Tone Vise Pitch Shifter - Move Over D-Tuna??

Stramm8":26i8rsst said:
I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

So when the PS is in the E position, you cannot fine tune the E at all? And if you do need to fine tune the E, you then have to unlock the nut?

Junk Yard Dog":9yw03yd8 said:
Stramm8":9yw03yd8 said:
I just installed it and it appears to be working as advertised. For me, the biggest drawback is not being able to use the fine tuner in the lock (E) position. And buying one of those clamps isn’t really a solution. I’d like to see a revised version of the tone vise where the protrusion does slide between the fine tuner screw and the spring (like) the d-tuna so adjustments can be made in either mode. Just my two cents.

So when the PS is in the E position, you cannot fine tune the E at all? And if you do need to fine tune the E, you then have to unlock the nut?

That is correct. You have to zoom in on this pic to see that the fine tuner screw does not come in contact with the saddle screw while in the E position. If you screwed the fine tuner down low enough to push the screw down to tune it sharper, it would totally throw the D position out. So at that point you might as well just not use it. I bought one before I understood how it worked but figured what the hell?? I mean it works but time will tell if it’s practical.

Attachments

• B33A1540-CA52-4CE7-8BA4-6D9D0FE4735C.jpeg
    B33A1540-CA52-4CE7-8BA4-6D9D0FE4735C.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 905
Stramm8":3v2phje6 said:
That is correct. You have to zoom in on this pic to see that the fine tuner screw does not come in contact with the saddle screw while in the E position. If you screwed the fine tuner down low enough to push the screw down to tune it sharper, it would totally throw the D position out. So at that point you might as well just not use it. I bought one before I understood how it worked but figured what the hell?? I mean it works but time will tell if it’s practical.

For me, its only practical if you can fine tune the E or D. I misunderstood how it worked.

So tell me this, can you lock the E to perfect pitch, then drop it to D without needing to fine tune and then engage it back up to E without needing to fine tune, and it will be in perfect pitch?

Junk Yard Dog":2bw5jy96 said:
Stramm8":2bw5jy96 said:

For me, its only practical if you can fine tune the E or D. I misunderstood how it worked.

So tell me this, can you lock the E to perfect pitch, then drop it to D without needing to fine tune and then engage it back up to E without needing to fine tune, and it will be in perfect pitch?

Yes, that does work perfectly. You can fine tune it in the D position. I mean it does work well. I’ve been playing with it all day and I haven’t had to unlock the nut to retune.

Yes, that does work perfectly. You can fine tune it in the D position. I mean it does work well. I’ve been playing with it all day and I haven’t had to unlock the nut to retune.

Thank you, that's what I like to hear!

Stramm8":2u15h6ke said:
Junk Yard Dog":2u15h6ke said:
Stramm8":2u15h6ke said:

This is great news!

I just installed one of these on my OFR. Im not sure if I don't have it installed correctly, its seems to operate fine. But in Drop D position, the D is quite sharp. With the fine tuner backed all the way out the only adjustment is to go sharper. Any suggestions?

This is a nice invention, but to be a pessimist, I have some issues. I like to use pointy Charvels and due to the neck angle and lack of string retainer behind the nut, strings go sharp when tightening down on the nut clamps. So not being able to fine tune the E string is a major issue.

Emg77 said:
Tone Vise said:
Could you post a picture of your trem from the side? In drop d it shouldn't be touching the whale tail and the logo should be perpendicular to the face of the guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

Here is a picture.

Youve got it WAY to close. The head of the bolt should be flush with the end if the tone vise not sticking out like you have it. Take it off and thread it on more.

Look at mine. You can see the copper color of my bridge rubbing off on the tone vise because that's all that is actually touching the Trem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but any further and it would so be touching the fine tuning screw

psychodave":1wjr3rn6 said:
This is a nice invention, but to be a pessimist, I have some issues. I like to use pointy Charvels and due to the neck angle and lack of string retainer behind the nut, strings go sharp when tightening down on the nut clamps. So not being able to fine tune the E string is a major issue.

I have this issue as well, but it is easily compensated for. It takes a couple tries before you find that spot that gets it were you want it.

Metlupass2":1wjr3rn6 said:
Emg77":1wjr3rn6 said:
Tone Vise":1wjr3rn6 said:
Could you post a picture of your trem from the side? In drop d it shouldn't be touching the whale tail and the logo should be perpendicular to the face of the guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfXQvzBKWPU

Here is a picture.

Youve got it WAY to close. The head of the bolt should be flush with the end if the tone vise not sticking out like you have it. Take it off and thread it on more.

Look at mine. You can see the copper color of my bridge rubbing off on the tone vise because that's all that is actually touching the Trem.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but any further and it would so be touching the fine tuning screw

that's how it was for me. but it looks like he has enough screw length to get it in the correct spot.

UPDATE: Mark shot me longer screws for my pitch shifter and it made all the difference in the world. It is pretty specific IMO as far as getting it in just the right position away from the tail, but after you install it a couple times it gets much easier. Played 2 gigs this weekend and had no problems. And, only had 2 guitars! Haven't been able to do that in quite a while.

Thanks Mark! Will be buying a couple more in the near future.

psychodave":2wnglqd0 said:

thinking about this, you probably wouldn't like the D-Tuna either.

With both devices, you have to tune one of the notes to pitch and lock it. With the D-Tuna, you tune the D to pitch, vice versa with the Pitch Shifter.

Riggins1966":3c77f501 said:
psychodave":3c77f501 said:

With both devices, you have to tune one of the notes to pitch and lock it. With the D-Tuna, you tune the D to pitch, vice versa with the Pitch Shifter.

I am with Dave on this for similar reasons.

However i do think this is far superior to the dtuna though, i have not tried the pitch shifter.

for the record I have this on my N2 which has an angled headstock. It was about the same getting it locked in at pitch as it was for my Adrian Smith sig. and the tension bar on the Jackson is at the perfect height to not cause it to go sharp when locking it down.

The sharpness comes from the torsion (twist). That's why I wish the Bill Edwards finger tight locking nuts were still in production. They totally eliminated that torsion. The Tone Vise nut looks like a good alternative, but it kinda looks HUGE!.

Any Tone Vise lock nut users on here? Would love to hear a review from a forum member.

Riggins1966":3msnhcjt said:
psychodave":3msnhcjt said:

Yea, but with the d-tuna you can still fine tune at the bridge for E and D. Unfortunately I'm with Dave, especially live where I tend to knock my guitar out of tune a little after each song needing a quick fine tune.

Back