BOSS WAZA tube amp expander?

JTyson

Very interested in one of these, looks killer for a wet/dry/wet and studio setup. Looks like an improved version of the UA OX with way more routing and setup options. To be released soon-https://youtu.be/_WhTRToGz6Q

I'm interested in one also. It has so much shit jammed into it. It says it's also an interface but i'm curious how good it is for an interface in terms of latency and what not. And it's suppose to have 16 switchable reactive loads based on different speaker types. I'm curious if those loads make any difference vs Suhr's one reactive load? I was told they go on sale June 17th. For $1200 I may not jump in head first and see how the reviews are.

I would probably go UA over anything boss tbh, but the waza pedals do sound killer. As far as reputation goes UA is top tier.

Saying that I will probably go the cheaper route and go with some two notes varient.

Dave Friedman states on Facebook that he tested out a lot of units among UA Ox and Suhr. The Waza won above them all.

I like the flexibility of it vs the OX, I know UA makes great stuff, I have a bunch of it. But for the same money, if I can have that kind of flexibility for live recording, playing as well as a studio setup, its a very appealing package. For the record, I have Roland/Boss stuff that is over 30 years old and still works great, so Im not worried about build quality.
Our bass player has an OX and loves it, so I know its a good unit, and it sounds great.
I see a trend forming here, its a killer idea, but I wish they would have included L/R line outs for running your own power amp, of course I haven't heard the internal amp, it may sound great so I may be jumping the gun here. Also a stereo efx loop would have been nice for studio work.
Great stuff, its not at the top of my list, but its second on it if the initial race test's prove it to sound as good as the OX. In the end, the unit that sounds closer to the actual amp is likely gonna get my money

errrrrl":1yy1xip3 said:
I'm interested in one also. It has so much shit jammed into it. It says it's also an interface but i'm curious how good it is for an interface in terms of latency and what not. And it's suppose to have 16 switchable reactive loads based on different speaker types. I'm curious if those loads make any difference vs Suhr's one reactive load? I was told they go on sale June 17th. For $1200 I may not jump in head first and see how the reviews are.
Im very curious about this as well, although I have a killer interface so that aspect is not really a factor for me. I think they could have left that out, most people who need an interface want to record a lot more than just their guitar and would likely already have one

JTyson":1oknmtf6 said:
errrrrl":1oknmtf6 said:
Im very curious about this as well, although I have a killer interface so that aspect is not really a factor for me. I think they could have left that out, most people who need an interface want to record a lot more than just their guitar and would likely already have one
True. I think in my case I went with the Suhr IR at the beginning of the year and just upgraded my interface to a RME UCX and am wondering if I should have just waited for the tube amp expander since it has it all :doh: Oh well.

As for UA and the Ox, I still haven't heard anything amazing in terms of high gain/metal recordings so there is zero gas for it. And the lack of Windows/Android pretty much makes it useless for myself. If Dave Friedman says the Waza blew them all away then shit... it might be upgrade time again lol

errrrrl":25mtg6i2 said:
JTyson":25mtg6i2 said:
errrrrl":25mtg6i2 said:
True. I think in my case I went with the Suhr IR at the beginning of the year and just upgraded my interface to a RME UCX and am wondering if I should have just waited for the tube amp expander since it has it all :doh: Oh well.

As for UA and the Ox, I still haven't heard anything amazing in terms of high gain/metal recordings so there is zero gas for it. And the lack of Windows/Android pretty much makes it useless for myself. If Dave Friedman says the Waza blew them all away then shit... it might be upgrade time again lol
Yeah, I haven't heard any heavy recordings on an OX yet, so I don't know. I'll have to talk Jerry into bringing his over so we can race test it. All Ive heard is those clean and edge of breakup tones that only those guys fawn over. I'll run the 5 stage Langner into it and give it a proper recording test vs miking up a cab and see how it comes out soon as I get a chance. I'm slammed with work at the moment :doh:

The OX is due for an update and once they put in a V30 Cab, it may be more versatile with some heavier sounding amps. I’ve used mine with a JP-2C as well as my BE-50. I have not been disappointed with mine in the least. I have used it for more than a year now and it has worked amazingly well with recording and live work.

I am looking at the TAE as well because I like a lot of the functionality of it and some of the front panel features for on the fly adjustments. The built in power amp is near as well because if my amp was ever to go down, I could literally grab my board and run it into this as a quick backup for playing live.

PBGas":26nvro5k said:
The OX is due for an update and once they put in a V30 Cab, it may be more versatile with some heavier sounding amps. I’ve used mine with a JP-2C as well as my BE-50. I have not been disappointed with mine in the least. I have used it for more than a year now and it has worked amazingly well with recording and live work.

Just curious if you have actually heard of an update coming down the pipe? It seems like UA has been dragging their feet hardcore with updates on the OX. Either way, my main cab for metal is a 4x12 with Greenbacks, so I'm not convinced for the need for a V30 loaded cab to get heavy tones.

You're also the first person I've seen comment on good heavy tones from the OX. A lot of users say the room mics in the OX are what really help it shine. I wonder if the Boss TAE will have these too?

Meeotch":asdbaeah said:
PBGas":asdbaeah said:

Just curious if you have actually heard of an update coming down the pipe? It seems like UA has been dragging their feet hardcore with updates on the OX. Either way, my main cab for metal is a 4x12 with Greenbacks, so I'm not convinced for the need for a V30 loaded cab to get heavy tones.

You're also the first person I've seen comment on good heavy tones from the OX. A lot of users say the room mics in the OX are what really help it shine. I wonder if the Boss TAE will have these too?

We keep getting hints from Drew @ UA on the updates that they have heard loud and clear on the OX. The V30 cab and I believe the USB piece are what they have noted. Now, as far as a date for that, your guess is as good as mine. I would think they would have shown the update at MusicMesse but nothing came about. They did introduce the UA OX back at the 2017 Summer Namm so perhaps history will repeat itself with an update at that time?

I really like the unit! I do also like what is on the TAE but I just haven't heard enough on it to make me want to get it as of yet. Still, no denying that Boss has a solid product coming out!

I’m a little bummed the Boss unit has such little power.

I’ve been hoping to find some Power Station type device to increase the power of an Ampeg B15 bass amp (30 watt tube amp). But the 50 Power Station and 100 watt TAE aren’t going to cut it. A Suhr load and separate power amp could work just is just a bit of a hassle.

Don't forget the OX is Ipad and Mac only. Not even Iphone, which would a gift for live. Waza will be supported on all platforms.

Notice the main Waza ad. Using a Friedman amp. Boss was using Friedman amps at the Namm show as well. This is wonderful that Dave said it blows them all away. He is a great guy and I have a bunch of his products that I use and love. Not suggesting anything at all here. May be just a coincidence. Maybe they have some kind of working relationship. Dave probably loaned out the amps to them. Pretty smart thing to do and pretty cool on his part as well. Can't wait to hear more on the product and hopefully some reviews of folks that get them early.

There are so many features on this product that I like. The ability to rack mount it, the internal power supply instead of a brick, the built in power amp. It is missing any kind of bluetooth connection though which would have been nice but again, not a deal break. I'm still considering one as well.

Kind of wish they had a Royer 121 for one of the mics but they have not included that model which is a shame.....however, that is what updates are for so you never know.

Some great modelled cabs though, so all good.

:rock:

It’s kind of a feature thing tho isn’t it? It comes down to whether you want IR capability or not. I’m sure some will really enjoy the UAs speaker emulation, but in the end it is still a limiting factor in comparison. Add in the built in effects and this Boss thing is really without equal from what I can see. Just checks more boxes.

That being said, if it sells you’ve got to think Line 6 and/or Fractal will do something similar. Which is great IMO—these tools make things easy that were only achievable with very complicated rigs just a few years ago.

I currently run the Suhr Reactive Load into my Axe-Fox III for IR’s and effects. Works amazing.

I think the Waza TAE looks amazing too and I would be on it if not for being tied to IR’s that only work on Fractal gear. Kind of sucks, but I really like the IR’s I made with Cab Lab3 and hate to give them up. So I’m holding out until Fractal releases something like this. I don’t even know if something like this is in the works, but it seems like it would have to be. They’ve already invested in Cab Lab, IR’s and a Reactive Load box.

stratjacket":3eiyks5y said:
I think the Waza TAE looks amazing too and I would be on it if not for being tied to IR’s that only work on Fractal gear.

Just clarifying--the Boss takes any IR's--except of course the ones that Fractal holds behind their closed system. Which does kinda suck, and is part of the reason I flipped my modeling over to L6. Believe me, there are plenty of IRs out there as "good" as the Fractal ones.

I wouldn't count on Fractal rushing into anything "all in one" anytime soon. They (allegedly) JUST combined their "floor amp and effects unit" with their "floor effects unit" which was a headscratcher IMO from the jump. Great product but a little behind the curve tech UI and trend wise for something that commands such a premium.

Back