any experience with Mcnaught guitars?

splatter

I'm considering selling a few things and ordering a McNaught X5 (the explorer shape).
I've heard nothing but good things about his guitars and I was wondering if anyone here has any
experience with them.
You know $3500 is a lot for the base price on a guitar, at least for me it is. I'm super happy with my Kiesel Cs6 that I had built and it was only $2200.
I'm not trying to compare Kiesel and McNaught I'm just saying are his guitars worth the extra $?

Thanks

I currently own my 5th McNaught, and have never been disappointed! I’ve always bought used so can’t speak to the ordering process. IMO one of the best built guitars.

I've owned 5 in the past 10 yrs. I currently have 2 of his newer neck joint VSCs and thought about trying to get one of my old ones back :). He builds an overall great guitar! I too have bought used or already made and at a dealer, so don't know much about the ordering process. Dave has always responded promptly on Facebook when I've had questions about his guitars.

Great guitars I have 2, a G5 and a DJ+. I got the G5 used, but custom ordered the DJ+ directly from Dave. He was great to work with, but the guitar did take a long time to be completed (about 2 years). I would go through a dealer next time that already had a build spot lined up. I sold my custom ordered Suhr Modern to pay for the build, never regretted it. When my build was happening he would post pictures of the build on his forum which was cool. Wouldn't hesitate to order another one, and it would be an X-5

Killer axe's
I have 2
Nitrous ,double diamond top with Lynch Bomber graphics and a glow in the dark Rising Sun flag on the 12th fret.
Starr, diamond top with hot rod flamed stained top. too much other custom touches to list.

Attention to detail is Davids claim to fame.

You won't go wrong with David. Top shelf luthier and good people. Just had another VSC delivered. He can get a little backed up at times but won't BS you.

I had a Phoenix years ago, and my buddy currently has four Mcnaughts.Every one of them are/were absolutely amazing. I’m talking like, can’t get much better amazing. The quality and craftsmanship is absolutely jaw dropping. Each one has played, sounded, felt and looked top level. My buddy’s latest one is a custom ordered V, and the whole process from ordering to receiving the finished product exceeded his expectations. IMO Mcnaught is the master. :worship:

I remember drooling over all the crazy McNaughts from the Roman years back when I first got internet in the 90s.

JerEvil":2tk3rowo said:
Man I have WICKED McNaught GAS. Sully Raven is high on the list as well
I would go McNaught over Sully. I had five or six Mcnaughts. Flawless builds with impeccable fretwork. I did not love the Sully.
Just depends what you are looking for. There are many great builders out there as you know.

Marykelly":1s6piz40 said:
I remember drooling over all the crazy McNaughts from the Roman years back when I first got internet in the 90s.
Haha me too. I ended up getting one as a result.

Absolutely great guitars.

When his shoo was in CT I made an appointment and went. It was my first time seeing all those great builders under one roof. It started me on that journey of handbuilt stuff.

No personal experience, but stunning visuals. I know Splawn used some of McNaught's flame top for his headshells. I believe Tony Rombola had one of the first like that.

splatter":3hotxbwy said:
bikerdude2":3hotxbwy said:
Too bad your not looking for a VSC

why are you selling one ?
Yes had it listed then changed my mind. Back to selling it. Currently on the gear page. VSC with a super rare Rosewood Neck. She’s a bad bitch. Probably trading it Saturday so if your interested let me know ASAP!

Back