Best Boost for Tightening Up An Amp

For me, it depends on the amp.
A Green Rhino is usually the best bet for tightening things up.
My modded TS5 is great, too. They aren't versatile overdrives, and don't do much else for me other than lead boost or tightening an amp.
A Barber LTD or 1/2 Gainer and Timmy can be set to tighten things up, but can also be used as clean boosts and great stand-alone overdrives into a cleanish amp. When set for tightening, you can get a bit more bass and modern tone than with a Tube Screamer variant.
The Klon KTR and Klones also tighten things up, but not as much as the previous pedals, impart a different sound in the mid range, and allow more bass to come through.

I use any of the above for boosting and tightening, depending on what I'm trying to accomplish. For straight up thrash/metal, the Green Rhino or TS5. For anything else it's usually the Timmy or KTR.

Also worth noting is an eq. I can use a cheap Danelectro Fish n Chips in front of any amp to make it super tight.

hammered":1bpcknrf said:
D-Rock":1bpcknrf said:

How does this pedal stack up against other TS type pedal for tightening and boosting , Is it a TS type pedal ?
It's not a TS type or an overdrive at all. It's both a clean boost and an EQ pedal with freq cut & boost capabilities.

I set it so that the level is boosted a bit, and dial the bass and treble in so that they match what the amp is seeing so that they aren't over accentuating or mashing those freq's.

The mid knob has an upper mids and lower mid freq switch.
I use the low mid position, and then scoop them out somewhat. This tightens up the gain and pick attack like no pedal I've had before. The bulk of my midrange then comes from my speakers and the amp itself.

D-Rock":6rfacgj6 said:
hammered":6rfacgj6 said:
D-Rock":6rfacgj6 said:

How does this pedal stack up against other TS type pedal for tightening and boosting , Is it a TS type pedal ?
It's not a TS type or an overdrive at all. It's both a clean boost and an EQ pedal with freq cut & boost capabilities.

I set it so that the level is boosted a bit, and dial the bass and treble in so that they match what the amp is seeing so that they aren't over accentuating or mashing those freq's.

The mid knob has an upper mids and lower mid freq switch.
I use the low mid position, and then scoop them out somewhat. This tightens up the gain and pick attack like no pedal I've had before. The bulk of my midrange then comes from my speakers and the amp itself.

Cool thanks for the info

I was not expecting such a flood of recommendations! I have listened to various videos, gone over reviews, and researched a bit of most of the pedals mentioned here that came up multiple times.

The ones I liked the most (mainly through youtube videos, so I take it as best as I can) are...
- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

I will end up with a Friedman BBoost here pretty soon and I will reply with how it goes.

Just based off your list of amps and the fact you have a Fortin Meshuggah, I'd say you should definitely check out a Grind or Blade in front of that and the Uber. Maybe you already have, I don't know but a boosted Meshuggah amp is a thing of glory.

Qweklain":2vlu5ml9 said:
I was not expecting such a flood of recommendations! I have listened to various videos, gone over reviews, and researched a bit of most of the pedals mentioned here that came up multiple times.

The ones I liked the most (mainly through youtube videos, so I take it as best as I can) are...
- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

I will end up with a Friedman BBoost here pretty soon and I will reply with how it goes.
Those would be my top 2 choices for what you’re describing and they’d contrast each other nicely

The only others I’d also recommend for boosts to tighten things up would be a Timmy V1 or Ethos TLE

The Standout sent my Grind, 33 and Horizon Precision Drive packing fast. It smoked all those and is much cheaper too

swamptrashstompboxes":2aasexuc said:
Timmy or fulldrive 2 mosfet for me.

mosfet. '82 jcm>blackstone 2sv3 is röyálnocheez.
even p90friendly which is pretty fking weird.
1st post hey =\

I've really been digging the buxom boost with the Wizard lately. Adds a welcome amount of saturation/compression for the heavy stuff.

braintheory":38v5p9fh said:
Qweklain":38v5p9fh said:

- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

Those would be my top 2 choices for what you’re describing and they’d contrast each other nicely

The only others I’d also recommend for boosts to tighten things up would be a Timmy V1 or Ethos TLE

The Standout sent my Grind, 33 and Horizon Precision Drive packing fast. It smoked all those and is much cheaper too

It’s crazy how much different the V1 Timmy/Tim sound from the later versions. I have the bread board Timmy (and Tim) and wanted another one to tinker. I got a new one with the switch up top and it was a mushy mess. I couldn’t sell it fast enough. I then found another breadboard Timmy and it was awesome like my other one. The V1’s are tighter and clearer than the newer versions, yet are still very big and open sounding.

psychodave":11ufapkl said:
braintheory":11ufapkl said:
Qweklain":11ufapkl said:

- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

It’s crazy how much different the V1 Timmy/Tim sound from the later versions. I have the bread board Timmy (and Tim) and wanted another one to tinker. I got a new one with the switch up top and it was a mushy mess. I couldn’t sell it fast enough. I then found another breadboard Timmy and it was awesome like my other one. The V1’s are tighter and clearer than the newer versions, yet are still very big and open sounding.

Wonder why they changed the design? I also had one of the later versions and I also couldn't get rid of it fast enough. It sucked and did nothing for the tone.

psychodave":f2fd07q1 said:
braintheory":f2fd07q1 said:
Qweklain":f2fd07q1 said:

- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

Interesting because I have a new Timmy (2017-2018 model) and don't find it mushy at all :confused: It' gets my tone almost as tight as the Savage Drive, Ts9, Buxom Boost, and Duncan 805.

MetalHeadMike":2pxzwk0m said:
psychodave":2pxzwk0m said:
braintheory":2pxzwk0m said:
Qweklain":2pxzwk0m said:

- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

Interesting because I have a new Timmy (2017-2018 model) and don't find it mushy at all :confused: It' gets my tone almost as tight as the Savage Drive, Ts9, Buxom Boost, and Duncan 805.
My Timmy V1 is tighter than my Buxom Boost if set up to be and also tighter than I remember the savage being, while also maintaining more bottom end. The Standout and Ethos TLE are my go to if I want maximum tightness and attack, but my Timmy V1 can still get plenty tight while maintaining good bottom end and is more transparent and versatile. I had a Timmy V2 years ago and remember it being similar, but less tight and not as pleasing in the mids imo, but maybe if I heard them side by side I’d know better

Qweklain":2h5sqlp8 said:

- Friedman Buxom Boost
- VFE Standout

Let us know your thoughts on that should you go with the Buxom Boost :thumbsup:

My initial impressions of my recently acquired Buxom Boost with the Uber (Rev blue) were not overwhelmingly good but I didn't mess with it a whole lot because I am so infatuated with how well it meshes with the Wizard.

I'll have to revisit the Uber with the Buxom tomorrow night and fiddle with some settings.

Back