Guitar doesn't feel right

Are your UV pickups mounted to the pickguard? Or the body? That can make a huge difference...especially with 7strings. Is your 3120 mahogay? I think your UV is made with basswood. That can make a difference too.

I have several basswood Ibz 7 strings with the LoPro7 and the Edge Pro7 and I don't notice any difference in resonance. I have a few with pickguards, but I still mount the pups to the body.

Some time guitars with super low action are at the expense of tone and resonance. I dont know the science behind it be Suhr mentioned that too low of action can affect the over all tone of the guitar

Yeah, he already raised the action to see if it helped, and unfortunately it didn't, Scott.

As many here have said, it could just be a dead guitar due to the particular pieces of wood used - not the types, but the actual pieces of wood. All woods can deliver good and bad pieces resonance and tone-wise.

I ended up taking the whole guitar apart. I tightened the neck and nut. I rewired the whole thing. Once I string it up i'll report back.

FWIW, my first 'good' guitar was my MIM Strat i got back in '95, it always sounded dead to me, even after upgrading the electronics. It didn't get played for years when I got other guitars, but a couple years ago I set it up and started playing it again, only to be bummed by the dull sound coming from it. I could see that the finish on it was petty thick, dents would show how thick the poly coat was. It's a very sentimental guitar so I was on the fence about re-finishing it but I did it anyway. Stripped the finish off and immediately, knocking on the body gave an entirely different sound. I'm still between clear coats, but I'm thinking it's going to sound MASSIVELY different once it's back together just based off what it sounds like when I tap the body.

The poly was seriously 3.5mm thick.

RevDrucifer":26quev9q said:
FWIW, my first 'good' guitar was my MIM Strat i got back in '95, it always sounded dead to me, even after upgrading the electronics. It didn't get played for years when I got other guitars, but a couple years ago I set it up and started playing it again, only to be bummed by the dull sound coming from it. I could see that the finish on it was petty thick, dents would show how thick the poly coat was. It's a very sentimental guitar so I was on the fence about re-finishing it but I did it anyway. Stripped the finish off and immediately, knocking on the body gave an entirely different sound. I'm still between clear coats, but I'm thinking it's going to sound MASSIVELY different once it's back together just based off what it sounds like when I tap the body.

The poly was seriously 3.5mm thick.

Curious if you perceive a notable difference when plugged in.

I have a Carvin with a SUPER thick poly finish but I feel the whole body vibrate when I play. Very resonant guitar and sounds great. I also have a Mayo with no poly what so ever and it vibrates really well also when playing. Interestingly the Carvin is a touch louder when unplugged; not that really does't mean much to me because well....I play them plugged in. But I can see how an electric that doesn't vibrate/resonate might not sound good.

I played an Anderson a while back that was the loudest I've ever heard from an electric when played unplugged. I don't know that I noticed if that characteristic had any noticeable affect when plugged in because I didn't compare it to anything else. I would have liked to try it at home and had a chance to play it through my chain and compare against my guitars.

Finally got everything back together. I set it all back up, rewired the whole thing with new wire, tightened everything nicely and I took the tone knob out of the equation just because i felt it killed some high end that the BKP Warpig needs. Acoustically the guitar resonates a lot better and the tone plugged in sounds perfect now. I think I solved most of my problem. Acoustically it's still not quite as loud and nice as my 3120/2127FX but I think that might be because of the paint like one other member was mentioning. I'm going to give it more time but I'm pretty satisfied with how it all turned out.

I tune the low B to Drop A and it's crazy how hitting the string as soft as I do sends that specific string out of tune as much as it does. I have to almost tune it flat just so the initial hit is in tune. It's got a 62 on there now but I might have to upsize just a bit.

Back