Ceriatone Chupacabra Players: Noisy?

Bad.Seed":10xh1upg said:
FourT6and2":10xh1upg said:
Bad.Seed":10xh1upg said:
racerevlon":10xh1upg said:
I have a Chupa 50. No more noise than any other amp. Give your tubes the chopstick test for microphonics.

That was the first thing I tried, and I didn't get anything through the speakers with the volume turned up quite loud.

I may just send my tech to this thread and hand the amp over to him. I love this amp, but can't use it with any of my guitars with covered pickups, it just seems to be way to quick to feed back.

How are you EQ'ing the amp? Are you running the thing with all the bright switches engaged at once?

If my memory serves me right, both bright switches are flipped left, in 80's mode. One of the gain pots is up 3/4 of the way, the other is at noon and pulled out. The pussy trim is at 1 oclock or so, BMT is 6-6-3

There's your problem. The bright switches are large value caps. 4700pF each. With both engaged you're going to get a lot of hiss... They boost the gain in those upper mid and treble frequencies. Ceriatone really shouldn't have given users the option to run both simultaneously. They did it a little better in the Yeti since they cut the value of those caps in half. So you can run both at the same time to equal the same value as just one on the Chupa.

You shouldn't need to run two bright caps. Try this to see if it reduces your noise issues but keeps the same amount of gain/feel:

Gain 1: Pulled out, 1:30 - 2:45
Bright 1: Center (off)
Gain 2: 11:00 or so
Bright 2: Left (mid boost)
Pussy trim: 100%
B/M/T/P/D to taste

The key here is to only use one bright switch and run its corresponding gain below 12:00. As you turn up the gain control, its bright switch has less and less of an effect. Then you run the other gain control higher to compensate. Think of it in terms of a "dark" gain and a "bright" gain instead of Gain 1 and Gain 2.

FourT6and2":2xp2efdb said:
Bad.Seed":2xp2efdb said:
FourT6and2":2xp2efdb said:
Bad.Seed":2xp2efdb said:
racerevlon":2xp2efdb said:
I have a Chupa 50. No more noise than any other amp. Give your tubes the chopstick test for microphonics.

That was the first thing I tried, and I didn't get anything through the speakers with the volume turned up quite loud.

I may just send my tech to this thread and hand the amp over to him. I love this amp, but can't use it with any of my guitars with covered pickups, it just seems to be way to quick to feed back.

How are you EQ'ing the amp? Are you running the thing with all the bright switches engaged at once?

If my memory serves me right, both bright switches are flipped left, in 80's mode. One of the gain pots is up 3/4 of the way, the other is at noon and pulled out. The pussy trim is at 1 oclock or so, BMT is 6-6-3

There's your problem. The bright switches are large value caps. 4700pF each. With both engaged you're going to get a lot of hiss... They boost the gain in those upper mid and treble frequencies. Ceriatone really shouldn't have given users the option to run both simultaneously. They did it a little better in the Yeti since they cut the value of those caps in half. So you can run both at the same time to equal the same value as just one on the Chupa.

You shouldn't need to run two bright caps. Try this to see if it reduces your noise issues but keeps the same amount of gain/feel:

Gain 1: Pulled out, 1:30 - 2:45
Bright 1: Center (off)
Gain 2: 11:00 or so
Bright 2: Left (mid boost)
Pussy trim: 100%
B/M/T/P/D to taste

The key here is to only use one bright switch and run its corresponding gain below 12:00. As you turn up the gain control, its bright switch has less and less of an effect. Then you run the other gain control higher to compensate. Think of it in terms of a "dark" gain and a "bright" gain instead of Gain 1 and Gain 2.

I'll certainly give it a shot. May have time tonight to mess with it real quick.

Bad.Seed":30piy9i0 said:
napalmdeath":30piy9i0 said:
It's a noisy amp, period. I had the Yeti, and it has a shit-load of gain. There will be noise. Buy a noise gate - problem solved.

You have 35 amps in your sig. Never invested in a noise gate?

Dude, Not sure why you insist on the snarky comments. You're assuming I don't own a noise gate in a dickish manner. Why do you feel the need to reply like that? You do it quite often and honestly you come off pretty douchey.

I understand high gain amps are noisy. As my sig that you referenced implies, I'm well versed in them. Yes, I own and use multiple noise gates. The reason for this thread is that the Chupacabra has an EXCESSIVE amount of noise compared to all of the other amps that I own or have owned, and I could not fix the issue with tube swaps.

46And2 provided good info. Thanks for adding your 2 cents.

I'm just saying, have you tried a noise gate? Nowhere have you mentioned this. Sorry to come across as "douchey", but, damn. "My high gain amp is noisy" is, well, to be expected. It wasn't my intention to be snarky, but listing a gazillion amps in your sig, (many of which are pretty high end that take up half a page), then coming off like a rookie, well..... Nevermind..

napalmdeath":2n42n0x2 said:
Bad.Seed":2n42n0x2 said:
napalmdeath":2n42n0x2 said:
It's a noisy amp, period. I had the Yeti, and it has a shit-load of gain. There will be noise. Buy a noise gate - problem solved.

You have 35 amps in your sig. Never invested in a noise gate?

Dude, Not sure why you insist on the snarky comments. You're assuming I don't own a noise gate in a dickish manner. Why do you feel the need to reply like that? You do it quite often and honestly you come off pretty douchey.

I understand high gain amps are noisy. As my sig that you referenced implies, I'm well versed in them. Yes, I own and use multiple noise gates. The reason for this thread is that the Chupacabra has an EXCESSIVE amount of noise compared to all of the other amps that I own or have owned, and I could not fix the issue with tube swaps.

46And2 provided good info. Thanks for adding your 2 cents.

I'm just saying, have you tried a noise gate? Nowhere have you mentioned this. Sorry to come across as "douchey", but, damn. "My high gain amp is noisy" is, well, to be expected. It wasn't my intention to be snarky, but listing a gazillion amps in your sig, (many of which are pretty high end that take up half a page), then coming off like a rookie, well..... Nevermind..

That's your interpretation of the situation, and you seem to be alone in your thoughts and remarks. The other info provided was actually helpful. I guess not specifically mentioning I have a noise gate somehow makes me a rookie. Also, you seem to be hung up by me mentioning the amps that I own in my sig. Sounds like bitterness/jealousy.

Did it occur to you that, maybe I would have started a thread about "Noise from all of my amps" if I had this issue with every high gain amp that I own? Nothing popped in your head when I specifically singled out 1 amp out of a large group of high gain amps? Maybe think a little next time. This isn't the first time I've called you out for your snarky remarks when someone was just looking for information. At least this time, you didn't backpedal.

You can throw shade at me all you want, but you just look like a jealous douche. Otherwise, I'm asking legitimate questions, looking for legitimate answers. I don't assume I know everything because I'm fortunate enough to own a bunch of high end gear, hence, me looking for information.

Back