Renegade 12v power - F2 blew, then F1

astrodon

My Renegade blew the F2 fuse yesterday. After I replaced F2, it then blew 2 fuses in F1. So I am pretty sure I have an issue with my 12v power on the preamp (no preamp heaters and no LED's light up).

Some additional info:

• Power section seem fine. All tubes light up and signal into the effects return comes out the speakers.
    F1 blew even with QC1, QC2 and QC3 disconnected from the preamp board.
    The LED's do light up for 2 or 3 seconds before the fuse "slow blows".

Things I have thought about trying:

• Could a shorted preamp tube do this?
    The bridge rectifier - how would I test this?
    The 2N3055 transistor. The schematic says it is hand wired/chassis mounted, but where is it?

I only have 3 more fuses left, so any advice or info on how to troubleshoot or fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Don

Ok, I pulled all of the preamp tubes and the phase inverter and when I powered it up it blew F2 again. F1 was fine this time. I've ordered more fuses, but is there a better way to test this? Should I rig up a dimmer switch on a power cord and try to trace the voltages or track down the problem that way? Any tips on how to test the Bridge Rectifier? How about the 2N3055 transistor? Any other ideas on where to start?

I sure would like to figure this out myself. I've modded and repaired other amps of my own, but this is the most difficult diy job I've encountered in my illustrious career.

Also, I've tried contacting Nate at Egnater, but no response so far. As a last resort, can anyone recommend any repair shops near Kalamazoo or Grand Rapids Michigan?

Thanks,
Don

Ok, It appears that C1 is toast. I didn't notice the slight bulging at the top, but as I was testing the bridge rectifier and removing the various 12v connectors, I noticed severe bulging/lifting/leaking at the bottom of C1.

It is a 10000uF 35V on the board even though the schematic says 25V. I assume I should replace it with a 35V as is on there, but I don't know where to buy good quality capacitors. Should I just grab one off of amazon?

Can anyone suggest a good source of quality capacitors?

Thanks,
Don

Hey Don I seem to be having the same problem problem with an egnator renegade head I just bought. Did you happen to figure out the issue you were having?

Same problem here! I removed the power supply and was still blowing fuses. I replaced cap 1 and was able to power up without blowing fuses. Also my fan and led were on. However when I reinstalled the power supply into the amp I started blowing fuses again! I disconnected everything from the power supply again and started restoring the circuit connection by connection until I thought I isolated the problem to the green wire at connection 8. I disconnected it and powered up the amp, no immediate blow but when I plugged in my guitar to the input, it blew! I'm at a total loss at this point.

I am having the same problem with my Renegade. Just dropped it off at a repair shop. I'll keep you updated.

Back