High Gain + Creambacks: G12H-75 vs G12M-65

Well gas struck so I have an H75 on the way. I plan on pairing it with a V30 in my Stoneage 212C, I'll be sure to post my findings when it arrives.

I'm thinking of replacing the Greenbacks on top of my Friedman 4x12: I just don't like them as much. Too much sizzle for me. perhaps that's the speaker breaking up earlier due to low wattage?

I'd like to try something else and am torn between CB H75 or M65. I know the H75 can also be a bit bitey, and I want the amp to add that via Treble and Presence (I play Friedmans, so they have plenty of that).

Any recent experiences between the two Creambacks in this context?

Cheers!

Junk Yard Dog":2v3ojnxn said:
I'm thinking of replacing the Greenbacks on top of my Friedman 4x12: I just don't like them as much. Too much sizzle for me. perhaps that's the speaker breaking up earlier due to low wattage?
I'd like to try something else and am torn between CB H75 or M65. I know the H75 can also be a bit bitey, and I want the amp to add that via Treble and Presence (I play Friedmans, so they have plenty of that).
Cheers!

Heritage G12H-30 55hz. may be for you then... they sound good at all volumes nice woody mid, tight lows, nice high end detail without the sizzle. At lower volumes I found my greenbacks to be to high endy, sizzle(as you describe), the greenbacks do sound better at band volumes in my experience. I had considered the H65 and H75 Creamback prior to my purchase as well.

Junk Yard Dog":2yyc171t said:

Cheers!

Both the Creamback M65 and H75 have more mid-range bark than the Greenback, which has a little bit more sizzle in comparison. So either one might work better for you. I haven't played the M65s. But the H75s are very similar to Greenbacks. Just more full sounding across the spectrum.

Junk Yard Dog":33othjwm said:

Cheers!

I can't speak to the CB65, but I love the CB75 - they are a little bitey - as you say - which is why I like them. I have a quad in a wizard cab, which is similar to the Friedman cab (I've owned both at the same time). I have another wizard cab loaded with Fane F70s - and in comparison, they are a little smoother and less bite. The Fanes would probably be right up your ally.

I used a mix of Creamback 65s & 75s in my Wizard 4x12 with the MTL. It was a pretty awesome combo.
Yes the 75s definitely have more bite and sizzle than the 65s, but they paired well together.

Since then Ive switched to a combo of Redbacks on the bottom and Creamback 65s on top, with a 100 watt Jubilee. This is my favorite combo Ive tried so far! But probably not ideal for modern metal.

mhenson42":1yhz59t4 said:
Junk Yard Dog":1yhz59t4 said:

Cheers!

I can't speak to the CB65, but I love the CB75 - they are a little bitey - as you say - which is why I like them. I have a quad in a wizard cab, which is similar to the Friedman cab (I've owned both at the same time). I have another wizard cab loaded with Fane F70s - and in comparison, they are a little smoother and less bite. The Fanes would probably be right up your ally.

Cool, man. Are the Fane 70s you speak of the Ascension F70s?

Yeah the H is better for high gain. M is fine but should be mixed and not be alone in 2x12. I do have a 2x12 with H75 and wondering if I should swap 1 out as well. I havent tried it yet in loud band situation

halebox":w1pe20jn said:
Yeah the H is better for high gain. M is fine but should be mixed and not be alone in 2x12. I do have a 2x12 with H75 and wondering if I should swap 1 out as well. I haven't tried it yet in loud band situation

You might consider trying a 50W WGS Invader 50. It's a bit more open/detailed sounding than a G12M-65, but still smooth. The secondary 3.5kHz peak is located above the "harder" sounding ~3kHz range of the Celestion, so it's less fatiguing at high volumes. Might be a tad more "Metal" in the 4-4.5kHz range as well, and is cheaper than the Celestion. I'd put that on top in a vertical cab, so the thump from the H is still strong.

I have a Splawn 4x12 with Gh12-65s and Emminence Small blocks in an X pattern. I currently run a Chupacabra 100, Mesa Boogie Jp-2C thru it and occasionally a DsL40c. It crushes for high gain. WAAAY better then the Marshall Silver Jubilee 40 x12 with V30s in it.

Junk Yard Dog":2u5ibt4g said:
mhenson42":2u5ibt4g said:
Junk Yard Dog":2u5ibt4g said:

Cheers!

Cool, man. Are the Fane 70s you speak of the Ascension F70s?

Yes. Avatar distributes them...

https://avatarspeakers.com/shop/speakers/ascension-f70/

FourT6and2":1e0whh6d said:
Put the quad of G12H-75s in today and gave my new KSR Gemini a whirl through the cab.

Initial impressions are...

Fuck yes. :D

Angry. Tight low end. Snarly upper mids. Treble is not harsh at all, but it's a cutting, searing sound. I must have torqued the speakers down just right because there's that sort of semi-hollow lower mid range that is hard to explain. But I like it. Through the original speakers, it was I was fighting the amp. Now it's like the demon's been unleashed lol. Cliche as hell. But whatever. These might just overthrow the G12M-25 as my favorite speaker... I'll have to run my Chupacabra through this cab now to see.

One thing I did differently from any other cab I've had, though, is wiring it at 8 ohms. All my other cabs and speakers are 16. I don't know why. I've just always bought 16-ohm-speakers. But thought I'd give 8 ohm a try. I don't think that's the big thing about this setup, but I'm very happy!
Still into these H75s? I need two of something to blend and since nothing van touch my creamback g12m cab I have to ask...

Bump. Still on the quest. Was thinking to replace the Greenbacks on top of my Friedman 4x12 with Creambacks or Mesa V30s. Just want more power and balls.

Gsxrbusa":21kbzzp9 said:
FourT6and2":21kbzzp9 said:
Ok, thanks! I'll give 'em a shot.

cecilbag":21kbzzp9 said:
That makes me want to get some 75s as well.

Sweet! The 75w is like the perfect V30. No honk in mids and smoother top end.
I'm likely swapping out 2 x V30s in my OS412 Bogner cab for 2 x Cream75s. After a lot of R&D, seems the 75s have a "knock" to them and pair well with the V30s for more aggressive music - and they also sound good clean. That one dude from Windowpane that exhibits a lot of gesticulation whilst playing does a bang up A/B comparo:

I'm going with 75s as I want low end maintained, and knock. Punch. Growl. Clear open throttled goodness.

Considering all the British style speakers brands, I think Scumback offers the best sounding Brit types to date -- all factory broken in for ~$180 shipped. B4 buying any more Celestions, I'd get a good grasp of all the Scumback variants. The 65W or 100W rated M75, H75 or J75 (like V-type) might do the trick for you. They also offer "-PVC" versions that have a more "woody" sound, as well as some wide dust cap versions with a smoother high end for high gain playing. They also have 55Hz M & H and the harder/sharper sounding Blackback M & H cone versions, as well as the more expensive AlNiCo Silver and Blue types. They sound just as described, so you can really hone in on what you want.

Ventura":72iyn1q6 said:
Gsxrbusa":72iyn1q6 said:
FourT6and2":72iyn1q6 said:
Ok, thanks! I'll give 'em a shot.

cecilbag":72iyn1q6 said:
That makes me want to get some 75s as well.

Sweet! The 75w is like the perfect V30. No honk in mids and smoother top end.
I'm likely swapping out 2 x V30s in my OS412 Bogner cab for 2 x Cream75s. After a lot of R&D, seems the 75s have a "knock" to them and pair well with the V30s for more aggressive music - and they also sound good clean. That one dude from Windowpane that exhibits a lot of gesticulation whilst playing does a bang up A/B comparo:

I'm going with 75s as I want low end maintained, and knock. Punch. Growl. Clear open throttled goodness.

I have a KSR 2x12 on order with 1 V30 and 1 Creamback 75. So I'm glad to hear this. I have a Splawn cab with 2 Creamback 65's and while it's a great cab I think it's better suited for lower gain applications.

GCKelloch":isspx9eu said:
Considering all the British style speakers brands, I think Scumback offers the best sounding Brit types to date -- all factory broken in for ~$180 shipped. B4 buying any more Celestions, I'd get a good grasp of all the Scumback variants. The 65W or 100W rated M75, H75 or J75 (like V-type) might do the trick for you. They also offer "-PVC" versions that have a more "woody" sound, as well as some wide dust cap versions with a smoother high end for high gain playing. They also have 55Hz M & H and the harder/sharper sounding Blackback M & H cone versions, as well as the more expensive AlNiCo Silver and Blue types. They sound just as described, so you can really hone in on what you want.
Absolutely NO denying that Jim's speakers are top-drawer. Was just trying to stay in the parameters of "all things Celestion" for purpose of the thread. But ya, Jim / Scumback are unto a league of their own IMHO.

Still rocking the 75s in my Bogner 4x12. They're great speakers. I don't even use my Greenback cab anymore. Might do something with that one and try some Scumbacks for the hell of it. I'm kinda curious how the M65 Creambacks sound in comparison, though.

Two Creamback 65's in my Achillies semi-open back 2x12 cab:

I know I'm not really a hard-edged metal player, but even with my Drop C tuned Edwards I thought the 65's were plenty tight.

Back