Best Boost for Tightening Up An Amp

When I had my Uber my favorite boost was the SD 805. The three band EQ really lets you tailor the sound. I didn’t have the Savage Overdrive at the same time to compare but imagine it would have been killer with the Uber.

Buxom Boost worked great for my Splawn Nitro which was fairly tight to begin with. OD808 is always a solid choice and one pedal I keep buying, selling then buying again. I have a Savage drive now that I really like but it can get extreme so its best to use it sparringly. I just got a Ryra the Klone which I'm really digging but I wouldnt say its tightening the tone as just adding a little bit of dirt and signal boost.

Used to run an old Boss OD-1 out front of a 1978 Mark I Boogie. The Mark I is severely bass heavy, and that pedal set with the Level maxed and Drive to taste tightened things up nicely. That was 30 years ago, and I did not know what I was doing, but it worked very well. Plenty of tone shaping left with the GEQ and such on that amp though. :rock:

jc986":oiwic9ur said:
When I had my Uber my favorite boost was the SD 805. The three band EQ really lets you tailor the sound. I didn’t have the Savage Overdrive at the same time to compare but imagine it would have been killer with the Uber.

The SD 805 sounds GREAT with the Uber Rev Blue I have.

The Ts9 sounds AWESOME with it too. More open compared to the 805 which is good since the Uber is already very saturated. Also reigns in the low end nicely.

The Timmy also sounds good with the Uber.

Savage Drive can also sound good with it but is a bit more finicky with that amp IMO.

Just grabbed a Buxom boost and tried it with the Uber last night real quick and it sounded ok, My initial impression was that the Buxom adds too much saturation to an already awesomely saturated amp. That was just a quick and dirty run with it however, so I do need to play around with it some more.

I think my go to with that amp so far is still the Ts9 followed by the 805.

warhead78":haxq3vpa said:
I absolutely love the Cusack screamer. It's one of the few pedals that makes everything sound better without overly altering the character of the amp.

I agree. Great pedal. :rock:

I'd say a regular TS9. Try out a few different ones, they seem to sound different based on the year of manufacture, based on my experience.

I like the Screamer but you cannot get much better for tightening and shaping than the VFE Standout once you get through the learning curve.

The Standout seems very cool. At least in theory it really should just tighten the amp in a transparent way.

I think it’s a clean boost (no mid hump or added EQ, just boosts the level of the incoming signal) but with adjustable high and low pass filters?

That way you can push amp’s input if you want, but also use the high pass cut the sub-low end that is making the amp seem loose (and cut some hairy/fizzy high end too with the low pass).

So it’s not like an overdrive pedal that imposes it’s own EQ and cuts low end because of capacitors and what not in the OD circuit block the low end from getting through.

Back