Tone Vise Pitch Shifter - Move Over D-Tuna??

laneychris":ix0ge6qs said:
I would like to put this on my Wolfgang! I'm a lefty and getting to that DAMN set screw sUx!!

They will fit lefthanded guitars, if you get a let me know you're a lefty.

I have 4 of these on the way for my guitars but it may take a bit to get up here as usual.

Just ordered one.

I recently installed a D-Tuna on my drop C guitar. It actually works perfectly, but it is particular about it's setup. But once dialed in it works as intended. But if the Tone Vise is easier to deal with and set up, I will probably fit the rest of my FR axes with them.

As it is now, I'm bringing 4 guitars to most shows. 2 with trems, 2 stop tail. 1 main of each and one back up. This will save space in my vehicle and my back in the long run. A worthy investment, I think.

Works like a charm. I will be ordering 3 more and waiting for you to make one for the Gotoh for my Suhr.

Metlupass2":xq23ixe1 said:

Works like a charm. I will be ordering 3 more and waiting for you to make one for the Gotoh for my Suhr.

Thank you!
BTW, If your Gotoh is recessed the Ibanez Edge model will work. If not I'll have the Gotohs model out later,

Metlupass2":1ej9pkfm said:

Looks great. Can you give some details? You're the first person to get it installed since the threads started. How well does it drop to D and then back up to E? Do you have to fine tune to pitch when you drop to do and then back up to E? If so, by how much?

Thanks.

I have not had to fine tune to get it. It's pretty spot on.

I'm not using a Peterson strobe Tuner, just my Kemper and my ears.

Yes my gotoh is recessed. I just ordered another 3 from you that you already shipped. I'll have to purchase one more for the Gotoh

well, got mine and I'm not too happy with it. This is supposed to be the version for floyd roses.

I don't know if I got the wrong type, but the screw is barely long enough (you only get one), and it's way too finicky to install if it is the right screw. It was literally the difference of 1 or 2 threads for it to either clear the tailpiece, or be stuck under the lip. It took several readjustments to finally find that happy medium where it moved freely. It would either get stuck in the tone vise head, or not have enough travel to lock down the string.

that's not the real problem though. Don't know if you can see from this pic:

7RwtD2L.jpg

the tension springs for the saddle lock screw get pushed against the body when in E mode. It doesn't allow it to fully go into E. This renders it useless.

I realize this is a FR Special, so maybe the tension spring has bigger downward tabs the an OFR.

*edited for stupid heat of the moment hyperbole

You have it installed a little too close to the whale tail, just unscrew it and back it out a turn and re-install.

Yes, the Korean made Floyds have a much different spring than the OFR, sometimes the smaller tab sticks out further. I sometimes will adjust that little tab back just a touch with some needle nose pliers.

BTW, I can send you a longer screw if you like.

napalmdeath":20e9e2ii said:
The D-tuna sucks. Glad to see something that seems better built. Had two Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna and they were a huge pain in the ass that needed constant tweaking, re-adjusting, tweaking, adjusting. Flimsy pieces of shit, if you ask me.

I had a pair of Wolfgangs. Same thing. I removed them, then I had to find a shorter string holding screw so it didn't look dumb. The d-tuna is an engineering fail IMO.

The tone vise looks like a plausable alternative. Cool!

swamptrashstompboxes":p1lax4ei said:
napalmdeath":p1lax4ei said:
The D-tuna sucks. Glad to see something that seems better built. Had two Wolfgangs with the D-Tuna and they were a huge pain in the ass that needed constant tweaking, re-adjusting, tweaking, adjusting. Flimsy pieces of shit, if you ask me.

I had a pair of Wolfgangs. Same thing. I removed them, then I had to find a shorter string holding screw so it didn't look dumb. The d-tuna is an engineering fail IMO.

The tone vise looks like a plausable alternative. Cool!

I have 7 Wolfgangs, well 5 and 2 EBMM EVH. They all have a D Tuna and they all work perfectly.

I even have some on my Ibanez Edge trems and they work great.

How come you can't get one to work?

Tone Vise":d2akrreg said:
You have it installed a little too close to the whale tail, just unscrew it and back it out a turn and re-install.

Yes, the Korean made Floyds have a much different spring than the OFR, sometimes the smaller tab sticks out further. I sometimes will adjust that little tab back just a touch with some needle nose pliers.

BTW, I can send you a longer screw if you like.

Thank you very much for standing behind your product.That means more to me than you may think.

I know I had it installed a little too close, but it's right where it barely clears the tail, and still locks the string down. I will PM you shortly.

Riggins1966":3f7pdmj8 said:
well, got mine and I'm not too happy with it. This is supposed to be the version for floyd roses.

I don't know if I got the wrong type, but the screw is barely long enough (you only get one), and it's way too finicky to install if it is the right screw. It was literally the difference of 1 or 2 threads for it to either clear the tailpiece, or be stuck under the lip. It took several readjustments to finally find that happy medium where it moved freely. It would either get stuck in the tone vise head, or not have enough travel to lock down the string.

7RwtD2L.jpg

the tension springs for the saddle lock screw get pushed against the body when in E mode. It doesn't allow it to fully go into E. This renders it useless.

I realize this is a FR Special, so maybe the tension spring has bigger downward tabs the an OFR.

I just put one on and it works. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it is not supposed to go between the spring and the bottom of the fine tune screw. I have mine between the spring and the bottom of the whale tale.

I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

Attachments

• 1D52B1BB-2794-41A5-BCD4-CD57290F2BDC.jpeg
    1D52B1BB-2794-41A5-BCD4-CD57290F2BDC.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 1,016
Stramm8":v8ohgleb said:
Riggins1966":v8ohgleb said:

7RwtD2L.jpg

I just put one on and it works. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe it is not supposed to go between the spring and the bottom of the fine tune screw. I have mine between the spring and the bottom of the whale tale.

Correct, but the screw wasn't long enough to lock the string, and still protrude far enough past the tail.

Mark is an absolute straight shooter though, and is correcting this by shooting me a longer screw to accommodate that. The tension spring is on me, I will either adjust it with a pair or needle-nose pliers, or drop on a spring with shorter tabs (that I do have).

All in all, I will admit that I've never used these things (of any kind) before and I know I had some faults installing it. I do think it goes much easier on a FR with the cavity route, though. The guitar I'm putting it on is a flush mount trem (Jackson Adrian Smith sig.)

Stramm8":2t6r59xp said:
I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

looks like your bridge has a bit more clearance from the body than Mine does. That certainly helps a lot.

Back