal Axe-FX II owner since 2012 and love it. I haven't bought another amp since I got that thing.

With that said, every time I go to Guitar Center to try out a guitar, I plug into the BOSS Katana. I think it is a great little amp and has some great tones in there. If I didn't have the Fractal and wasn't involved in recordings, etc., I'd probably just have a little tube amp or solid state combo, etc. Like Bob said, just to be able to play.

I love my Axe-Fx II but I don't tweak settings like I used to. I have a few go to high gain amps (Friedman, Cameron) and some clean sounds (Fender) and that is about it. It is nice to have the option to play other types, etc. but I'd much rather have a few modeled amps that sound great. Everyone is different, but for me the Fractal kept my amp G.A.S. at bay for years. I spent too much time going thru "phases" in my guitar playing and would sell one amp to get another....only to miss that type and buy it later.

Back